Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Job well done from Robson! Robson vs Li should be a great match, hopefully a tight three setter!

ReputationRep:
    good recovery from Robson in the 2nd set, she gets better with each match so hopefully the best is still to come for her.

Murray match later as well hooray for late night sport (insomnia comes in handy for a change )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    At this rate, he may not even get to go on court until tomorrow, at which point Rafa and Roger would be ready to play their Round 2 matches.

Not really the way to treat a defending champion, methinks. At Wimbledon, the previous year's champ plays at 1pm on Centre on Day 1 itself, so I'm a little puzzled as to why the top half of the draw did not play first?
    As usual the US Open is idiotically organised, definitely and consistently the worst organised out of all the Grand Slams. It's incomprehensible why they don't play all of the first round matches in the first two days.

ReputationRep:
    No unforced errors in the first set from Murray, not bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anyone watching a stream care to PM the link? My regular source is failing me... Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone paying attention to Evans? Would be sweet if he could beat Tomic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Anyone paying attention to Evans? Would be sweet if he could beat Tomic.
    Yes! What a response after losing that first set 6-1, to take that third set tiebreak, brilliant

Really routing for him, hope he can continue this great run. Looking like a really close match, looking like it very well could go the distance, hope he can edge it, hard one to call though

ReputationRep:
    Evans leads Tomic 1-6, 6-3, 7-6, 4-1! Really good performance from the Brit, if he gets through this match I can see him making a nice run into the 4th Round here.

Federer, meanwhile has come through 6-3, 6-2, 6-1 and Ferrer has won 6-3, 6-7, 6-1, 6-2 - so they are both on track. Roger was particularly impressive today - they keys to his win were winning 54% of return points and converting 7/13 break point opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Love Evans' aggressiveness this match. Sometimes he needs to find a balance and just play the point but it seems to have worked well for him tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Evans wins! Most likely he'll have Robredo next. Good chance to make the 4th Round.

ReputationRep:
    Evans wins! Most likely he'll have Robredo next. Good chance to make the 4th Round.
    Absolutely awesome stuff! Murray should make it 3 brits in round 3 - I feel like that hasn't happened in quite some time?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Absolutely awesome stuff! Murray should make it 3 brits in round 3 - I feel like that hasn't happened in quite some time?!
    Must have been quite a while ago!

This is what we've been waiting for though - a breakthrough in British tennis: the "timeline" of British tennis in the last 10 years or so:

1. Murray beings career
    2. Murray breaks through to reach first Major Final (2008)
    3. Murray wins the Olympics 2012
    4. Murray wins the US Open 2012
    5. Laura Robson reaches her first ever 4th Round in a GS (2012 US) + does it again at Wimby 2013.
    6. Dan Evans going on a bit of a run here...

It would be great if the younger generation of British players could follow Murray's lead and really make big breakthroughs in the Majors at some point in the future (I'm talking Quarters, Semis, Finals).

ReputationRep:
    I loved the way Evans used his forehand today! A bit over eager at times perhaps but tomic was just not able to do anything about it, the shots back behind him during the tiebreak won him the match. Tough match follows versus Tommy R but it's winnable and great for British tennis!

Gasquet also won so yaya

ReputationRep:
    Must have been quite a while ago!

This is what we've been waiting for though - a breakthrough in British tennis: the "timeline" of British tennis in the last 10 years or so:

1. Murray beings career
    2. Murray breaks through to reach first Major Final (2008)
    3. Murray wins the Olympics 2012
    4. Murray wins the US Open 2012
    5. Laura Robson reaches her first ever 4th Round in a GS (2012 US) + does it again at Wimby 2013.
    6. Dan Evans going on a bit of a run here...

It would be great if the younger generation of British players could follow Murray's lead and really make big breakthroughs in the Majors at some point in the future (I'm talking Quarters, Semis, Finals).
    I'd add Heather Watsons title.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Roger won quite easily with a dominant performance. Impressive!

Cuteniacki just won and so did the Williams sisters. Great day of tennis for me.

ReputationRep:
    Davydenko is out lost in 3 sets by purpose . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Davydenko is out lost in 3 sets by purpose . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:eek:
    Rafa has to face Dodig next - they are level at 1-1 H2H (Dodig won their last meeting, so Rafa will be eager to thrash him).

ReputationRep:
    Really looking forward to Robson vs. Na later. First match on Ashe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Really looking forward to Robson vs. Na later. First match on Ashe!
    Robson beat her last year in 3 didn't she? Let's hope she can repeat that!

ReputationRep:
    Robson beat her last year in 3 didn't she? Let's hope she can repeat that!
    Yep, though Li Na is playing much more convincingly than she was this time last year. If Robson she can get her first serves in she might be able to win.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.