Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at the win-loss statistics for Del Potro and it does somewhat confirm my assertion that he breached 09 again in 12 (brilliant matches with Fed as well in 12). You can also see that his injury essentially cost him 2 years in performance.

08: 46-16 (70%+)
    09: 54-16 (70%+)
    10: N/A
    11: 48-18 (60%+)
    12: 65-17 (79%)
    13: (46-13 so far so worst case scenario is 46-16 which is still high 70's, 4 more match wins to seasons end pushes him over 80%)

Nadal this year is an incredible 68-5 which is 90%+ with Djokovic actually still above 80% however in the infamous 2011 season he was also above 90%. Murray is above 80% and Fed surprisingly above 70% so it just illustrates the standard required to stay in the top 8.

The conclusions we draw from this then are that Nadal has a clear lead, Murray and Djokovic have both played well and that Del Potro is just about hanging on behind them.

ReputationRep:
    Got to say Pospisil has a bright future - I thought Federer would wipe him out after the first but he's stayed tight with him and played some clutch tennis for someone so young.

ReputationRep:
    I think Pospisil does have potential but really Federer should have won that 6-3 6-3... most of the time Federer was beating himself more than anything as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seathestars)
    I think Pospisil does have potential but really Federer should have won that 6-3 6-3... most of the time Federer was beating himself more than anything as well.
    Can't say i've seen much of him before but at 23 and ranked 40th i'm not sure he's really going to be challenging the top 10, only Raonic and Nikishori have really been the young guys going for that.

I still hold out for Tomic but the past two years have been very poor. We should remember however that he's only just turned 21 and off all the young players his Wimbledon QF probably put more pressure on him than many others. At any rate the fact he was ranked 27th at 19 shows how good he can be when he gets it right and he did win his first tournament as well as have a good Wimbledon so there are baby steps.

Fed's actually been much better this week, you can see that he feels this is his turf and has more confidence. Del Potro however has looked mighty, this Asian swing probably represents the most consistently mighty form he's been in since late 09.

Certainly watching the final tomorrow but i'm going for Del Potro to win in three.

Right now though i'm looking at the 2015-2020 timeframe and i can really only see Del Potro and Raonic really going for it at the moment (though i'm being harsh on Murray and Djokovic as there not that much older), Nikishori, Tomic and Jancowicz could also be up there as could Dimitrov.

ReputationRep:
    I think he could, but it's now or never. 2014 will make or break his career IMO... also another player worth mentioning is Gulbis. He could easily be in the world's top 10 for me if his attitude was right.

Tomic showed he was capable at Wimbledon as you mention, not for the first time... I'm not convinced though he has the baseline game to ever be a top 10 player.

Also it should be Del Potro in straight sets tomorrow but we will see.

ReputationRep:
    For the first time in all of their meetings, I'm actually going to put Del Potro as the favourite for tomorrow's final. He's been in very good form. For Federer to win, he HAS to do 4 things:

1. Play a solid game - consistently strong forehand and backhand.
    2. Serve reasonably well.
    3. Avoid Del Potro's forehand as far as possible if it's firing.
    4. Try not to have any lapses, and capitalise on Del Potro's lapses if he has any.

Good stuff from both Federer and Del Potro this week though, and I look forward to seeing them both at the O2 Arena.

ReputationRep:
    Has Federer definitely qualified for the tour finals?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amoled)
    Has Federer definitely qualified for the tour finals?
    He needs to win tomorrow but he has an easy run to R4 in Paris anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro breaks, serves for the set.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Federer breaks back to love.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro wins the first set 7-6(7-3).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Del Potro wins the first set 7-6(7-3).
    I thought that was a very good set - had a bit of everything really.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Fed breaks, absolutely vintage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    I thought that was a very good set - had a bit of everything really.
    A bit sloppy towards the end but a good set, yeah.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic rallies.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    6-2 Federer in the second set, broke to win.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic final match here, really good effort from Federer - he's made it clear that he's not going anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro breaks.

ReputationRep:
    Federer loses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So easy on the eye to see federer lose once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.