Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I hope Serena absolutely crushes Stephens today. Girl gots to learn. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Seriously delusional Nadal fans out here think he will get to 17 or more slams. Like his knees will last that long. Watch him get beat by Djokovic or Murray in the final of the US Open or maybe not considering he has a cake draw like his previous US Open triumph.
    When he wins his 3rd US open as well 3rd time lucky.
    Nadal is lucky all the time right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    It's so annoying that Djokovic, Murray and Nadal are more or less the same age they'll retire around the same time, hopefully when that time comes the younger players will have stepped up.
    Still when the BIG 3 retire the guys who you call stepping up will be peaking too late. Nadal rose to the scene at 19, Djoker at 20, Fed 21, Murray 24. Delpo at 20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Yeah, the situation's not ideal for him but at least he will be physically fresh for the QFs. Do you think that he has any chance against Ralph?
    When was the last time Federer beat Nadal in best of 5 i really can't remember?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Wimbledon 2007 final I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Wimbledon 2007, as Prendah said. Federer's only ever beaten Nadal in a best-of-five in the Miami 2005 final, the Wimbledon 2006 final, and the Wimbledon 2007 final. The AO final in 2009 is the last time they even had a match that went to five sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Wimbledon 2007, as Prendah said. Federer's only ever beaten Nadal in a best-of-five in the Miami 2005 final, the Wimbledon 2006 final, and the Wimbledon 2007 final. The AO final in 2009 is the last time they even had a match that went to five sets.
    6 years seems so long ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    What else do you expect from a 32 year old? If you think Murray, Nadal or Djokovic will be racking up slams at that age, you need help.
    I wasn't really ridiculing Federer, I was ridiculing you.

If you're still playing you're young enough for age not to be constantly brought up. Nobody says Haas loses because he's old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I wasn't really ridiculing Federer, I was ridiculing you.

If you're still playing you're young enough for age not to be constantly brought up. Nobody says Haas loses because he's old.
    I'm just disappointed that their match at the US Open is finally happening at a point, where the outcome is a forgone conclusion. This is the only major besides Wimbledon, where pre 2013 Federer would fancy his chances against Nadal, but on the basis of his form this season, there is no chance that Federer would win more than a set.

Of course, it's not entirely Nadal's fault that they haven't met there yet. Federer missed two glorious opportunities at US Open 2010 and 2011, but how unlucky for Federer, that the match is finally gonna happen this season.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to Williams against Stephens. Might be competitive but on the other hand Serena will probably hammer her in straights.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm also looking forward to Williams/Stephens match. Serena hits the ball harder than Stephens, but Stephens just moves so much better- she's faster than serena. And I absolutely love her forehand. However, Serena has so much more experience and so I would be suprised if she loses to Stephens again. I think it's safe to state the only reason Serena lost in Australia was because of her back so if she's injury free then I'd give the match in street sets possibly 6-4 6-2 to Williams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    When he wins his 3rd US open as well 3rd time lucky.
    Nadal is lucky all the time right.
    He be lucky to win his 2nd US Open, let alone winning it 3 times. Not that he can't do it, but a lot of it depends on Murray and Djokovic and how they play. It isn't clay you know.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I think Nadal has a very very good chance at getting to 17 slams now, tbh.

I imagined he'd always be strong on clay, and whilst I thought he was being unfairly written off on hardcourts, even I didn't expect him to look as impressive as he has done on the hardcourt swing so far.
    Next year will effectively answer that question.

If you look at the two age for age then for Nadal this season is the equivalent of 08 for Fed and Nadal must win the US Open just to keep pace with Fed in slams to the end of 08. 2014 for Nadal is 09 for Fed so if Nadal is going to reach 17 slams he must either win 3 slams next year to keep pace or win more slams at an older age than Fed did.

Personally i just don't see it given his knees and Djokovic/Murray/Del Potro likely taking slams.in higher proportions than the Fed vs Nadal rivalry where nobody else really featured.

ReputationRep:
    Serena Williams being tested a little here.

ReputationRep:
    Some ferocious hitting in the Williams/Stephens match - Sloane is not far behind in terms of power, she's hit some bomber serves up to around the 120mph mark today.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Hewitt!!

ReputationRep:
    Serena showing who's the boss here. 6-4, 6-1 win and she's through to the Quarterfinals already.

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic is looking pretty solid so far, tearing this Sousa guy a new *******. 6-0 opening set lol. Pretty embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    What an epic choke by Aga. She was 4-0 up in the 1st set, but lost the next 6 in a row to lose the set. Another overhyped future star.

ReputationRep:
    Federer and Nadal both one match away from setting up their (potentially) epic QF.

Whoever they play in the SF is a joke. So the winner of Federer v Nadal will be in the final.

NYC have never had a Fedal match, they for sure deserve it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.