The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7560
Original post by RtGOAT
Lol. This guy is pathetic. The worst kind of fan imo

Definitely the worst.:clap2::congrats:
Nadal takes the second set. That easy forehand into the net at 40-30 (4-5) has probably just lost Federer the match.
I would favour Nadal in the third set.
Reply 7563
Proud of Roger. Played the best match of this year. He is playing himself back into form. Nadal lucky that Federer is 32 otherwise he wouldn't have won.

That last shot was out. Why didn't he challenge?
(edited 10 years ago)
Credit to both players, great match. Despite the obvious disappointment of losing, great signs for Fed once again but Nadal well done and well played :yy:
Great match overall and a vast improvement on recent efforts. It's the same result though and you have to think that Federer has had his last win over Nadal in his career.

Ah well, Federer did better than I expected.
An awesome match, credit to Nadal!

Have to say, some good signs for federer, hope he does well at the US Open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7568
If Fed carries on playing like this and avoids Nadal at the US Open, he could do some damage there. He certainly would have beaten Murray and Nole tonight but beating Nadal has always been a hurdle too far for him.
You're right, after the first set I thought the match was his for the taking. However, this is just what he needs right now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7570
Original post by Roger1
If Fed carries on playing like this and avoids Nadal at the US Open, he could do some damage there. He certainly would have beaten Murray and Nole tonight but beating Nadal has always been a hurdle too far for him.

Yes he would have probably beaten anybody with a performance like this except Rafa.
Reply 7571
Original post by ubi1
Yes he would have probably beaten anybody with a performance like this except Rafa.

Did you watch the match point? That ball was clearly out but Fed choose not to challenge it. This shows that he clearly doesn't have the mental strength to beat Nadal.
Reply 7572
Original post by Roger1
Did you watch the match point? That ball was clearly out but Fed choose not to challenge it. This shows that he clearly doesn't have the mental strength to beat Nadal.

Don't know about that but did the "Baby" put up a better fight against Rafa or did "Papa"?
I'd say Papa.
Reply 7573
Original post by ubi1
Don't know about that but did the "Baby" put up a better fight against Rafa or did "Papa"?
I'd say Papa.

In the 1st set and right up to the point where Rafa broke Roger to win the 2nd set, Federer was easily the better player. But then as always against Nadal, Roger suffered a mental lapse and made the worst possible start to the deciding set. I can't believe what a poor drive volley he played at 30-40, which allowed Nadal to break him by hitting his trademark passes. He should have let the ball bounce first. He played well to save those 3 match points but in the end, he wasn't consistent enough, but definite good signs for Federer fans.

And Nadal not looking as good as he was last week. Perhaps, feeling the effects of a long season. Berdman or Delpo or even Isner can take him out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7574
Original post by Roger1
In the 1st set and right up to the point where Rafa broke Roger to win the 2nd set, Federer was easily the better player. But then as always against Nadal, Roger suffered a mental lapse and made the worst possible start to the deciding set. I can't believe what a poor drive volley he played at 30-40, which allowed Nadal to break him by hitting his trademark passes. He should have let the ball bounce first. He played well to save those 3 match points but in the end, he wasn't consistent enough, but definite good signs for Federer fans.

And Nadal not looking as good as he was last week. Perhaps, feeling the effects of a long season. Berdman or Delpo or even Isner can take him out.

Rafa is now playing Big Servers/Hitters on their preferred surface so he is no longer the favorite. Delpo would hit him out with his forehand and Rafa won't be able to defend as good due to court speed, also he could get served out of the court by isner. He needs to play the way he played in Montreal.
Seen the highlights. Good win for Nadal, he's got a great shot for the title now, only Del Potro can realistically beat him. A very competitive match actually, so a lot of positives for Federer to take out of this It's probably Roger's "best loss" since the one to Murray at the AO, so there are signs that he could do well in the coming months. Had he played anyone else but Rafa, he may well have won nicely.

The one annoying thing is that it's taken Fed 9 years to finally work out the "right" gameplan against Rafa - had he employed this tactic much earlier, he could have won some of the important GS matches they played.
(edited 10 years ago)
Del Potro breaks playing the percentage game. Holding serve but much less winners and unforced errors.
Isner broke back but Del Potro takes the first set tiebreak.
Reply 7578
Come to the net Delpo FGS.
Reply 7579
Wow, Isner in the final. Anyone think he has a chance of winning this?

Latest