The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6860
So if am Pakistani and i was born in UK and i became a professional tennis player which team do i play for England or Pakistan? Could i chose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6861
Original post by ubi1
So if am Pakistani and i was born in UK and i became a professional tennis player which team do i play for England or Pakistan? Could i chose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can choose if you have dual citizenship, I might be wrong but if your parents were born in Pakistani and you were born here then it means you have dual citizenship. Don't know about you but I'd choose the country I've lived in for most of my life and identify as.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6862
Federer almost gave me a heart attack today. He still needs weeks to get used to the new racket.
Reply 6863
Original post by slayer12
Haha you guys must agree that Asia should produce more quality tennis players, India have Paes, Bopanna, Bhupathi, Mirza, but really I don't understand why tennis is not promoted at all in sub continent and south east Asia. Especially considering they're good at Cricket, Hockey, Badminton etc

Because it's all about cricket over there which I don't quite understand. Tennis is miles better than cricket but still all they care about is cricket. So boring!
Original post by Roger1
Federer almost gave me a heart attack today. He still needs weeks to get used to the new racket.

I'll summarise:

Good first set - good serving, no shanks at all, composed in the tie-break

Second set: exact opposite. Lot of shanks and disinterested returns, a few good shots and wtf was going on with that jumper?!

Third set: poor at the start, gave away two breaks of serve, but played cleanly overall and was brilliant in the big moments. Served out to love, which is good.

So, it's still a consistency issue.
Reply 6865
Original post by Roger1
Because it's all about cricket over there which I don't quite understand. Tennis is miles better than cricket but still all they care about is cricket. So boring!

Which sport is better will always be a personal opinion, but they have large numbers of people over there, hence no reason why talent should not be able to emerge over time, if facilities and coaches are in place. Btw I was talking about South East Asia as well, where neither cricket nor tennis are widely played
Reply 6866
Original post by Krish4791
I'll summarise:

Good first set - good serving, no shanks at all, composed in the tie-break

Second set: exact opposite. Lot of shanks and disinterested returns, a few good shots and wtf was going on with that jumper?!

Third set: poor at the start, gave away two breaks of serve, but played cleanly overall and was brilliant in the big moments. Served out to love, which is good.

So, it's still a consistency issue.

I just hope Fed didn't hurt his back but that jumper was classic LOL though.
And Fabio Fognini makes it through to the Hamburg final with a win over 2nd seed Almagro. Tipsarevic, meanwhile carries on losing - how on earth he managed to reach the Top 8 is beyond me.
Reply 6868
Have you seen Federer's new outfit?

fedvest.png
Original post by Krish4791
Tipsarevic, meanwhile carries on losing - how on earth he managed to reach the Top 8 is beyond me.

Its a shame because I like tipsy as a player. However he has been pretty non existing since the world tour finals, as if it finished him - he was so bloody poor and frustrating against Troicki at Wimbledon!
Reply 6870
Not sure if I'm correct on this but if Anderson wins in Bogota I think it will be the first time ever there isn't an American in the ATP top 20.
Federer loses to Delbonis in two-tiebreak sets. He didn't play badly, but he was too conservative at times and allowed Delbonis to play his absolute best tennis and dictate a lot of points. On to Gstaad next week - needs to get more practice in, although I would have much preferred for him to play a warm-up hard court tournament.
Reply 6872
Please retire Federer or give it your all. It's so depressing seeing him lose to players outside the top 100. What has gone wrong in the space of 6 months? Until the AO this year, he was fine but it has been a downhill slope since then. Fix up Roger!
Reply 6873
Original post by Roger1
Please retire Federer or give it your all. It's so depressing seeing him lose to players outside the top 100. What has gone wrong in the space of 6 months? Until the AO this year, he was fine but it has been a downhill slope since then. Fix up Roger!

It was only a 500 event, I think he was going for matches rather then really trying to win it.
Original post by Roger1

That loss to Murray at the AO must have really knocked his confidence badly. He's low on confidence, as evidenced today by his sometimes conservative play.

EDIT: Wow, his Facebook fans are far from impressed - they're giving him an earful on his page.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6875
It was only a 500 event, I think he was going for matches rather then really trying to win it.

That loss to Murray at the AO must have really knocked his confidence badly. He's low on confidence, as evidenced today by his sometimes conservative play.

Where was the power? I thought the bigger racket was meant to put more pop on his serve and groundstrokes. He was getting overpowered by a Challenger level player. The newer racket isn't gonna do jack ****. He has to hit the gym and work out. The guy is skinny as a giraffe.

And why is he playing on clay anyway? He has declined on all surfaces, but more so on clay
. He should have gone to bogota and then to Atlanta instead of playing Hamburg and Gstaad. He should totally scrap the clay season from his next year's schedule if he is planning on playing beyond this year which seems unlikely to me tbh.
Federer was playing with tape on his back

Also, it's hard to judge the impact of a new racquet by only 2-3 clay court 500 matches.

Federer suffers A LOT if his footwork/movement is poor - Personally, I'd want to quit tennis out of sheer frustration by not hitting balls you know you could get to in years during your prime. I don't know how long a Federer like this can play till 2016 Olympics.
Federer fans shouldn't panic just yet - he still brings it to the majors even if Wimbledon was not a good sign. I saw some highlights of his matches the other day and my impression of the impact of the racket on his game was that it was helping much more when defending but so far hasn't added much to his attack. I wonder if it has impacted on his racquet head speed somewhat.
LOL, I don't believe it. Gstaad has given Federer another cow for accepting entry into the tournament! This one's called Desiree apparently...

http://tennis.si.com/2013/07/23/roger-federer-cow-swiss-open/
Reply 6879
^That's one sexy cow if you ask me especially with all the flowers. :biggrin:

Latest