The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pretty good year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9161
Original post by Rakas21
I don't want to demean Nadal's achievement this season because it was great but i think that he benefited from a couple of kind draws (US Open everybody fell early) and fitness (Del Potro was a set and a break up at Indian Wells) so while on consistency over the hard court season he maybe gets in, i think in an outright it's the US Open final and he's had to face long grueling matches like a normal grand slam, those three would probably beat him on most occasions.

Perhaps yes, but his performance against Djokovic in the US open was staggering and he had a better win percentage than any other player this season on hard court? (I believe?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubi1
Novak on Hard Nadal on Clay lets leave Grass out of this for now.:colondollar:

Novak is probably the better player now. But like I said If Rafa Has another Huge year in 2014 then the Tide would turn.

Overall Nadal is obviously better. 13 GRANDSLAM > 6 Rafa is only 11 Months older. More or less they are both the same when it comes to age. Nadals had career ending injuries Many times. To think of what would have happened had he been okay, he would have been even more successful.

Also another thing to note is the fact the Nadal has won many matches without having to play his best.

Eight of them have been on clay though. I don't dispute that Nadal is a better clay court player than Djokovic but I am sticking with my opinion that Djokovic at his best is better than Nadal at his best on a hard court. Case in point would be the US Open final... I don't think Djokovic was particularly great in that match and lost as a result.
Reply 9163
Original post by Seathestars
Eight of them have been on clay though. I don't dispute that Nadal is a better clay court player than Djokovic but I am sticking with my opinion that Djokovic at his best is better than Nadal at his best on a hard court. Case in point would be the US Open final... I don't think Djokovic was particularly great in that match and lost as a result.

So what if 8 of them were on clay. 8 clay slams vs 6 slams:wink:.

Nadal has more clay slams then djokovic has grandslams.

IF NADAL HAS 8/13 ON CLAY DJOKOVIC IS IN REALLY BAD POSITION 5/6 ON HARD.

This Australien Open will by historic for Nadal. If he wins by beating Djokovic then he beats everyone on the favorite tournament and surface. Like Fed Wimby. Murray Wimby. Djokor on Aussie.

Also 10 year winning a slam.

Also Nadal achieves Diversity of Slams with 2 each if he gets this Aussie Open.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9164
Next year, Nole has to win a slam outside of AO. Historically, AO is considered to be the least prestigious slam, so if he keeps winning just that, it's not gonna do much in terms of his legacy. And his slam final record stands at 6-6. Very poor tbh. He must improve that as well.
Reply 9165
Original post by Roger1
Next year, Nole has to win a slam outside of AO. Historically, AO is considered to be the least prestigious slam, so if he keeps winning just that, it's not gonna do much in terms of his legacy. And his slam final record stands at 6-6. Very poor tbh. He must improve that as well.

I agree Last time he won a slam out side his pet slam was Us open in 2011. He needs a slam out side Aussie open, If he wants to equal Johny Mac.
Unsurprisingly poised at one all after day 1 of the Davis cup final. Gotta fancy that tomorrows doubles decides who wins it (my bet is on Czech & Rosol)
Reply 9167
Original post by hskjlclcn
Unsurprisingly poised at one all after day 1 of the Davis cup final. Gotta fancy that tomorrows doubles decides who wins it (my bet is on Czech & Rosol)

Am supporting Rosol for the first time.:redface:
Reply 9168
Original post by ubi1
Am supporting Rosol for the first time.:redface:

Now that's a shocker!! -_-
Original post by Roger1

Yeah I agree Djoko needs to get a slam outside the AO, if he can win the French that will do a lot to cement his legacy. He's getting closer to Nadal every year though and I think 2014 could be his year. When you look at the big 4 and who they have lost to in slam finals, it's interesting to see that their losses have only been to each other (with DelPo the exception). Shows just how difficult it is to win a slam in this generation.
Original post by kbountra
Yeah I agree Djoko needs to get a slam outside the AO, if he can win the French that will do a lot to cement his legacy. He's getting closer to Nadal every year though and I think 2014 could be his year. When you look at the big 4 and who they have lost to in slam finals, it's interesting to see that their losses have only been to each other (with DelPo the exception). Shows just how difficult it is to win a slam in this generation.

