The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Original post by Kado
No.

Best he'll manage is world number 3 which would be an impressive achievement in itself. Not a prayer Djokovic will drop 6000 points over the hard court season unless he gets a serious injury.

Nadal can easily overtake Murray and Federer not being disrespectful to these fantastic players but the gap between fed and murray and nadal isnt too great and if nadal is victorious in madrid then roger federer loses 640 points which puts him only 1200 points behind Nadal. Also Federer has to defend Wimbledon to maintain that 1200 points lead, where as If nadal gets to the final of wimbledon and federer doesnt get to the final then nadal will be in the top 3 in rankings. If your wondering about david ferrer well if nadal is victorious in madrid lt will put david ferrer just less than 100 points infront of nadal, As for murray I dont think he can defend his Us open crown and if he doesnt defend his crown hes going to slip down losing a **** ton of points. Nadal can be world no.2 just by defending his clay points and getting to finals of wimbledon and Us open as that gives him 2400 points furthermore nadal is playing 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments before the Us open thats also a bonus as hes not defending anything there and after us open he has 2 more tournaments which are ATP 500 and 2 more hard court masters 1000 tournaments and then the world tour finals really busy schedule and also a really good one for him to gain a huge amount of points.:smile:
Original post by ubi1
Nadal can easily overtake Murray and Federer not being disrespectful to these fantastic players but the gap between fed and murray and nadal isnt too great and if nadal is victorious in madrid then roger federer loses 640 points which puts him only 1200 points behind Nadal. Also Federer has to defend Wimbledon to maintain that 1200 points lead, where as If nadal gets to the final of wimbledon and federer doesnt get to the final then nadal will be in the top 3 in rankings. If your wondering about david ferrer well if nadal is victorious in madrid lt will put david ferrer just less than 100 points infront of nadal, As for murray I dont think he can defend his Us open crown and if he doesnt defend his crown hes going to slip down losing a **** ton of points. Nadal can be world no.2 just by defending his clay points and getting to finals of wimbledon and Us open as that gives him 2400 points furthermore nadal is playing 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments before the Us open thats also a bonus as hes not defending anything there and after us open he has 2 more tournaments which are ATP 500 and 2 more hard court masters 1000 tournaments and then the world tour finals really busy schedule and also a really good one for him to gain a huge amount of points.:smile:

Nadal is going to have a heck of a year then :wink: betta get off to the bookies tomorrow and put my savings on these events :tongue:
Reply 1442
Original post by hskjlclcn
Nadal is going to have a heck of a year then :wink: betta get off to the bookies tomorrow and put my savings on these events :tongue:

Even Rafa himself said in a interview, "its not impossible for me to get back to world no.1", also if you read alot of tennis articles loads of people also believe he can become year end no.1.
Original post by ubi1
Even Rafa himself said in a interview, "its not impossible for me to get back to world no.1", also if you read alot of tennis articles loads of people also believe he can become year end no.1.

Oh i'm not saying it's impossible, far from it - but I think it's going to take far longer than a year!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1444
Original post by ubi1

Has Rafa confirmed he's playing all these events? Coming back from a knee injury which kept him out for ages, I wouldn't want to be playing loads of hard court tennis.
Reply 1445
Original post by Slumpy
Has Rafa confirmed he's playing all these events? Coming back from a knee injury which kept him out for ages, I wouldn't want to be playing loads of hard court tennis.

Yes also hes playing in Basel an event he hasn't played since 2004.
Reply 1446
Original post by ballgirl
Well if the crowd dont like him thats their choice. Maybe they are all beginning to realise what a nasty man he really is!

i dont understand what this guy needs to do to get some respect from you people.
On court he always fights,correcting umpires when they make mistakes and giving the point to the other player.
Of the court he try's to be the best ambasador for tennis and sport overall,donating to charity,constantly chatting to people live on social networks,visiting kindergardens and schools and the list goes on and on.
He is world number1 and should get some respect like he deserves.
Original post by ubi1
Nadal can be world no.2 just by defending his clay points and getting to finals of wimbledon and Us open as that gives him 2400 points furthermore nadal is playing 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments before the Us open thats also a bonus as hes not defending anything there and after us open he has 2 more tournaments which are ATP 500 and 2 more hard court masters 1000 tournaments and then the world tour finals really busy schedule and also a really good one for him to gain a huge amount of points.:smile:

Totally simple, right?
Original post by ubi1
If Rafa Nadal wins Madrid,Rome and french open do you guys think he can still have a great chance of being Year end no.1, if he wins madrid and defends rest of his clay points hes only going to be 6000 points behind Novak djokovic and hes currently 2nd in Race to London Rankings.

I think that there is a realistic chance of any of the big four ending the year as number 1, but while we're being realistic we have to accept that Djokovic is the really heavy favourite for that position. Ordinarily I would say that Nadal has the best chance of overtaking him, but Nadal is still too unpredictable because of his break, and to expect that kind of dominance from him again so soon would be unreasonable. Particularly since he has shown that he is vulnerable even on clay at the moment I can't see him picking up the points on the hard courts where the other three are probably stronger than him, so I would guess he won't finish higher than 2. Of course, Nadal has a history of unreasonable achievements, and so we can't count him out of being number 1, but I wouldn't say his chance was particularly great.
Why is it that Federer is the only one of the big four capable of performing at Madrid?
Wah? Did you see his match against Stepanek? Was very poor...
Original post by TH3-FL45H
:confused:

Damn I thought this said Tetris :facepalm2:
Nishikori is beating some scrub at the moment. Can't believe Kei dropped the second set, I mean this other guy is just shanking everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Federer's out! :eek:
****. Federer what the hell. Screwed up my ATP draw completely now.

If Nadal does not win Madrid now, I refuse to watch tennis for the rest of this month.
And also, this is the first time EVER that Murray has remained in a clay tournament with Federer and Djokovic having both gone out.
Reply 1456
So this title is pretty much Rafa's now?
Original post by Prendah
So this title is pretty much Rafa's now?

Out of the three I expected to win it, he's the only one left but....
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Out of the three I expected to win it, he's the only one left but....

He'll just be more determined to win it, now that he knows that he won't need to go through the 2 big threats to his chances. Murray's there obviously, but he has to worry about an in-form Wawrinka and Berdych before he even reaches the final.

That's the end of my Madrid then :frown: I'm just going to focus on my own game instead of getting unnecessarily frustrated by the Big 4.

(Although, something tells me that had these two matches with ND and RF been best of 5 sets, the result could very well have been different, which is why I'm not too concerned about either of them at Roland Garros yet).
Original post by Krish4791
He'll just be more determined to win it, now that he knows that he won't need to go through the 2 big threats to his chances. Murray's there obviously, but he has to worry about an in-form Wawrinka and Berdych before he even reaches the final.

That's the end of my Madrid then :frown: I'm just going to focus on my own game instead of getting unnecessarily frustrated by the Big 4.

(Although, something tells me that had these two matches with ND and RF been best of 5 sets, the result could very well have been different, which is why I'm not too concerned about either of them at Roland Garros yet).

Over 5 sets IMO djokovic would have come back but Nishikori would have still beat federer

Latest