The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9140
Original post by Rakas21
I agree regarding Australia.

I think that Del Potro still needs to do more, this year (granted he was not at the FO) he had a very volatile first half however since the US Open he's had a good run and absolutely demolished Nadal in Shanghai (one of the best games of the season since Nadal was actually playing very well).

He needs to improve his fitness (arguably cost him Indian Wells and a Wimbledon final) but also improve consistency because in Australia, Miami, Montreal, the US Open and here he dropped points that he should not have. Hell, even his clay results were not representative of his form on that surface.

In reverence to Shanghai here's the full game and the quote from Nadal afterward..

[video="youtube;DzREKNOl7tY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzREKNOl7tY[/video]

"Very few times I have played against a player with a level like today"

100% agree. If Delpo could play like he did in Shanghai against Rafa consistently maybe we'd be looking at a future world number 1. I'm sure Delpo will get into the thick of things next year, or at least I hope so :smile:
Original post by lizzy95
100% agree. If Delpo could play like he did in Shanghai against Rafa consistently maybe we'd be looking at a future world number 1. I'm sure Delpo will get into the thick of things next year, or at least I hope so :smile:

He's got 4th in the bag i reckon (Fed and Ferrer won't challenge i don't think) next season, how high he goes afterward is dependent on consistency.
Two points... one if DelPo can improve at the net and become a bit more consistent then yeah, he can be up their with the likes of Djokovic, Nadal and Murray on a regular basis. Second point is that today for me showed Novak ultimately is a slightly better player then Rafa.
Nadal-Djokovic is without doubt a greater rivalry than Federer-Nadal for me. Federer has only won 4 out of their last 18 matches so it's fizzled out in the past few years. The cautious optimism I used to have for Roger has now dissipated and with every match up I hope he can put up a brave fight with little expectation of seeing a W by his name. Will be interesting who out of Nadal/Djoko ends up with the superior head-to-head once their careers are over. I'm expecting it to be incredibly tight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9144
Original post by kbountra
Nadal-Djokovic is without doubt a greater rivalry than Federer-Nadal for me. Federer has only won 4 out of their last 18 matches so it's fizzled out in the past few years. The cautious optimism I used to have for Roger has now dissipated and with every match up I hope he can put up a brave fight with little expectation of seeing a W by his name. Will be interesting who out of Nadal/Djoko ends up with the superior head-to-head once their careers are over. I'm expecting it to be incredibly tight.

Fed-Nadal rivalry is the most overrated rivalry imo. They had some great matches, but in the end the outcome is mostly a foregone conclusion. Call me crazy, but I think that Federer's best rivalry has been with Novak. Their matches are usually quite competitive and could go either way.
Reply 9145
Original post by Rakas21
He's got 4th in the bag i reckon (Fed and Ferrer won't challenge i don't think) next season, how high he goes afterward is dependent on consistency.

I think Fed will finish the season as #4 next year, with Delpo in 5 and Ferrer at 6.
Reply 9146
Original post by Roger1
Do you have a thing for Nadal? :smile:

I don't know its the end of the season for me. However as a Nadal fan Aussie open or Wimbledon can compensate for this loss of indoor major.:wink:
Reply 9147
Original post by Seathestars
Two points... one if DelPo can improve at the net and become a bit more consistent then yeah, he can be up their with the likes of Djokovic, Nadal and Murray on a regular basis. Second point is that today for me showed Novak ultimately is a slightly better player then Rafa.

Yes Novak has been the better player since 2011. But overall Rafa is the better player. :wink:
But if Rafa takes 3 slams in 2014 then :colondollar: from 2011-2014 who would be the better player?....
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jackclarke1995
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFV8dHrZYM

Wasn't massively paying attention, but was it this by any chance?

