Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I like watching Seppi- he's an intelligent player with a solid all-court game. I remember his serve being a huge weakness years back, but he overcomes his lack of power with a high first serve percentage and good shot placement. Hewitt may have got a bit ahead of himself after winning Brisbane so not too surprised by the loss against a tough opponent. He's still got the doubles though with Rafter which should be entertaining and it's good to see the Aussie youngsters coming through their opening rounds.

ReputationRep:
    hewitt missed really easy shots over and over again. for a player who is supposed to be consistent, he makes stacks of unforced errors. i guess its to do with getting older, just like federer's errors.

ReputationRep:
    With Isner and Kohlschreiber out if Murray reach the fourth round it will definitely be against an unseeded player.

Also on the topic of spreading out the good players or having it half-heavy I think one is neither better than the other but the best situation would have been of say delpo would have been in the other half to make that section slightly more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have the Australian Open app? Their AO Radio is absolutely brilliant. Great for when I can't take watching anymore through tiredness and can just lay in bed listening to their commentary, it's funny and insightful.

ReputationRep:
    Federer is so frustrating to watch. For the first couple of sets, he was playing at his peak level, hitting winners left and right, but he went back to his recent Federror mode in the 3rd. It's tough being fans of older players, who were once virtually unbeatable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Federer is so frustrating to watch. For the first couple of sets, he was playing at his peak level, hitting winners left and right, but he went back to his recent Federror mode in the 3rd. It's tough being fans of older players, who were once virtually unbeatable.
    The reason for that was that he wanted to try and round up the match very quickly, so he ended up over-hitting the shots

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Why has play been suspended for all but two matches? Will it continue today?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Good news people, with the play suspended there are some good players on court now.

Of most interest probably is that Murray is coming on court now.

ReputationRep:
    del potro out???

Well now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    del potro out???

Well now..
    This is why I doubt if he'll ever be able to be a consistent challenge to Djokovic, Murray and Nadal he needs to get consistency. I bet Nadal and Ubi are doing a little jig. Just goes to show you can never read too much into a draw. Nadal may have the easier path into the final now than Djokovic, assuming they both get to the final of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    This is why I doubt if he'll ever be able to be a consistent challenge to Djokovic, Murray and Nadal he needs to get consistency. I bet Nadal and Ubi are doing a little jig. Just goes to show you can never read too much into a draw. Nadal may have the easier path into the final now than Djokovic, assuming they both get to the final of course
    Shocking NEWS! Delpo out. Don't worry Your boy Nole still has this tournament under his control for a few more years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Shocking NEWS! Delpo out. Don't worry Your boy Nole still has this tournament under his control for a few more years!
    I kinda want Rafa to get the AO and Nole to get RG just to shake things up a bit... Sport is at its best when it isn't following a script

I am still hoping to see Murray vs Nadal just to see how far Murray has come since they last played so hopefully Muzza doesn't let me down and Nadal doesn't do a Wimby

ReputationRep:
    I kinda want Rafa to get the AO and Nole to get RG just to shake things up a bit... Sport is at its best when it isn't following a script

I am still hoping to see Murray vs Nadal just to see how far Murray has come since they last played so hopefully Muzza doesn't let me down and Nadal doesn't do a Wimby
    Sick guy!

If Rafa beats Nole in Australia then it becomes 9-3 in GRAND SLAM matches against Nole . Which means even though the rivalry is a close as it is Rafa ends it being the ultimate victor. Old Pal Roger suffered a similar fate 8-2 in grand slam matches but Nole might eclipse it if he loses in Australia and RG.

However coming to your point about Nole doing RG and Rafa doing Ozzie that'd be huge because Djokovic will tie Macenroe perphaps in many people's eyes eclipse Mac and for Nadal australia bring Diversity of the slams and 10th in a row winning atleast 1 slam. HUGE for both. So much at stake this year.

Murray is actually playing really well. And Rafa has his first true test Monfils coming on Saturday? Murray may well beat Nadal but lose to Djokovic in the final or vise versa Nadal beats Murray and loses to Djokovic.

