Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    Fair enough. But generally though, I think in terms of average forehand speeds, I wouldn't be surprised if rosol is higher

With del potro, he would often hit a lot of normal rallying shots and then suddenly flash a 100+mph forehand out of nowhere, but rosol seems to be going full power on virtually every shot
    Hmm, could be. Even though Delpo is known for supersonic forehands - usually the flat one cross court on the run - he does tend to hit some forehands with more spin. Rosol does hit extremely flat so may well have a higher average speed. Not sure if he plays like this against lower ranked players but I reckon he probably does hit this way because of his grip, which ain't gonna produce much spin.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the unforced errors are flowing nicely from Rosol's racket all right - up to 20 already.

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally, I'm trying to remember what the hardest forehand ever hit is.

Gonzalez clocked one at 120mph I think, Delpo hit one at 120mph at Wimbledon against Djokovic, unless I'm mis-remembering. Monfils has hit some monsters around that mark too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Incidentally, I'm trying to remember what the hardest forehand ever hit is.

Gonzalez clocked one at 120mph I think, Delpo hit one at 120mph at Wimbledon against Djokovic, unless I'm mis-remembering. Monfils has hit some monsters around that mark too.
    James Blake hit 2 at around 126mph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Well, the unforced errors are flowing nicely from Rosol's racket all right - up to 20 already.
    I think Rosol hasn't realised that he's never going to find the insane ratio of Winners-UFEs he did at Wimbledon.

ReputationRep:
    James Blake hit 2 at around 126mph
    Wow, yeah I forgot about Blake. I always felt with him though when he hits shots like that he was really trying to decimate the ball, unnecessarily most of the time. With someone like Delpo it's just raw power.

ReputationRep:
    I think Rosol hasn't realised that he's never going to find the insane ratio of Winners-UFEs he did at Wimbledon.
    I think he knows that, but honestly there's no other way he can play. He's not a great defender (his height wouldn't allow for it anyway). His best hope is to serve big, catch Nadal off guard occasionally, win at least 1/2 free pts per service game and try and upset Nadal's rhythm. Very difficult to achieve on a consistent basis.
    Wimbledon 2012 was a prime example of everything coming together at exactly the right time - a "freak" occurrence.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe Rosol's game is more threatening (to Nadal at least) on grass.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe Rosol's game is more threatening (to Nadal at least) on grass.
    I think big hitters in general are a threat to Rafa on grass - particularly in the early rounds when he's slow to get into his grass court game. We've seen this a few times - in 2010 when he won his second title he was taken to 5 by both Haase (I was at that one) and Petzschner. Grass is still the surface where big hitters can take down some high ranked scalps because of the way it plays; it's the hardest surface to defend on and Rafa doesn't have as much time to run around his forehand.

ReputationRep:
    I think big hitters in general are a threat to Rafa on grass - particularly in the early rounds when he's slow to get into his grass court game. We've seen this a few times - in 2010 when he won his second title he was taken to 5 by both Haase (I was at that one) and Petzschner. Grass is still the surface where big hitters can take down some high ranked scalps because of the way it plays; it's the hardest surface to defend on and Rafa doesn't have as much time to run around his forehand.
    In a way, Rosol's a little lucky they're playing in Qatar; on clay, he'd be toast against the top guys (although he has had some success on the surface).
    I get the feeling that Rafa has relaxed off just a little in 2012 and 2013 in that period just after the French Open, going into Wimbledon. Last year, Darcis played very well, but even then it felt as if Rafa just wasn't moving well at all - he could do with a grass court warm-up tournament if he wants to make it past Week 1 again, or even win the title for a 3rd time.

