The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6900
Original post by kbountra
It's a tough one because realistically Federer has no chance of winning Roland Garros again. I'm not sure he can afford to go 10 weeks without playing competitive tennis though by skipping the clay court season. It hasn't done him much good playing such a limited schedule this year. Will be interesting to see if he decides to continue with the larger racket.

But playing on clay isn't doing him much good either.
Original post by Roger1
But playing on clay isn't doing him much good either.

This back problem has been causing him trouble for some time. Playing on clay isn't the reason for his injury- playing whilst injured is.
Reply 6902
Original post by kbountra
This back problem has been causing him trouble for some time. Playing on clay isn't the reason for his injury- playing whilst injured is.

But given his form and his WTF position in doubt he has to play even more tournaments to qualify for it, which is probably one of the reasons why he decided to play Hamburg and Gstaad. I won't be surprised to see him enter a few smaller tournaments that he probably hasn't played before during the fall, if his form doesn't pick up during the US open series.

Did his back injury had a recurrence at Hamburg because he looked fine at Wimbledon?
Troicki banned for 18 months for doping violation :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23459655
Original post by Roger1
But given his form and his WTF position in doubt he has to play even more tournaments to qualify for it, which is probably one of the reasons why he decided to play Hamburg and Gstaad. I won't be surprised to see him enter a few smaller tournaments that he probably hasn't played before during the fall, if his form doesn't pick up during the US open series.

Did his back injury had a recurrence at Hamburg because he looked fine at Wimbledon?

I had doubts over his back at Wimbledon because he didn't look quite right against Stakhovsky. May be wrong though. If he had a recurrence at Hamburg, then it could have been provoked by the rapid transition between surfaces. He's normally fine though when going from clay to the grass.

If Federer only plays Cincy, it's not ideal preparation for the US Open. I reckon he'll be okay (just about) for the tour finals but yeah, agree we could see him playing a few smaller events just to be safe.
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin

Seems a little harsh but this sends out a message, even if Troicki was negligent in not providing the blood sample. I'm not convinced he's on drugs but testing in tennis is so rare these days that it's easy to be suspicious.
Reply 6906

I wonder if it was one of the top guys instead of Troicki, would they still have handed out a ban, let alone one that lasts 18 months? I don't think so.
Original post by Roger1
I wonder if it was one of the top guys instead of Troicki, would they still have handed out a ban, let alone one that lasts 18 months? I don't think so.

We've seen in other sports, most notably athletics and cycling, that authorities are happy to come down on the big names and in the cases where the big names got away with, or were allowed to get away with it, for a long time the truth nearly always comes out eventually. The risk the authorities take by covering up, not catching or not enforcing bans is huge. In this instance people will lose faith in Troicki but if a ban isn't handed out, regardless of the player involved, people will lose their faith in tennis.
Shame about the current state of affairs that Fed is in, still at least this reminds me of much happier times :adore:

Federer should retire once he drops out of top 16. (Seeding for masters, which are the best tournaments RF can realistically win consistently now)
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
Federer should retire once he drops out of top 16. (Seeding for masters, which are the best tournaments RF can realistically win consistently now)

I don't think he will - there are people like Tommy Haas and Lleyton Hewitt who are older than him and still enjoy playing the game, occasionally embarking on a glorious run through a tournament. Once he drops out of the Top 10, I think he'll enter that category and probably retire in about 3 years. (He may not care that much about being seeded for Masters events)
Reply 6911

Lol you're surprised?! They're all doing it mate...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6912
Hi guys. For those of you who can execute massive flat serves and kick serves

-I've just found out I've been doing the flat serve wrong all the time I've been playing tennis. I need to start working on pronating (leading with the racket edge) from tomorrow. At the moment my serve speed is accurate and fast enough to not hand the receiver the advantage, but not fast enough to ace any decent opponents. So maybe 70mph, although I don't have a speed gun so can't really say. I know over the internet most people massively overestimate their serve speeds so I'm trying not to.
How much more speed do you think pronating adds to the flat serve? If I get the proper technique working could I start hitting a few aces a match?

-I'm also trying to learn the kick serve. I've been working on the technique and my coach seems to think I'm getting it right, but when I actually watch the ball, it often has only sidespin on it, or maybe spins from 8 to 2 at most. It arcs high over the net, although I can't really tell whether it "kicks" or not.
What should the spin on the ball look like (what angle should it be spinning) for a kick serve? Should there be more topspin or sidespin?

-My attempts at kick serves also bounce to the left, like a slice serve (I'm a righty), which apparently shouldn't be happening. What am I doing wrong? Being able to hit one of those twist serves that spin to the left then kick to the right would be great
Two points for discussion:

1) Who will be the next player of the current crop to win a grand slam other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray

2) Will Murray ever win the AO or the French?
Reply 6914
1) If you mean just to win one, probably Delpo. For a first-timer I have no idea. Probably Janowicz at Wimbledon.
2) AO - Pretty good chance, French - Pretty unlikely given his history on clay.
Reply 6915

1) Who will be the next player of the current crop to win a grand slam other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray

1. Del Potro

2. Aussie, probably. French, not a chance.

1) Delpo has the best chance but I think the next guy to dominate is currently an unknown or possibly junior player. No one stands out to me of the current crop.

2) AO yes definitely. I can see Murray improving on clay but there's a bit of a gulf at the moment between his game on the red stuff and other surfaces. Unlikely he'll win the French. Still find it remarkable how Tim Henman made the semis there with a serve-volley game.
Reply 6917
Anybody seen this stuff about Cilic apparently failing a doping test in Munich in April I think? Just Croatian sites atm but worrying for tennis.
I can see Troicki's ban being reduced significantly. Zahlavova-Strycova got only 6 months for testing positive for a banned stimulant. Her excuse was unwittingly taking a supplement but as an athlete it's her responsibility to know what's going in her system. She got off lightly imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6919

1) Probably Delpo or JJ. I've no hope in Dimitrov, Raonic and Tomic.

2) Murray will definitely win the AO somewhere down the line, especially if he can get a mental edge over Djokovic, it'll be a big help. However, I don't see him ever making the finals of FO, let alone win it. There are at least 10 guys better than Murray on clay, and given that clay takes a huge toll on his back, his chances of lifting the RG trophy are next to nothing.

Latest