Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    I will deal with it if you deal with Federer being a bigger opportunist from 03-07 you could also say 09 as well.
    Lol, Federer was the best of his generation. But Nadal best years (2008, 10 and 13) were all classic examples of taking your opportunities. In 2008, Federer had mono, which destroyed his aura, his confidence to the point where he lost to Nadal on his yard.

Then 2010, Nadal 3 slam year, Federer began his proper decline after the AO and didn't do anything until the indoor season. Murray was injured and didn't do much either after the AO. Nole couldn't register a top 10 win until September FFS. Talk about luck.

And now obviously this year, where Federer is too old now. Nole isn't the player he was in the last couple years, slowly regressing back to his pre 2011 level. Andy only focusing on slams. I wish I had Nadal's luck, I would be so successful in my life by now.

And you mention 2009, there is no evidence to suggest that Federer would have lost to Nadal at Wimbledon, as he at that point and still leads the H2H on grass. FO, I agree he got lucky, but he deserved that luck unlike Nadal who won on his first outing in the US Open final after a cake draw, whereas Federer had already previously made 3 finals in a row.

And if Federer is a weak era champion, then what does that make Nadal too considering he has to play Federer in most of his major finals? Playing a weak champion in the final. Surely, that isn't so tough, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Nadal is just an opportunist. Deal with it.
    (Original post by ubi1)
    I will deal with it if you deal with Federer being a bigger opportunist from 03-07 you could also say 09 as well.
    You guys do realise that calling someone an "opportunist" isn't an insult, don't you? In fact, I'd say it's one of the greatest compliments you could pay anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Oh, big deal. Crying is a human emotion. Women and men both cry.

And at least Federer was a man enough to cry in front of everyone, unlike your boy who locked himself in the room to cry after losing the wimbledon final 07.

ReputationRep:
    I think the most amazing thing about this performance is that Robredo didn't really have to play that much out of his mind.

All he had to do at points was get the ball into play and watch Federer choke. I'm sure Fed has lost to lower ranked and less glamorous players, but at least he managed to take them to more than 3 sets and they probably played out of their skin. For Fed to choke this much... it's just not feasible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    You guys do realise that calling someone an "opportunist" isn't an insult, don't you? In fact, I'd say it's one of the greatest compliments you could pay anyone.
    I agree with that. I just can't stand when butthurt Nadaltards call Federer an opportunist by pointing to his domination of the supposed "weak era", when Nadal himself had his fair share of luck with draws and his top rivals playing badly.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, big deal. Crying is a human emotion. Women and men both cry.

And at least Federer was a man enough to cry in front of everyone, unlike your boy who locked himself in the room to cry after losing the wimbledon final 07.
    It was a joke dude... but just listen to yourself atm...

And I'm not a Nadal fan. I like Federer more than him dude.

ReputationRep:
    Ferrer to make a second slam final at this rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    It was a joke dude... but just listen to yourself atm...

And I'm not a Nadal fan. I like Federer more than him dude.
    I'm just fuming atm. It's not that he didn't have his chances, but how many BPs did he miss? 2/16, including the last 12 in a row. How did he manage to win 17 GS?

ReputationRep:
    Federer should either retire or get on the practice courts with his new stick and sign up for a couple of 250s later this month, to get used to it in time for the next season.

ReputationRep:
    He's 32 give the guy a break, it just wasn't his day. I understand that you're fuming, heck probably all federer fans are. Just wait and see how he does near on in the future...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nadal certainly doing his bit honouring Federer... choking on all these break points lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen the result, sounds like Dan Evans was a tougher game for Robredo than Federer today. It's a shame though, as I was looking forward to finally seeing a Fed vs. Nadal US Open match.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that this defeat was worse than the Stakhovsky fiasco for a number of reasons:

1) Lost in three sets instead of four.

2) An excuse could be made for Federer that he was surprised by Stakhovsky's unorthodox serve-and-volley tactics on the fresh grass and lost because of this. No such excuse could be made in this match because he went toe-to-toe with Robredo in rallies and was just simply inferior. He was allowed to play his brand of tennis but it simply was not good enough.

3) It is a very poignant symbol of decline to lose in straight sets to a person he previously had a 10-0 record against.

4) His performances reached depths that were not even reached in the Stakhovsky match. Particularly bad was the game in which he failed to break when 0-40 up, even after having several opportunities to win the first break point. Every time that he had an opportunity to move ahead in the third set he just pegged himself back with an unforced error. Poor shot selection throughout.

5) There was a precedent for high-profile early losses in Wimbledon given what happened to Nadal in 2012 and 2013 (and other events that week). There is not really a precedent for this type of loss among the big four in recent years at a hardcourt slam (provided Nadal beats Kolschreiber as I type).

6) As Xotol said, Robredo wasn't even that good. He played well enough but wasn't playing lights-out like Stakhovsky was.

7) Robredo is round about the same age as Federer so the aging Federer argument would sound a little bit empty.

EDIT:

8) Both him and Nadal struggled at the start of their respective matches by losing first-set tiebreakers to tricky opponents. However, Federer's historic rival was able to overcome his barriers while Federer deteriorated with time. This is a clear example of the difference in mental fortitude that exists between the two players at the time of speaking.

That's about it. I wish I could say something positive about what just happened but I can't think of anything at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    interestingly this doesn't really dent his chances of making it to the WTF, considering he only made the quarters last year

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much agree with Ashnard. That was the worst loss of Federer's career to date, to my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Ferrer to make a second slam final at this rate.
    Welcome back... You've missed quite a lot, although thread is still cluttered with ongoing pointless mud throwing from Federer and Nadal fans unfortunately :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Looks like you've been out gallivanting in your spare time:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/searc...rchid=15521044

Are we not good enough for you? :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    ^ Ho won't last that long.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Ho won't last that long.
    ?

If he's survived this long over here without getting banned then he should be fine over there.

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeah I noticed some ubi1 posts on talktennis.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.