Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic for me starts as the solid favourite to win the AO, given the form he showed at the end of last season and faster court surface. He also starts as favourite to end the year as world number one. With Nadal approaching 28 and having started his career at such a young age, it's inevitable that he will start to show signs of decline soon. If he is too keep up with Djokovic this season, he must continue to adopt an attacking mindset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ania_dancer)
    yep i'm going to love this 2 weeks its so much fun and sampras is presenting the trophy!
    and they played 6 hours in ao final 2012, so maybe 7 or 8 hours this time i guess, if djokovic wants to. nadal said he is healthier than other years so he can do it
    It's going to be funny if Rafa wins he ties Sampras while Sampras presents him with the trophy

I hope they go 10 hours I can watch them play for days. I'd even skip college for it.

Did you know When Rafa returned last year at Vina Del Mar I used to skip school to watch his matches live on TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Djokovic for me starts as the solid favourite to win the AO, given the form he showed at the end of last season and faster court surface. He also starts as favourite to end the year as world number one. With Nadal approaching 28 and having started his career at such a young age, it's inevitable that he will start to show signs of decline soon. If he is too keep up with Djokovic this season, he must continue to adopt an attacking mindset.
    After US Open Djokovic can't gain no points in Emirates rankings.

With Nadals current schedule Only Nole from 2011 can overtake him the rankings. Also even if Nole wins Aussie open, French open, Wimbledon he still won't overtake Nadal at emirates rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    He may reach 200 weeks though also would have more Slams which is key to GOAT along with most masters. Rogers WTF and weeks at number will compete with Rafa Masters and slams then we use the H2H . After slams, Masters, Weeks at no.1 and titles has been taken into account. Nadal will be the victor in Slams/Masters/Titles Where as Federer will be the victor in Weeks at no.1/ WTF titles. So Rafa wins.

Currently Nobody can disagree :
    Federer 17 slams King of Tennis
    Nadal 13 slams King of clay and prince of Tennis

But when Rafa over takes he becomes the King of tennis FULLSTOP!
    I think he will always be the king of clay but will never be widely regarded as the GOAT. Even assuming he achieves success in the next couple of years, there are so many players I'd say were better than he is on other surfaces (hard/grass/indoor courts); Federer, Djokovic, Lendl, Mcenroe, Connors and Sampras to name a few. Federer for me is the greatest hard/grass/indoor player of all time and Nadal has no chance of matching that. His H2H record over Fed does give him an advantage though which makes the argument even more intriguing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    After US Open Djokovic can't gain no points in Emirates rankings.

With Nadals current schedule Only Nole from 2011 can overtake him the rankings. Also even if Nole wins Aussie open, French open, Wimbledon he still won't overtake Nadal at emirates rankings.
    I don't get what you are talking about here. The year end number one is the player who accumulates the most ranking points over the course of the year. Whichever player out of Nadal or Djokovic who performs best over 2014 will be the year end number one. If Djokovic wins the AO, FO and Wimbledon I'm pretty much certain he will end the year as no. 1.

ReputationRep:
    I think he will always be the king of clay but will never be widely regarded as the GOAT. Even assuming he achieves success in the next couple of years, there are so many players I'd say were better than he is on other surfaces (hard/grass/indoor courts); Federer, Djokovic, Lendl, Mcenroe, Connors and Sampras to name a few. Federer for me is the greatest hard/grass/indoor player of all time and Nadal has no chance of matching that. His H2H record over Fed does give him an advantage though which makes the argument even more intriguing.
    Will come to the ancient bit later on But for now am giving you a scenario of how Rafa is in good position this year!

