Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    just filled out a prediction..

hard though - I think ive gone a little obvious, but I really wanted to put janowicz to cause an upset and beat nadal..
    Yeah, I've gone with the assumption that Nadal will eventually prevail in 3 sets and go right through to the semis. Then again, it's not clay so anything could happen with him.

(Damn, this is actually quite hard - I want to do quite well this time!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Yeah, I've gone with the assumption that Nadal will eventually prevail in 3 sets and go right through to the semis. Then again, it's not clay so anything could happen with him.

(Damn, this is actually quite hard - I want to do quite well this time!)
    later rounds seem fairly predictable - but I dont follow tennis cloesly enough to correctly predict who will win out of X player ranked 125, and X player ranked 138

ReputationRep:
    I went with Murray as the victor, but picked Rafa to beat Djokovic, which doesn't make sense, but I reckon it will be a fairly even contest, even on a hard court.

Nadal-Janowicz could be a good match, don't think they've ever met before.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    ATP Draw Challenge has opened up again. I'm going to go for a Djokovic-Murray final, but if an in-form Del Potro turns up, he could wreck all my plans ...
    Realistically i think that only Murray, Djokovic and Del Potro can win this and given that their only competitive meeting since 09 was won by Del Potro at Indian Wells i'm half tempted to go for it.

He's yet to lose a set though at Washington.

ReputationRep:
    When's the deadline for the predicting? Don't get home until late tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)
    When's the deadline for the predicting? Don't get home until late tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't worry, we've been given plenty of time - I think it only closes on Monday at 12pm Eastern Time

At least that way we may actually see who the qualifiers are and get some of them right!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, both Nadal and Murray are playing doubles in Montreal. Murray with Fleming and Nadal with Andujar.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal/fed vs Murray/djokovic would be amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nadal/fed vs Murray/djokovic would be amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Now? Or hypothetically, in everyone's absolute primes? Tbh, either way, I'd pay a lot of money to see that

ReputationRep:
    I can think of some pretty good doubles match-ups like this featuring the Big 4 at Slam level (assuming everyone was in their prime):

Murray/Djokovic OR Djokovic/Nadal OR Federer/Djokovic at the AO - this is the most open one really. They've all had reasonable success at the AO, but Djokovic would need to be one of the 2 given his record there. I'd say the choice would depend on the surface. On the old green Rebound Ace, I'd pick the Federer/Djokovic duo, but on the current Plexicushion Murray and Nadal would be more suited as partners.

Djokovic/Nadal OR Federer/Nadal at the French - very daunting prospect indeed! On clay, Rafa needs no introduction. Djokovic is very good at just grinding it out and keeping up a rally, but when Fed played at RG in 2006/07 he had a very interesting attacking approach on clay and the contrasting Fed/Rafa styles could prove extremely difficult to figure out.

Federer/Murray OR Federer/Nadal at Wimbledon - now THAT would be a sight! Fed and Murray would be immense IMO - they both have a very solid all-round game and so would be devastating wherever they were on the court. If you drop the ball short or attempt a lob, they kill you at the net, if you come to the net they'll find a way to pass you perfectly (esp. Murray), they'll even out-serve you, outdo you in court coverage and footwork. Their games are so naturally suited for grass it's unreal. Fed/Rafa of course being another deadly combo; I imagine they'd have Fed as more of the net player with Rafa hanging around the back of the court

Federer/Djokovic OR Djokovic/Murray at the US Open - also quite daunting. Could even throw in Nadal if he can bomb down a few of those flat serves.

Shame this kind of stuff only happens in dreams

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with Nole for the victory against someone other Murray in the final. Murray has a really tough draw, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose to Dimitrov, Gulbis or Delpo, but given that his draws tend to open up, he can very well be in the final. Either way, Novak is winning this and if Murray makes it to the final, Djoko is getting his revenge for that Wimbledon defeat, given that the court tends to play quite slow and Nole is a superior slow HC player. Nadal will probably have an early upset, if not then Nole is dealing with him in the SFs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro plays Isner tonight in the Washington final, yet to drop a set and a two time champion there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    Interesting, both Nadal and Murray are playing doubles in Montreal. Murray with Fleming and Nadal with Andujar.
    Nadal has played doubles there every year he has been fit since 2005. He actually seems to play a lot of doubles in North America. He's got a really good doubles record at Indian Wells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Nadal has played doubles there every year he has been fit since 2005. He actually seems to play a lot of doubles in North America. He's got a really good doubles record at Indian Wells.
    In the past 3 years his record has been phenomenal - two titles and an SF in 2011. Everybody goes on about how Rafa's not a great net player/volleyer but the results say otherwise - I didn't even realise that in 2004 he made the US Open doubles semi-final. That was long before he had refined his volleying technique, which is really impressive. True he doesn't have the best technique in the game, but he volleys superbly under pressure and has a great sense of when to move forward to take one on. It's probably the reason McEnroe rates Rafa's volleying skills so highly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    In the past 3 years his record has been phenomenal - two titles and an SF in 2011. Everybody goes on about how Rafa's not a great net player/volleyer but the results say otherwise - I didn't even realise that in 2004 he made the US Open doubles semi-final. That was long before he had refined his volleying technique, which is really impressive. True he doesn't have the best technique in the game, but he volleys superbly under pressure and has a great sense of when to move forward to take one on. It's probably the reason McEnroe rates Rafa's volleying skills so highly.
    I didn't know he'd made the semis at the US Open. I'm impressed.

A lot of the top guys seem to play doubles at Indian Wells. The year Nadal reached the semi he lost to Federer and Wawrinka. Not sure why so many of the them play there though.

ReputationRep:
    Delpo losing to Isner. :eek: Although to be fair, John has played really well so far and the way he is serving, it's very hard to break him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What a shot!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Isner broken.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I think serve bots are classic part of tennis, it is dull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As much as I think serve bots are classic part of tennis, it is dull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Del Potro serving for the second.

I never saw the first set so i don't know why he's losing but the Del Potro forehand is just unreal.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.