Hi, how are you today?
Reply 9171
If Nadal Wins Aussie Open Then that pretty much secures the year end no. 1 for him lol. that will give him 15000 points minus 800 from djokovic 12000 will leave Nole 11200 meaning Nadal will have a 3000 point gap along with Wimbledon in Bag. Also Nole cannot Gain any points after US OPEN. But Rafa can winning China/ tokyo, Shanghai, Paris, WTF. Even If Djokovic Wins french open buy beating Nadal, Nadal will only lose 800 points in the final. And then gain the points right back at Wimby. Rafa has 2014 on lock. As a fan I'd be really disappointed if Rafa blows the year end in 2014. He has bloody 2 grandslams where he has 0 points.:wink:
Original post by ubi1
If Nadal Wins Aussie Open Then that pretty much secures the year end no. 1 for him lol. that will give him 15000 points minus 800 from djokovic 12000 will leave Nole 11200 meaning Nadal will have a 3000 point gap along with Wimbledon in Bag. Also Nole cannot Gain any points after US OPEN. But Rafa can winning China/ tokyo, Shanghai, Paris, WTF. Even If Djokovic Wins french open buy beating Nadal, Nadal will only lose 800 points in the final. And then gain the points right back at Wimby. Rafa has 2014 on lock. As a fan I'd be really disappointed if Rafa blows the year end in 2014. He has bloody 2 grandslams where he has 0 points.:wink:

How does he have Wimbledon in the bag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9173
Original post by TH3-FL45H
How does he have Wimbledon in the bag?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has a potiential 1990 lets just say 2000 points which he can potentially gain from Wimbledon to increase his lead. And Nole cannot gain points after US OPEN as he has to defend china, Shanghai, Paris, and WTF. With Murray Back Djokovic aint winning all that.:wink:

Murray will save the year and both Nadal and Murray will prevent Djokovic from winning loads of tournaments.
Reply 9174
Davis cup final heading towards 2-1 lead to Czechs, very tough for Serbia to regain the DC from here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubi1
He has a potiential 1990 lets just say 2000 points which he can potentially gain from Wimbledon to increase his lead. And Nole cannot gain points after US OPEN as he has to defend china, Shanghai, Paris, and WTF. With Murray Back Djokovic aint winning all that.:wink:

Murray will save the year and both Nadal and Murray will prevent Djokovic from winning loads of tournaments.

Oh I thought you meant that Nadal will easily win Wimbledon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9176
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Oh I thought you meant that Nadal will easily win Wimbledon

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say 2 Decent performances in Australia and Wimbledon will secure the year end no.1 the last tournament Djokovic can gain points is US open.
Djokovic won 4 TOURNAMAENTS in a row china, shanghai, paris bercy, wtf
and yet is behind nadal 1000 points who didnt do anything in Oz and Wimby.

How can Nadal not end year end no.1 in 2014?
Reply 9177
Original post by ubi1
I'd say 2 Decent performances in Australia and Wimbledon will secure the year end no.1 the last tournament Djokovic can gain points is US open.
Djokovic won 4 TOURNAMAENTS in a row china, shanghai, paris bercy, wtf
and yet is behind nadal 1000 points who didnt do anything in Oz and Wimby.

How can Nadal not end year end no.1 in 2014?

There is a difference between race to London rankings and the official ATP rankings. The former is the one you need to secure the YE1 ranking. Defending points has no bearing on who finishes in what position.
Reply 9178
Original post by Roger1
There is a difference between race to London rankings and the official ATP rankings. The former is the one you need to secure the YE1 ranking. Defending points has no bearing on who finishes in what position.

Crap! Still Rafa needs to do what he did this year but next year he has australia and wimby.:smile:
Reply 9179
Original post by ubi1
Crap! Still Rafa needs to do what he did this year but next year he has australia and wimby.:smile:

Do you honestly think he will win wimby next year after his recent performances on grass?

Latest