Ranking as Follows Latest:
    Rafael Nadal - 13280
    Novak Djokovic - 12260

Now Nadal loses to djokovic in the Australian open final Djokovic Maintains his 12260 POINTS and Rafa gains 1200 points as he didn't play last year which increases Nadal's lead to 14480 Points. Now Moving onto French Open Nadal loses to Djokovic in the Final so Rafa loses 800 points which = 13680 points now djokovic gains 1280 points which makes Djokovics total of 13450 points. Now Djokovic wins Wimbledon he gain 800 points which puts him 14340 points and Nadal Makes it to atleast Semi final which gives Rafa 14400 points as you see Djokovic just won 3 slams in a row but Rafa still ahead .

That was a bad year for Rafa but still he's ahead of Nole dispite Not playing Miami. And now lets do scenario for Rafa

Rafa Nadal win autralian open which means he gains 2000 points which makes his tally of points 15320 points where as Djokovics tally will be 11460 points. Now Rafa Defends Clay points he maintain this lead going into Wimbledon. Let's give Nole his position of Wimbledon 2014 runner up and Rafa a semi finalist which would only increase Rafa's tally with an extra 720 points equallyling to 16040 points:eek: Record! I can't do a full season one because that would take too long but Rafa has tournaments like Hamburg where if he chose to play he would gain an extra 500 points moreover if he wins Shanghai thats another 600 points same with paris bercy and 500 more could be gain at WTF . If Rafa is healthy this could be HUGE year!

ReputationRep:
    Nadal has never done well in october-november. djokovic is supposed to win those events, especially the world tour finals which nadal hates the surface of. Nadal skipped the world tour finals in 2008 and then won the australian open in 2009

and the last time Nadal was not injured at the australian open it took djokovic 6 hours to beat him in 2012. in 2010 and 2011 Nadal had injuries at the ao quarterfinals. not good signs for djokovic cos Nadal said this week that his knees are now 100% pain free and the best they've felt in years.

the only guy declining now is djokovic, he's declined each year since his high in 2011. pretty bad at the slams now compared to 2011. djokovic had his worst slam final ever at wimbledon 2013. and us open 2013 was a really quick 4th set like 6-1! or maybe djokovic hasn't declined at all and it has all changed just because Nadal got better

ReputationRep:
    I don't get what you are talking about here. The year end number one is the player who accumulates the most ranking points over the course of the year. Whichever player out of Nadal or Djokovic who performs best over 2014 will be the year end number one. If Djokovic wins the AO, FO and Wimbledon I'm pretty much certain he will end the year as no. 1.
    I was on about Emirates ranking from 2013 not Race to london. Yh Nole would be infront in Race to London. this year Rafa will play all slams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    It's going to be funny if Rafa wins he ties Sampras while Sampras presents him with the trophy

I hope they go 10 hours I can watch them play for days. I'd even skip college for it.

Did you know When Rafa returned last year at Vina Del Mar I used to skip school to watch his matches live on TV.
    hehe sampras is funny

5 sets are the bomb, unbelievably fun at the french open semi, wow what adrenaline rush!

yup ubi i did know you skipped school for that, i think the same way as you do, its best to see it live instead of replays i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Will come to the ancient bit later on But for now am giving you a scenario of how Rafa is in good position this year!

Ranking as Follows Latest:
    Rafael Nadal - 13280
    Novak Djokovic - 12260

Now Nadal loses to djokovic in the Australian open final Djokovic Maintains his 12260 POINTS and Rafa gains 1200 points as he didn't play last year which increases Nadal's lead to 14480 Points. Now Moving onto French Open Nadal loses to Djokovic in the Final so Rafa loses 800 points which = 13680 points now djokovic gains 1280 points which makes Djokovics total of 13450 points. Now Djokovic wins Wimbledon he gain 800 points which puts him 14340 points and Nadal Makes it to atleast Semi final which gives Rafa 14400 points as you see Djokovic just won 3 slams in a row but Rafa still ahead .

