The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Evans leads Tomic 1-6, 6-3, 7-6, 4-1! Really good performance from the Brit, if he gets through this match I can see him making a nice run into the 4th Round here.

Federer, meanwhile has come through 6-3, 6-2, 6-1 and Ferrer has won 6-3, 6-7, 6-1, 6-2 - so they are both on track. Roger was particularly impressive today - they keys to his win were winning 54% of return points and converting 7/13 break point opportunities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7781
Love Evans' aggressiveness this match. Sometimes he needs to find a balance and just play the point but it seems to have worked well for him tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Evans wins! Most likely he'll have Robredo next. Good chance to make the 4th Round.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7783
Original post by Krish4791
Evans wins! Most likely he'll have Robredo next. Good chance to make the 4th Round.

Absolutely awesome stuff! Murray should make it 3 brits in round 3 - I feel like that hasn't happened in quite some time?!
Original post by Slumpy
Absolutely awesome stuff! Murray should make it 3 brits in round 3 - I feel like that hasn't happened in quite some time?!

Must have been quite a while ago!

This is what we've been waiting for though - a breakthrough in British tennis: the "timeline" of British tennis in the last 10 years or so:

1. Murray beings career
2. Murray breaks through to reach first Major Final (2008)
3. Murray wins the Olympics 2012
4. Murray wins the US Open 2012
5. Laura Robson reaches her first ever 4th Round in a GS (2012 US) + does it again at Wimby 2013.
6. Dan Evans going on a bit of a run here...

It would be great if the younger generation of British players could follow Murray's lead and really make big breakthroughs in the Majors at some point in the future (I'm talking Quarters, Semis, Finals).
I loved the way Evans used his forehand today! A bit over eager at times perhaps but tomic was just not able to do anything about it, the shots back behind him during the tiebreak won him the match. Tough match follows versus Tommy R but it's winnable and great for British tennis!

Gasquet also won so yaya :biggrin:
Must have been quite a while ago!

This is what we've been waiting for though - a breakthrough in British tennis: the "timeline" of British tennis in the last 10 years or so:

1. Murray beings career
2. Murray breaks through to reach first Major Final (2008)
3. Murray wins the Olympics 2012
4. Murray wins the US Open 2012
5. Laura Robson reaches her first ever 4th Round in a GS (2012 US) + does it again at Wimby 2013.
6. Dan Evans going on a bit of a run here...

It would be great if the younger generation of British players could follow Murray's lead and really make big breakthroughs in the Majors at some point in the future (I'm talking Quarters, Semis, Finals).

I'd add Heather Watsons title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7787
Roger won quite easily with a dominant performance. Impressive! :smile:

Cuteniacki just won and so did the Williams sisters. Great day of tennis for me. :biggrin:
Reply 7788
Davydenko is out lost in 3 sets by purpose . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:eek::frown:
Original post by ubi1
Davydenko is out lost in 3 sets by purpose . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:eek::frown:

Rafa has to face Dodig next - they are level at 1-1 H2H (Dodig won their last meeting, so Rafa will be eager to thrash him).
Reply 7790
Really looking forward to Robson vs. Na later. First match on Ashe!
Original post by aja89
Really looking forward to Robson vs. Na later. First match on Ashe!

Robson beat her last year in 3 didn't she? Let's hope she can repeat that!
Reply 7792
Robson beat her last year in 3 didn't she? Let's hope she can repeat that!

Yep, though Li Na is playing much more convincingly than she was this time last year. If Robson she can get her first serves in she might be able to win.
Reply 7793
Rafa has to face Dodig next - they are level at 1-1 H2H (Dodig won their last meeting, so Rafa will be eager to thrash him).

Still Davedenko has done a dirty one. :redface:
Original post by ubi1

Yeah I'm sure a professional tennis player purposefully threw a match to maintain a meaningless h2h record.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ubi1

Proof?
Original post by getlucky.
Proof?

Well he does have a history of match fixing or accused match fixing, but I wouldn't look much into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7797
Original post by Zepploydath
Yeah I'm sure a professional tennis player purposefully threw a match to maintain a meaningless h2h record.

Meaningless are you kidding me thats a legendary H2H.
Reply 7798
Original post by getlucky.
Proof?

Hes been accused many times of match fixing. This is the biggest one he knew Rafa is unbeaten on hard courts this year he wouldn't stand a chance and knew he Rafa will level the H2H.
h2h's are heavily misleading anyway, weren't most of their matches played on hard courts?

Latest