Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Very little separates them. Saying Nadal is more skillful than Djokovic is a purely subjective and baseless statement. Djokovic is one of the most mental toughest guys on tour, he had a minor dip last year and still one a GS and did extremely well in the other 3 something your man didn't do. How do you know Nadal has more slams left in him? You don't. Given their ages and fitness I'd say it's pretty clear that both men have more slams in them given Federer's decline and the lack of real challengers coming through. Sorry but unlike with Federer Nadal hasn't got Djokovic completely figured out yet, even if he does win the AO. That's why I like this rivalry because it's exactly that a rivalry! 2014 is going to be very interesting..
    Makes no difference whether djokovic is fitter or not, Rafa isn't winning with his fitness, he's winning with his skill. Like I said Rafa isn't as fast as he once was, but he is winning with improved skills, whereas djokovic's skills peaked in 2011 and you saw in 2013 that he has trouble smashing. How long does it take to learn how to smash? If djokovic hasn't figured smashing out by now he never will.

Rafa and djokovic have met 11 times in slams and Rafa has won 8 of them. Djokovic can get more wins in best-of-3 sets but not in slams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ania_dancer)
    Makes no difference whether djokovic is fitter or not, Rafa isn't winning with his fitness, he's winning with his skill. Like I said Rafa isn't as fast as he once was, but he is winning with improved skills, whereas djokovic's skills peaked in 2011 and you saw in 2013 that he has trouble smashing. How long does it take to learn how to smash? If djokovic hasn't figured smashing out by now he never will.

Rafa and djokovic have met 11 times in slams and Rafa has won 8 of them. Djokovic can get more wins in best-of-3 sets but not in slams.
    Again a rivalry means either guy can win any match they play be that in GSs or other matches. Djokovic almost won at RG last year so with his improved mind set and game he can do better this year. Nadal has a history of faltering after a great year so I wouldn't be so confident if I were you. Djokovic plays better when he's chasing so watch out

ReputationRep:
    and djokovic has a history of winning slams outside of australia in 2011 and no other year

i think 2013 was the only window for djokovic to win roland garros. Rafa was seriously hurting for the first half of the year, he had recovery pains just as his doctor said he would. Rafa showed how much his body improved after wimbledon. 2014 will be a massacre, because nadal is fitter now than he was in 2013 (and in 2013 he won 2 slams and 5 masters, and 10 titles overall)

ReputationRep:
    and djokovic has a history of winning slams outside of australia in 2011 and no other year

i think 2013 was the only window for djokovic to win roland garros. Rafa was seriously hurting for the first half of the year, he had recovery pains just as his doctor said he would. Rafa showed how much his body improved after wimbledon. 2014 will be a massacre, because nadal is fitter now than he was in 2013 (and in 2013 he won 2 slams and 5 masters, and 10 titles overall)
    Just wondering if you remember the worst schedule in Tennis?

I remember Nadal's schedule well:

Saturday: Third round against Soderling (persistent rain delays)
    Sunday: No play (despite it being sunny all day with no rain)
    Monday: Third round against Soderling (persistent rain delays)
    Tuesday: Third round against Soderling (persistent rain delays)
    Wednesday: Third round against Soderling (persistent rain delays, finally completed)
    Thursday: Fourth round against Youzhny
    Friday: Quarter Final against Berdych
    Saturday: Semi Final against Djokovic
    Sunday: Final against Federer

ReputationRep:

sorry to burst your bubble but nadal had no competition in the us open series Montreal Cincinnati and the Us Open. Djokovic was seriously off form and mentally out of it and murray was injured after Wimbledon not to take anything from Rafas form it was amazing but he didnt really have any competition not to mention Berdych, Tsonga Ferrer were off form too as well as Del potro being injured he beat Gasquet in the semis of the Us Open lol.
    Gasquet is one of the mentally weakest players ever beating him in a semi of a slam is like taking candy from a baby and Djokovic played one of his worst matches in recent years in the final so yeah Nadals hardcourt form wasnt that impressive tbh given the state of the tour at the time oh and I forgot federer was playing his worst tennis since 2001-2002

ReputationRep:
    those players are controlled by Rafa, he controls their form. look at their matches the days before they play Rafa. they come in on fire and Rafa puts them out. that's what happened to djokovic at the us open. djokovic will be on fire before the final, but Rafa will put him out

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Revisionbug;46021643]sorry to burst your bubble but nadal had no competition in the us open series Montreal Cincinnati and the Us Open. Djokovic was seriously off form and mentally out of it and murray was injured after Wimbledon not to take anything from Rafas form it was amazing but he didnt really have any competition not to mention Berdych, Tsonga Ferrer were off form too as well as Del potro being injured he beat Gasquet in the semis of the Us Open lol.
    Gasquet is one of the mentally weakest players ever beating him in a semi of a slam is like taking candy from a baby and Djokovic played one of his worst matches in recent years in the final so yeah Nadals hardcourt form wasnt that impressive tbh given the state of the tour at the time oh and I forgot federer was playing his worst tennis since 2001-2002[/QU

Couldn't agree more. Coming off the back of destroying Gasquet it's hardly surprising Nadal was fresher and won the final, even then Djokovic should have at least won 2 sets. Nadal had a good year whilst Djokovic had a bad one. 2014 will be interesting as hopefully both guys will have a good year

