The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubi1
Ranking maybe on Rafas mind if he finished this years race as no.1 he may think if I can win the race why not go for world no.1/2 ranking. After All he's the new world no.3

No. 2 is very possible at end of this year itself.

For some reason, Rafa always tends to play great tennis when he is not No.1 - 8 out of his 12 GS Titles came when he was ranked No. 2 (or below), whereas Roger for instance won 11 out of his 17 as the world's top player.
2010 was the only special year where he won a lot of matches even as No. 1
Reply 7281
Original post by Krish4791
Well, good luck and hope you get through that stressful night! :smile: I will be fast asleep when those two are slugging it out, I just can't stay awake till 1am :closedeyes:

Just do a 1 night stand am sure you'll manage it...:wink:
Original post by ubi1
Just do a 1 night stand am sure you'll manage it...:wink:

Sorry - did you say... "one night stand"? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7283
No. 2 is very possible at end of this year itself.

For some reason, Rafa always tends to play great tennis when he is not No.1 - 8 out of his 12 GS Titles came when he was ranked No. 2 (or below), whereas Roger for instance won 11 out of his 17 as the world's top player.
2010 was the only special year where he won a lot of matches even as No. 1

Any advice when your know your idol is going to lose?
Original post by ubi1
Any advice when your know your idol is going to lose?

Yes: be negative. That way, you get a pleasant surprise if/when he wins :wink:

And also - Raonic awaits in the final, apparently he won in a 3rd set tie-break.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7285
Sorry - did you say... "one night stand"? :confused:

I mean just stay up for the match and then go sleep like you usually would.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7286
Original post by Rakas21
Half their matches are on clay which skews the count somewhat. If you weight the four surfaces equally (hard, clay, grass, indoor) then Fed ends up about 2 matches behind.

But there are a few clay matches, that Fed was in the ascendency or had his chances but couldn't finish the job. Rome 2006, where he had a couple of match points. French Open 07, where he converted just 1/17 BPs. Hamburg 08, where he was 5-1 up in the 1st set and even had a set point, let's not forget the Monte Carlo match, where he was leading by 4-0 in both sets, but still ended up losing that match in straights. I can't remember the exact year, but it's evident that Nadal is in Federer's head. Federer is mentally strong obviously, hence the reason why he has won so much, but when he is up against Nadal, he is a choker.

I'll be interested to see his performance tomorrow against Djokovic and at the US Open.

For Cincinnati, in my ATP draw challenge, I'm picking some big upsets which could bolt me way above anyone else in the table if it all works out.

Clue: these upsets will feature Murray, Federer and Nadal

Federer losing isn't an upset anymore, it's expected. :tongue:
Reply 7287
Yes: be negative. That way, you get a pleasant surprise if/when he wins :wink:

And also - Raonic awaits in the final, apparently he won in a 3rd set tie-break.

Looks like am doing a good job then. As for Raonic he's got a good chance against Nole not saying he's going to win against Nole but he has the crowd advantage hopefully they will cheer him on and motivate him so he plays out of his mind and beats Nole.
Original post by Roger1
But there are a few clay matches, that Fed was in the ascendency or had his chances but couldn't finish the job. Rome 2006, where he had a couple of match points. French Open 07, where he converted just 1/17 BPs. Hamburg 08, where he was 5-1 up in the 1st set and even had a set point, let's not forget the Monte Carlo match, where he was leading by 4-0 in both sets, but still ended up losing that match in straights. I can't remember the exact year, but it's evident that Nadal is in Federer's head. Federer is mentally strong obviously, hence the reason why he has won so much, but when he is up against Nadal, he is a choker.

Lol - I never said Federer would be upset... just hinted that these 3 would be involved in some form of upset :cool:
Hmm - interesting. Raonic also cracks the Top 10 for the first time ever after this tournament!
Reply 7290
Original post by Roger1

Old King Federer has choked up many matches against other players too not only Nadal.
Original post by ubi1
Old King Federer has choked up many matches against other players too not only Nadal.

Apart from choking against Nadal, the only other chokes I remember are against Djokovic at US 2011 and Tsonga in Montreal 2009.
Could this be a big break through for Raonic? I'm still in no way convinced but getting to the final of your home masters is no bad thing! Still thinking he will end up being a threat to others in the future rather than a big thing in his own right (although of course he is by definition "a big thing" :tongue:)
Reply 7293
Apart from choking against Nadal, the only other chokes I remember are against Djokovic at US 2011 and Tsonga in Montreal 2009.

Federer also deprived us of a legendary French Open final Nole vs Rafa 2011 and Another interesting encounter 2010/11 US open.
Original post by ubi1
Federer also deprived us of a legendary French Open final Nole vs Rafa 2011 and Another interesting encounter 2010/11 US open.

Not a choke though; that's just him spoiling the party :biggrin:
Reply 7295
Not a choke though; that's just him spoiling the party :biggrin:

Lol am kinda bored now what shall I do?
Original post by ubi1
Lol am kinda bored now what shall I do?

I suggest you tucking in for a horror movie - Nadal vs Rosol perhaps :wink:
Reply 7297
Original post by hskjlclcn
I suggest you tucking in for a horror movie - Nadal vs Rosol perhaps :wink:

That was more of a thriller movie:colondollar:. Have you seen saw III?
Reply 7298

Didn't he choke against Tsonga at Wimbledon? Think it was the QF in 11 when he was up two sets and Tsonga won.
Reply 7299
Murray through to the doubles final, won 6-3 6-0. A doubles career beckons? :tongue: /s

Latest