Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty.B)
    Jankovic is playing really well, bossing rallies, serving well etc.
    Yeah surprised to see her dictating a lot and serving incredibly. Serena seems to be struggling with the odd bounces a lot.

ReputationRep:
    We are on the verge. The fiasco in Lithuania may finally be put to rest :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Amazing, did not see that coming.

ReputationRep:
    Boom. Back to the World Group!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Boom. Back to the World Group!
    Well, there is still the playoffs to come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    Well at least Andy will be back by then

ReputationRep:
    These bad bounces. :/

ReputationRep:
    So much drama in this Charleston final. Keep it coming ladies

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    This is true. We'll probably end up getting Spain away, but at least progress has been made.

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic is getting some treatment against Querrey, haven't been watching so I don't really know whats going on. Seems to have hurt his ankle. Looks like hes ok though.

ReputationRep:
    Loving the drama! Serena is on a roll now, 4-0 up in the second set.

ReputationRep:
    Overheard from EuroSport, Andy Murray will take part in the playoffs.

ReputationRep:
    Querrey has taken the second set against Djokovic. Would be great to see this go to a 5th rubber because it's been a super tie.

ReputationRep:
    Britain pulled off the first Davis Cup 0-2 comeback since 1930.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty.B)
    Overheard from EuroSport, Andy Murray will take part in the playoffs.
    I never know what to think about things like that. Obviously I want to see Britain win and we have a much better chance with Murray in the team, so part of me wants him to play but then another part of me thinks it's unfair on the guys that have earned the place in the next round. It's like in football when a team is promoted and they sign loads of players. I always think 'Yeah, fair enough, but surely last season's guys deserve a chance to play since they are the reason you are there'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I never know what to think about things like that. Obviously I want to see Britain win and we have a much better chance with Murray in the team, so part of me wants him to play but then another part of me thinks it's unfair on the guys that have earned the place in the next round. It's like in football when a team is promoted and they sign loads of players. I always think 'Yeah, fair enough, but surely last season's guys deserve a chance to play since they are the reason you are there'.
    It is a bit unfair, but Andy has definitely played his part in the past so he deserves a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Saying Andy shouldn't play is like saying Messi shouldn't lay the Champions League final because he was injured in the semi and Barcelona won.

There's no chances of GB beating Spain or someone without Andy, so why wouldn't they play him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zepploydath)
    Saying Andy shouldn't play is like saying Messi shouldn't lay the Champions League final because he was injured in the semi and Barcelona won.

There's no chances of GB beating Spain or someone without Andy, so why wouldn't they play him?
    Well, one of those scenarios involves someone who couldn't play and the other involves someone who didn't want to play.

Anyway, I'm not saying I wouldn't play him, I'm just saying that I'll feel bad for one of those guys that put in brilliant performances today. It's only the same as the Carling Cup, not every manager will completely overhaul their side if they reach the semis or final because they respect the fact that the second team players earned the place in the semis or final, so they should be the ones who play in the match.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I could be wrong but i don't even think Murray views the nationals as important (and some other players) however Nadal does and obviously you can't put anybody else up against him.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with that. In fact, if I were Murray I probably wouldn't play the Davis Cup either. It's not so bad if you bring him back in the next round but as a general rule, the further a team progresses in a tournament the harder it is to justify allowing someone else in, whether they are "better" or not, because they will have proven their worth over a much longer period of time and against, in theory, more difficult opposition as the tournament progresses. If, for instance, this current team reached the final next year, I certainly wouldn't play Murray.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.