ReputationRep:

Djokovic is getting closer and closer to getting RG every year it doesn't take a genius to see that. He's still young and playing at a high level so I wouldn't be surprised if he wins it before he retires.
    It seems you base your arguments on the assumption that Nadal is the only player on tour that knows how to improve his game which is just ridiculous to be honest

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic is getting closer and closer to getting RG every year it doesn't take a genius to see that. He's still young and playing at a high level so I wouldn't be surprised if he wins it before he retires.
    It seems you base your arguments on the assumption that Nadal is the only player on tour that knows how to improve his game which is just ridiculous to be honest
    While she's certain that Rafa's going to win Aussie and RG am feeling very scared the opposite might happen

ReputationRep:
    2013 was djokovic's big chance to win roland garros. Rafa's doctor told him to expect a lot of restriction and pain in the first couple of months of his comeback, and that's exactly what happened. somehow Rafa still won roland garros. and then after wimbledon he was not restricted at all, and looked clearly better at the us open and now australian open. nadal to win 3 of the 4 slams this year, with only wimbledon being too much to prepare for (while murray will probably only care about wimbledon), but at least in 2015 they are scheduling wimbledon a week later

ReputationRep:
    2013 was djokovic's big chance to win roland garros. Rafa's doctor told him to expect a lot of restriction and pain in the first couple of months of his comeback, and that's exactly what happened. somehow Rafa still won roland garros. and then after wimbledon he was not restricted at all, and looked clearly better at the us open and now australian open. nadal to win 3 of the 4 slams this year, with only wimbledon being too much to prepare for (while murray will probably only care about wimbledon), but at least in 2015 they are scheduling wimbledon a week later
    As good as Nadal was last year at most I see him getting two, if he sneaks AO 14 I see Djokovic going all out for revenge and Nadal has been mediocre on grass for a while now... Plus I see Djokovic and Murray coming back stronger for the hard court swing so let's see what happens...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    While she's certain that Rafa's going to win Aussie and RG am feeling very scared the opposite might happen
    It can really go either way, realistically I see them splitting those two this year but none of the above is out of the question. I'm just excited to see what 2014 brings

ReputationRep:
    By 2015 Rafa will be 29, Murray 28 and Djokovic 28... Will the younger guys get a look in by the 2015 season or will it take the big 4 to retire before they all fall away at the slams and other big tournaments? What does everyone think?

ReputationRep:
    i don't think djokovic can beat murray at wimbledon. i think Rafa should skip wimbledon until 2015 when they schedule it better. revenge doesn't work in tennis. if you try to play angry in tennis you usually don't play your best. tennis is a skillful sport.

ReputationRep:
    By 2015 Rafa will be 29, Murray 28 and Djokovic 28... Will the younger guys get a look in by the 2015 season or will it take the big 4 to retire before they all fall away at the slams and other big tournaments? What does everyone think?
    the younger guys will get a look in at the 2015 australian open and us open (does not mean they will win it). but the younger guys will have to wait about 5 more years before they can get close to Rafa at roland garros. and i think murray will control wimbledon for a few more years.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think djokovic can beat murray at wimbledon. i think Rafa should skip wimbledon until 2015 when they schedule it better. revenge doesn't work in tennis. if you try to play angry in tennis you usually don't play your best. tennis is a skillful sport.
    Oh really?! Tennis is a skillful sport?! Here I was thinking they just turned up and whacked balls for hours on end...

Djokovic was up a break in both the second and third sets but mentally wasn't in it, he can beat Murray on grass, them meeting twice on grass and once in a best of 5 match on the surface definitely isn't enough evidence to make such bold statements

Who said anything about revenge? It's called motivation. Just like Rafa was motivated to play better after getting destroyed by Djokovic in 2011 and Djokovic was motivated to go on a winning streak after getting destroyed by Nadal in the US Open. There's plenty of skill to go round in tennis and Nadal isn't the only player that has it in abundance

Rafa skipping Wimbledon is just silly. Wimby is a gold mine for ranking points, especially given his recent form; he's won the tournament twice so can realistically do so again and it just happens to be the most prestigious tournament in tennis. As well as a skillful sport tennis is a logical one

ReputationRep:
    Im really upset about the way murray was handling lopez's lefy forehand today I dont think he will beat nadal in the semis anymore nadal will most likely destroy him unless he really ups his game. Slicing in response to nadals forehand crosscourt would mean a straight sets loss. There just seems to be something not right with his game he looks vulnerable in baseline exchanges sigh another nadal and djokovic final will commence

ReputationRep:
    the younger guys will get a look in at the 2015 australian open and us open (does not mean they will win it). but the younger guys will have to wait about 5 more years before they can get close to Rafa at roland garros. and i think murray will control wimbledon for a few more years.
    You're counting on 5 more consecutive RGs? Good god. I've no qualms with Rafa being the best clay courter ever, but that's just a ridiculous claim to make. You might be worse than ub1!

ReputationRep:
    It's weird to see someone as obsessed as Ubi.. hoping for a strong performance from the winner of Tsonga-Federer in the rest of the tourney!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    You're counting on 5 more consecutive RGs? Good god. I've no qualms with Rafa being the best clay courter ever, but that's just a ridiculous claim to make. You might be worse than ub1!
    Who's do you think will win this years AO in my eyes Nole?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.