ReputationRep:
    In a way, Rosol's a little lucky they're playing in Qatar; on clay, he'd be toast against the top guys (although he has had some success on the surface).
    I get the feeling that Rafa has relaxed off just a little in 2012 and 2013 in that period just after the French Open, going into Wimbledon. Last year, Darcis played very well, but even then it felt as if Rafa just wasn't moving well at all - he could do with a grass court warm-up tournament if he wants to make it past Week 1 again, or even win the title for a 3rd time.
    uncle toni made some comments after wimbledon 2013, and he criticized Nadal for lacking motivation at wimbledon. i've read some interviews by Nadal and he said because the ball bounces lower on grass (especially week one grass) it takes a lot more effort to play each shot cos he has to bend his knees more than usual. so i can see why he didn't put as much energy into wimbledon, cos he was still in some pain earlier this year and shaking off rust. so it would have been hard to play wimbledon without worrying about the knees each time he had to bend extra-low-down. also its schedule so soon after the roland garros final. but in 2015 they are changing the date of wimbledon to a week later. 2014 wills till be scheduled too soon.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the top guys would make mince meat out of Rosol on clay, let alone Rafa - he's game style is pretty unsuitable for the long rallies on the clay, even with the ability to hit through the court.

That's an interesting perspective on Rafa on the channel slam transition - does seem to be that way. I think Rafa's been a little too content after winning the French to have one or two to no grass court matches, when he really does need the grass tournament tune ups to make the transition. While Rosol was a freak loss, and Darcis was to an extent (nobody expected him to play that well), I remember Rafa hitting an unusal amount of slice backhands and not running down shots he would normally go for. It was an odd one. But I agree he needs to really get deeper into the grass tune ups to make sure his movement on the grass is solid in the first week if he ever wants to win Wimbledon again.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal has less motivation than ever to win wimbledon. Nadal is very close friends with murray so i bet Nadal enjoys seeing murray win Wimbledon. also now that Nadal is doing so great on hardcourts (in 2013 he won 3 hardcourt masters and a hardcourt slam), it makes it very easy to rely on the french open and us open/australian open).

ReputationRep:
    Was just watching highlights of the Murray-Zayed match from Doha. It's a bit of a joke that someone ranked 2000th is playing in an ATP event on the basis of nationality. That place should have been given to someone more deserving in my opinion, who can at least put on a competitive showing at this level.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Was just watching highlights of the Murray-Zayed match from Doha. It's a bit of a joke that someone ranked 2000th is playing in an ATP event on the basis of nationality. That place should have been given to someone more deserving in my opinion, who can at least put on a competitive showing at this level.
    We have a load of crappy Brits at Queens and Wi.bledon.

ReputationRep:
    Good to get some revenge over Rosol, but that was a weak performance from Rafa - 15 winners- 27 UFEs is very uncharacteristic. His forehand wasn't that effective today either. Should have some more time to tune up in the Kamke match though.

Gasquet's match will be another joke showing like Murray's match probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    We have a load of crappy Brits at Queens and Wi.bledon.
    Did you even see the match? It was over in 37 minutes. I think it's fair to give out wildcards to a nation's own players if they have potential and are going to put up a competitive showing. GB have given out too many at Wimbledon in recent years admittedly, but giving someone ranked 2000 a wildcard to an ATP event is unjustifiable.

ReputationRep:
    Good to get some revenge over Rosol, but that was a weak performance from Rafa - 15 winners- 27 UFEs is very uncharacteristic. His forehand wasn't that effective today either. Should have some more time to tune up in the Kamke match though.

Gasquet's match will be another joke showing like Murray's match probably.
    that rosol match is all about mind games, and rosol was still trying to distract Nadal, just like he did at 2012 wimbledon. i love their battles, and hope we get some more meetings before rosol retires. the trouble is, they can't really meet unless its in the 1st or 2nd round, because rosol almost never wins a match!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Did you even see the match? It was over in 37 minutes. I think it's fair to give out wildcards to a nation's own players if they have potential and are going to put up a competitive showing. GB have given out too many at Wimbledon in recent years admittedly, but giving someone ranked 2000 a wildcard to an ATP event is unjustifiable.
    They only have two ranked players, him and a 16 year old. I think it's fair to give a wildcard to local players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smallguy)
    They only have two ranked players, him and a 16 year old. I think it's fair to give a wildcard to local players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No point when the result is a foregone conclusion.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.