ReputationRep:
    im new to this thread and i would love to see murray vs nadal as they haven't played since 2011 tokyo i think murray if healthy would be my favourite especially as the courts are faster this year and i think imo hes a better hard court player and murrays backhand can really pierce through nadals forehand on a hardcourt not to mention murrays much much improved forehand and his new mentally positive approaches to big matches. Djokovic however I feel will be fresh heading into the final which I think is going to be a important factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revisionbug)
    im new to this thread and i would love to see murray vs nadal as they haven't played since 2011 tokyo i think murray if healthy would be my favourite especially as the courts are faster this year and i think imo hes a better hard court player and murrays backhand can really pierce through nadals forehand on a hardcourt not to mention murrays much much improved forehand and his new mentally positive approaches to big matches. Djokovic however I feel will be fresh heading into the final which I think is going to be a important factor.
    I wouldn't say Murray is a better hard court player than Nadal thats really pushing it lol. Murray has a better game for Hardcourts and his game suits hardcourt more. Everybody's game is suited better to hard then Nadals obviously because of spin he puts which isn't good for hardcourts. You need flatter shots. Coming to your point Murray is the Favourite to beat Rafa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Sick guy!

If Rafa beats Nole in Australia then it becomes 9-3 in GRAND SLAM matches against Nole . Which means even though the rivalry is a close as it is Rafa ends it being the ultimate victor. Old Pal Roger suffered a similar fate 8-2 in grand slam matches but Nole might eclipse it if he loses in Australia and RG.

However coming to your point about Nole doing RG and Rafa doing Ozzie that'd be huge because Djokovic will tie Macenroe perphaps in many people's eyes eclipse Mac and for Nadal australia bring Diversity of the slams and 10th in a row winning atleast 1 slam. HUGE for both. So much at stake this year.

Murray is actually playing really well. And Rafa has his first true test Monfils coming on Saturday? Murray may well beat Nadal but lose to Djokovic in the final or vise versa Nadal beats Murray and loses to Djokovic.
    Yeah definitely a lot of history at stake for both guys. I think 2014 will be more balanced between them I don't see one absolutely owning the other but the year's only just started so I guess we'll find out soon enough. Wawrinka may mix things up in Nole's half but I doubt he'll beat him because I'm sure Nole will want to have the chance to beat Nadal in another GS final since he last did that 2 years ago (wow how time flies)

I don't know if Murray can beat Nadal with his back surgery not so long ago but I can't see Nadal winning in straight sets if they do play each other

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely a lot of history at stake for both guys. I think 2014 will be more balanced between them I don't see one absolutely owning the other but the year's only just started so I guess we'll find out soon enough. Wawrinka may mix things up in Nole's half but I doubt he'll beat him because I'm sure Nole will want to have the chance to beat Nadal in another GS final since he last did that 2 years ago (wow how time flies)

I don't know if Murray can beat Nadal with his back surgery not so long ago but I can't see Nadal winning in straight sets if they do play each other
    I agree but this year am leaning towards Djokovic to cause some serious damage to Nadal. Mentally! Because if he beats him at australia in 4 sets he may carry that momentum all the way to RG. Nole is deadly at carrying on with momentum he hasn't lose a match since US OPEN lol. He's the real no.1 and will retain his crown soon!

Murray still has the shots to cause damage! especially in the heat. However the bad news for Murray is that Nadal's form improves as the tournament goes on.

I do hope Wawrinka Mixs things up! but Novak has amazing Stamina, defence, return, serve, backhand, forehand. He's just too good. If he wins Aussie open he goes on a 30 winstreak He's most likely to win dubai and extend it to 35 or something WOW!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    I wouldn't say Murray is a better hard court player than Nadal thats really pushing it lol. Murray has a better game for Hardcourts and his game suits hardcourt more. Everybody's game is suited better to hard then Nadals obviously because of spin he puts which isn't good for hardcourts. You need flatter shots. Coming to your point Murray is the Favourite to beat Rafa!
    I just think murrays game troubles nadal alot on a hardcourt the only time ive seen nadal convincingly beat murray on a hardcourt is the 2011 Us open semi final. In terms of the breakdown of the matchup back in 2011 murray used to just but the ball back when returning which helped him against 98% of the tour but not against Rafas heavy spin serve and his returns just landed short against Rafa and he would be on the defense straight away this was apparent especially in 2011 where Rafa beat murray in 3 consecutive semis at Grand slams. Lendl changed the way murray returns now and he doesnt just get the ball back in play when returning but attacks the ball and puts it deep whenever possible i think this would help murray greatly against nadal given hes already a great returner. Secondly on a hardcourt nadals forehand isnt the same like it is on clay , murrays backhand can attack nadals forehand and remember now that hes back pain free expect him to hit more down the line backhands and hit better passing shots and defend better with the backhand. I think atm murray is iffy because of the injury but wel get a better idea where hes at by next week

ReputationRep:
    In case you haven't noticed im a murray fan lol been one since 2008 i've supported him through all his downtimes i always thought he would win a slam ever since I saw him playing against Rafa at the 2007 Australian open.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh Del Potro, why do you forsake thee.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.