That was a bad year for Rafa but still he's ahead of Nole dispite Not playing Miami. And now lets do scenario for Rafa

Rafa Nadal win autralian open which means he gains 2000 points which makes his tally of points 15320 points where as Djokovics tally will be 11460 points. Now Rafa Defends Clay points he maintain this lead going into Wimbledon. Let's give Nole his position of Wimbledon 2014 runner up and Rafa a semi finalist which would only increase Rafa's tally with an extra 720 points equallyling to 16040 points:eek: Record! I can't do a full season one because that would take too long but Rafa has tournaments like Hamburg where if he chose to play he would gain an extra 500 points moreover if he wins Shanghai thats another 600 points same with paris bercy and 500 more could be gain at WTF . If Rafa is healthy this could be HUGE year!
    This proves nothing and is all meaningless because it's based on ASSUMPTION. You cannot assume or predict how well Nadal is going to perform over the course of a whole year. It's simply delusional.

ReputationRep:
    hehe sampras is funny

5 sets are the bomb, unbelievably fun at the french open semi, wow what a adrenaline rush!

yep i did know you skipped school for that, i think the same way as you do, its best to see it live instead of replays i agree
    Mad days!

ReputationRep:
    This proves nothing and is all meaningless because it's based on ASSUMPTION. You cannot assume or predict how well Nadal is going to perform over the course of a whole year. It's simply delusional.
    Well I did Predict him as the year end no.1 when he was 6600 points behind Novak. Believe it or not Nadal is in the best position to end year end no.1 again. The places he drop's points will be made up by Australia,Wimbledon and Miami that's alot of insurance!

ReputationRep:
    If Rafa beat's Nole at Australia it may destroy Nole Mentally for the year am I right?....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    If Rafa beat's Nole at Australia it may destroy Nole Mentally for the year am I right?....
    i can't think of anything worse for boris djokovic. its the ultimate nightmare for boris djokovic by far. and he is a very mental player so something that huge would probably have long term feelings. i think losing that french open semi hurt him badly too for the future :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i can't think of anything worse for boris djokovic. its the ultimate nightmare for boris djokovic by far. and he is a very mental player so something that huge would probably have long term feelings. i think losing that french open semi hurt him badly too for the future :eek:
    Imagine he goes really downhill after the loss. Demise of Djokovic.
    It's going to be interesting to see how Rafa plays out in Indian Wells and Miami

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Well I did Predict him as the year end no.1 when he was 6600 points behind Novak. Believe it or not Nadal is in the best position to end year end no.1 again. The places he drop's points will be made up by Australia,Wimbledon and Miami that's alot of insurance!
    You making a successful prediction last year is a completely independent event, more based on being a Nadal fanboy than anything Your assumptive view of the ranking system is completely flawed imo. Nadal may well pick up points at tournaments he performed poorly at last year but he's just as likely to lose points at events he's defending. He's not in the best position to end the year as number one. No one is at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    You making a successful prediction last year is a completely independent event, more based on being a Nadal fanboy than anything Your assumptive view of the ranking system is completely flawed imo. Nadal may well pick up points at tournaments he performed poorly at last year but he's just as likely to lose points at events he's defending. He's not in the best position to end the year as number one. No one is at this stage.
    We shall soon find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Imagine he goes really downhill after the loss. Demise of Djokovic.
    It's going to be interesting to see how Rafa plays out in Indian Wells and Miami
    if Nadal wins the australian open its like party time between now and roland garros! the whole media will be like "omg he's going for the calendar year grand slam" hehe its so fun to have that happen and twice as fun because of the race to 17/18 slams

ReputationRep:
    if Nadal wins the australian open its like party time between now and roland garros! the whole media will be like "omg he's going for the calendar year grand slam" hehe its so fun to have that happen and twice as fun because of the race to 17/18 slams
    If he does 3 in row this year I can't see him ending his career under 20. Also 3 in a row means 4 in row including last years US Open so another GOATHOOD achievement. Lets just pray he does it. Once Rafa said the Calender slam or 4 in row is Impossible but he's always done the iimpossible!

ReputationRep:
    It appears Ubi has a little crush developing that isn't Rafa...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.