Managed to find it on youtube and shazam it. It was This Is The Life by Two Door Cinema Club, whoops :tongue:

Hah thanks for trying though, already love that Elbow song! :smile:
Original post by ubi1
Yes Novak has been the better player since 2011. But overall Rafa is the better player. :wink:
But if Rafa takes 3 slams in 2014 then :colondollar: from 2011-2014 who would be the better player?....

On clay yeah, on grass not in the last two years and I certainly don't think he's a better hard court player than Novak at his best... and if that was to be the case I'd go for Nadal, just.
Reply 9150
Original post by Seathestars
On clay yeah, on grass not in the last two years and I certainly don't think he's a better hard court player than Novak at his best... and if that was to be the case I'd go for Nadal, just.

Novak on Hard Nadal on Clay lets leave Grass out of this for now.:colondollar:

Novak is probably the better player now. But like I said If Rafa Has another Huge year in 2014 then the Tide would turn.

Overall Nadal is obviously better. 13 GRANDSLAM > 6 Rafa is only 11 Months older. More or less they are both the same when it comes to age. Nadals had career ending injuries Many times. To think of what would have happened had he been okay, he would have been even more successful.

Also another thing to note is the fact the Nadal has won many matches without having to play his best.
Top three on surface for me...

Clay..

Nadal
Djokovic
Del Potro

I don't think Fed really has it in him anymore.

Grass...

Federer
Murray
Nadal

The only surface where Fed's still a threat for me.

Hard..

Djokovic
Del Potro
Murray
Reply 9152
Original post by Rakas21
Top three on surface for me...

Clay..

Nadal
Djokovic
Del Potro

I don't think Fed really has it in him anymore.

Grass...

Federer
Murray
Nadal

The only surface where Fed's still a threat for me.

Hard..

Djokovic
Del Potro
Murray

At the moment Murray and Nadal are stronger than Del Petro on hard. Not sure Federer is still the top on grass, and Ferrer has a strong case for top three on clay!

For me it'd be:

Clay:

Nadal
Djokovic
Ferrer

Grass:
Djokovic
Murray
Del Petro/Federer

Hard:
Djokovic
Nadal
Murray

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Topo
At the moment Murray and Nadal are stronger than Del Petro on hard. Not sure Federer is still the top on grass, and Ferrer has a strong case for top three on clay!

For me it'd be:

Clay:

Nadal
Djokovic
Ferrer

Grass:
Djokovic
Murray
Del Petro/Federer

Hard:
Djokovic
Nadal
Murray

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should have stated no particular order.
Reply 9154
Original post by Rakas21
I should have stated no particular order.

Fair enough, still think Nadal has to be in the top 3 on hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think Federer is still good enough for top on grass and Murray over Djokovic IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Topo

Posted from TSR Mobile

This year Nadal outdid what I'd thought he'd do on hard because I didn't think he'd do that well and Murray didn't do as well as I expected (especially his poor performance on the US open)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9157
Original post by TH3-FL45H
This year Nadal outdid what I'd thought he'd do on hard because I didn't think he'd do that well and Murray didn't do as well as I expected (especially his poor performance on the US open)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Murray still got to the final of the Australian Open, not too shabby really! I think his injury was getting to him more by the US Open, and he met a pretty inspired opponent in Wawrinka
Original post by Topo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't want to demean Nadal's achievement this season because it was great but i think that he benefited from a couple of kind draws (US Open everybody fell early) and fitness (Del Potro was a set and a break up at Indian Wells) so while on consistency over the hard court season he maybe gets in, i think in an outright it's the US Open final and he's had to face long grueling matches like a normal grand slam, those three would probably beat him on most occasions.
Original post by Topo

For me it'd be:

Clay:

Nadal
Djokovic
Ferrer

Grass:
Djokovic
Murray
Del Petro/Federer

Hard:
Djokovic
Nadal
Murray

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting - my choices would be quite similar to yours.These are based on current/recent form.

Clay

Nadal
Djokovic
Ferrer

Grass

Murray
Djokovic
Federer

Hard

Djokovic
Nadal
Del Potro