Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hamburg was dropped for shanghai, and Madrid went to clay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)
    Hamburg was dropped for shanghai, and Madrid went to clay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But then if someone Hamburg when it was a Masters event, does that no longer "count" or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    But then if someone Hamburg when it was a Masters event, does that no longer "count" or what?
    I think Hamburg "counts" in Madrid's current slot and Madrid Indoors in Shanghai's slot.

ReputationRep:
    Think its called the career golden masters

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was Masters set or Super 9, winning all 9 means Masters set. Winning all 9 including the Masters cup/WTF means Career golden Masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    I think Hamburg "counts" in Madrid's current slot and Madrid Indoors in Shanghai's slot.
    So with Federer and Nadal, what is the deal then? Federer has won Hamburg 4 times and Old Madrid once, Nadal has won Hamburg once and Old Madrid twice. What does that equate to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    I thought it was Masters set or Super 9, winning all 9 means Masters set. Winning all 9 including the Masters cup/WTF means Career golden Masters.
    Theres an article on the atp website which shows the official name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So with Federer and Nadal, what is the deal then? Federer has won Hamburg 4 times and Old Madrid once, Nadal has won Hamburg once and Old Madrid twice. What does that equate to?
    AFAIK, Roger has 7/9, missing Rome and Monte Carlo. Nadal has 6/9, missing Miami, Cincinnati and Paris.

ReputationRep:
    Federer would definitely had all the Masters a while if it wasn't for nadal... likewise nadal has his master count lead due to clay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Federer would definitely had all the Masters a while if it wasn't for nadal... likewise nadal has his master count lead due to clay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Roger would have a lot if not for Nadal.

ReputationRep:
    A HELL of a lot, not least probably winning 11 consecutive GS titles (i.e. 2 consecutive Calendar year GSs).

Surprising Nadal has never won Miami though - I thought he would have at some point in his career.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    A HELL of a lot, not least probably winning 11 consecutive GS titles (i.e. 2 consecutive Calendar year GSs).

Surprising Nadal has never won Miami though - I thought he would have at some point in his career.
    Nadal still has the opportunity to win at Miami. I really cannot wait for the Nadal/Djokovic match later on. I'll be so happy if Nadal can come through it and beat Djokovic on the hard court. I think his best bet will be this year, as Djokovic isn't at the standard of 2011 and Nadal could possibly regain his 2010/11 form depending on his knees. Vamos Rafa!

ReputationRep:

Given how slow Miami plays, it's surprising Nadal has yet to win it.

And Federer could have still won even more, if he was a bit more mentally tough when he was up against Rafa. He lost so many matches to him, where he held leads or had infinite number of break points. It sometimes surprises me that Nadal leads their H2H by such a huge margin. Federer could very well by leading it or be on par with Nadal, if he was better at closing out the deal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Given how slow Miami plays, it's surprising Nadal has yet to win it.

And Federer could have still won even more, if he was a bit more mentally tough when he was up against Rafa. He lost so many matches to him, where he held leads or had infinite number of break points. It sometimes surprises me that Nadal leads their H2H by such a huge margin. Federer could very well by leading it or be on par with Nadal, if he was better at closing out the deal.
    Half their matches are on clay which skews the count somewhat. If you weight the four surfaces equally (hard, clay, grass, indoor) then Fed ends up about 2 matches behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alkain1607)
    Nadal still has the opportunity to win at Miami. I really cannot wait for the Nadal/Djokovic match later on. I'll be so happy if Nadal can come through it and beat Djokovic on the hard court. I think his best bet will be this year, as Djokovic isn't at the standard of 2011 and Nadal could possibly regain his 2010/11 form depending on his knees. Vamos Rafa!
    Yeah I agree. My bet would still be Djokovic in 2 or 3, but I would not at all be surprised if Nadal came through and then demolished a Canadian in the final (it's 1 set all between Pospisil and Raonic).

2014 Miami could be a target for Rafa, but there's always the possibility that he may pull out after Indian Wells, like he did this year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Rafa needs to avoid as many hard court tournaments as he can, horrible for his knees and his serve is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Rafa needs to avoid as many hard court tournaments as he can, horrible for his knees and his serve is rubbish.
    I'll be interested to see his performance tomorrow against Djokovic and at the US Open.

For Cincinnati, in my ATP draw challenge, I'm picking some big upsets which could bolt me way above anyone else in the table if it all works out.

Clue: these upsets will feature Murray, Federer and Nadal
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'll be interested to see his performance tomorrow against Djokovic and at the US Open.

For Cincinnati, in my ATP draw challenge, I'm picking some big upsets which could bolt me way above anyone else in the table if it all works out.

Clue: these upsets will feature Murray, Federer and Nadal
    I expect it will be a good match but it's not his ability that troubles me (though i expect Novak to win). He pretty much needs to jam his season into Feb-July and then limit the number of tournaments to those that are compulsory.

If he plays a full season and starts including smaller tournaments to get the number 1 or a good run for the grand slams there's not a chance his knees will hold up long enough for another 6 slam wins.

I'd go for a Del Potro vs Djokovic semi on one side. On the other Nadal to beat Federer, Murray to beat Nadal in the semi. Djokovic/Del Potro to beat Murray in the final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I expect it will be a good match but it's not his ability that troubles me (though i expect Novak to win). He pretty much needs to jam his season into Feb-July and then limit the number of tournaments to those that are compulsory.

If he plays a full season and starts including smaller tournaments to get the number 1 or a good run for the grand slams there's not a chance his knees will hold up long enough for another 6 slam wins.

I'd go for a Del Potro vs Djokovic semi on one side. On the other Nadal to beat Federer, Murray to beat Nadal in the semi. Djokovic/Del Potro to beat Murray in the final.
    I agree with him limiting his schedule towards the end of the year - in 2011 he was completely burned out, and I don't think that the No. 1 ranking is going to be his top priority. He may have already conceded that Djokovic/Murray will hog that spot

------------------------------------------------------------

The top half: I too am expecting a Del Po vs Djoko semi, with Nole progressing through

The other half, however, is where I have a "surprise" finalist - someone who knows his way around these courts, who's had a reasonable amount of success in the past... (I'm not thinking of Murray, I'll reveal my entire prediction tomorrow)

ReputationRep:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

The top half: I too am expecting a Del Po vs Djoko semi, with Nole progressing through

The other half, however, is where I have a "surprise" finalist - someone who knows his way around these courts, who's had a reasonable amount of success in the past... (I'm not thinking of Murray, I'll reveal my entire prediction tomorrow)
    Not too sure about Murray either, depends if he can be arsed or not.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for bombarding this thread, but what are people's opinions on the Nadal vs Djokovic being played at night under the lights? Would that favour a particular player, or is that something irrelevant?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.