Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topo)
    At the moment Murray and Nadal are stronger than Del Petro on hard. Not sure Federer is still the top on grass, and Ferrer has a strong case for top three on clay!

For me it'd be:

Clay:

Nadal
    Djokovic
    Ferrer

Grass:
    Djokovic
    Murray
    Del Petro/Federer

Hard:
    Djokovic
    Nadal
    Murray

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I should have stated no particular order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I should have stated no particular order.
    Fair enough, still think Nadal has to be in the top 3 on hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Federer is still good enough for top on grass and Murray over Djokovic IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This year Nadal outdid what I'd thought he'd do on hard because I didn't think he'd do that well and Murray didn't do as well as I expected (especially his poor performance on the US open)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    This year Nadal outdid what I'd thought he'd do on hard because I didn't think he'd do that well and Murray didn't do as well as I expected (especially his poor performance on the US open)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Murray still got to the final of the Australian Open, not too shabby really! I think his injury was getting to him more by the US Open, and he met a pretty inspired opponent in Wawrinka
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't want to demean Nadal's achievement this season because it was great but i think that he benefited from a couple of kind draws (US Open everybody fell early) and fitness (Del Potro was a set and a break up at Indian Wells) so while on consistency over the hard court season he maybe gets in, i think in an outright it's the US Open final and he's had to face long grueling matches like a normal grand slam, those three would probably beat him on most occasions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topo)
    At the moment Murray and Nadal are stronger than Del Petro on hard. Not sure Federer is still the top on grass, and Ferrer has a strong case for top three on clay!

For me it'd be:

Clay:

Nadal
    Djokovic
    Ferrer

Grass:
    Djokovic
    Murray
    Del Petro/Federer

Hard:
    Djokovic
    Nadal
    Murray

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interesting - my choices would be quite similar to yours.These are based on current/recent form.

Clay

Nadal
    Djokovic
    Ferrer

Grass

Murray
    Djokovic
    Federer

Hard

Djokovic
    Nadal
    Del Potro

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't want to demean Nadal's achievement this season because it was great but i think that he benefited from a couple of kind draws (US Open everybody fell early) and fitness (Del Potro was a set and a break up at Indian Wells) so while on consistency over the hard court season he maybe gets in, i think in an outright it's the US Open final and he's had to face long grueling matches like a normal grand slam, those three would probably beat him on most occasions.
    Perhaps yes, but his performance against Djokovic in the US open was staggering and he had a better win percentage than any other player this season on hard court? (I believe?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Novak on Hard Nadal on Clay lets leave Grass out of this for now.

Novak is probably the better player now. But like I said If Rafa Has another Huge year in 2014 then the Tide would turn.

Overall Nadal is obviously better. 13 GRANDSLAM > 6 Rafa is only 11 Months older. More or less they are both the same when it comes to age. Nadals had career ending injuries Many times. To think of what would have happened had he been okay, he would have been even more successful.

Also another thing to note is the fact the Nadal has won many matches without having to play his best.
    Eight of them have been on clay though. I don't dispute that Nadal is a better clay court player than Djokovic but I am sticking with my opinion that Djokovic at his best is better than Nadal at his best on a hard court. Case in point would be the US Open final... I don't think Djokovic was particularly great in that match and lost as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seathestars)
    Eight of them have been on clay though. I don't dispute that Nadal is a better clay court player than Djokovic but I am sticking with my opinion that Djokovic at his best is better than Nadal at his best on a hard court. Case in point would be the US Open final... I don't think Djokovic was particularly great in that match and lost as a result.
    So what if 8 of them were on clay. 8 clay slams vs 6 slams.

Nadal has more clay slams then djokovic has grandslams.

IF NADAL HAS 8/13 ON CLAY DJOKOVIC IS IN REALLY BAD POSITION 5/6 ON HARD.

This Australien Open will by historic for Nadal. If he wins by beating Djokovic then he beats everyone on the favorite tournament and surface. Like Fed Wimby. Murray Wimby. Djokor on Aussie.

Also 10 year winning a slam.

Also Nadal achieves Diversity of Slams with 2 each if he gets this Aussie Open.

ReputationRep:
    Next year, Nole has to win a slam outside of AO. Historically, AO is considered to be the least prestigious slam, so if he keeps winning just that, it's not gonna do much in terms of his legacy. And his slam final record stands at 6-6. Very poor tbh. He must improve that as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Next year, Nole has to win a slam outside of AO. Historically, AO is considered to be the least prestigious slam, so if he keeps winning just that, it's not gonna do much in terms of his legacy. And his slam final record stands at 6-6. Very poor tbh. He must improve that as well.
    I agree Last time he won a slam out side his pet slam was Us open in 2011. He needs a slam out side Aussie open, If he wants to equal Johny Mac.

ReputationRep:
    Unsurprisingly poised at one all after day 1 of the Davis cup final. Gotta fancy that tomorrows doubles decides who wins it (my bet is on Czech & Rosol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Unsurprisingly poised at one all after day 1 of the Davis cup final. Gotta fancy that tomorrows doubles decides who wins it (my bet is on Czech & Rosol)
    Am supporting Rosol for the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Am supporting Rosol for the first time.
    Now that's a shocker!! -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Yeah I agree Djoko needs to get a slam outside the AO, if he can win the French that will do a lot to cement his legacy. He's getting closer to Nadal every year though and I think 2014 could be his year. When you look at the big 4 and who they have lost to in slam finals, it's interesting to see that their losses have only been to each other (with DelPo the exception). Shows just how difficult it is to win a slam in this generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Yeah I agree Djoko needs to get a slam outside the AO, if he can win the French that will do a lot to cement his legacy. He's getting closer to Nadal every year though and I think 2014 could be his year. When you look at the big 4 and who they have lost to in slam finals, it's interesting to see that their losses have only been to each other (with DelPo the exception). Shows just how difficult it is to win a slam in this generation.
    Hi, how are you today?

ReputationRep:
    If Nadal Wins Aussie Open Then that pretty much secures the year end no. 1 for him lol. that will give him 15000 points minus 800 from djokovic 12000 will leave Nole 11200 meaning Nadal will have a 3000 point gap along with Wimbledon in Bag. Also Nole cannot Gain any points after US OPEN. But Rafa can winning China/ tokyo, Shanghai, Paris, WTF. Even If Djokovic Wins french open buy beating Nadal, Nadal will only lose 800 points in the final. And then gain the points right back at Wimby. Rafa has 2014 on lock. As a fan I'd be really disappointed if Rafa blows the year end in 2014. He has bloody 2 grandslams where he has 0 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    If Nadal Wins Aussie Open Then that pretty much secures the year end no. 1 for him lol. that will give him 15000 points minus 800 from djokovic 12000 will leave Nole 11200 meaning Nadal will have a 3000 point gap along with Wimbledon in Bag. Also Nole cannot Gain any points after US OPEN. But Rafa can winning China/ tokyo, Shanghai, Paris, WTF. Even If Djokovic Wins french open buy beating Nadal, Nadal will only lose 800 points in the final. And then gain the points right back at Wimby. Rafa has 2014 on lock. As a fan I'd be really disappointed if Rafa blows the year end in 2014. He has bloody 2 grandslams where he has 0 points.
    How does he have Wimbledon in the bag?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.