Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Winning matches while playing lower quality tennis than your opponent -- vintage Nadal. It offends my sensibilities.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so: disclaimer. I have nothing against Nadal as a person. I find him a great guy in interviews and I'm sure he's lovely guy in real life. However, on a serious note, purely about his playstyle: how can anyone find this an entertaining style of tennis to watch? 6 winners and 4 UEs to Gulbis 25/23, and Nadal takes the set? I mean, what? Hell, I enjoy watching Murray and Djokovic and Ferrer play and they're all baseline grinders/baseline counterpunchers, but at least Murray has his dropshot and crosscourt, Djokovic his backhand, and Ferrer's tendency to take shallow balls early - I just can't see what Nadal is doing in this match - it's just human backboarding. I respect that takes a huge level of skill and fitness, and it's not easy to do, but regardless of that - what does Nadal have that is appealing to watch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Okay, so: disclaimer. I have nothing against Nadal as a person. I find him a great guy in interviews and I'm sure he's lovely guy in real life. However, on a serious note, purely about his playstyle: how can anyone find this an entertaining style of tennis to watch? 6 winners and 4 UEs to Gulbis 25/23, and Nadal takes the set? I mean, what? Hell, I enjoy watching Murray and Djokovic and Ferrer play and they're all baseline grinders/baseline counterpunchers, but at least Murray has his dropshot and crosscourt, Djokovic his backhand, and Ferrer's tendency to take shallow balls early - I just can't see what Nadal is doing in this match - it's just human backboarding. I respect that takes a huge level of skill and fitness, and it's not easy to do, but regardless of that - what does Nadal have that is appealing to watch?
    Big biceps and a "cute" smile. His legions of fans consist mainly of teenage girls and bored housewives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Big biceps and a "cute" smile. His legions of fans consist mainly of teenage girls and bored housewives.
    I wonder if they know the rumours... I mean, I don't like to comment really because a) it seems unlikely, and b) it's his business, but I do think the financial pressures are pretty high.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think his playing style comes off better depending who he plays.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's a bit low, Ashnard. I have pics like that of me with a few close mates from when we all went to France; we're still only mates. It's really Nadal's business. Personally, I'd prefer it if it wasn't the case, simply because the idea such a prominent player feels unable to come out says something rather damning about the sport.
    Okay. I've deleted the post. In retrospect it was in poor taste.

I wasn't even planning on posting here until the end of my exams, but just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! I'll go now, but I'll be back in the second week of RG. Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Gulbis saves despite breaking string on the serve. I mean, ****. Who can possibly be wanting Nadal to win at this point in the match? Gulbis has been ****ing awesome.

EDIT: man, that was a ****ing depressing match. Winning after standing 10m behind the baseline, hitting less winners in the entire match than your opponent does in the first 4 games of the first set, serving at sub-WTA speeds. I just... bah, that is depressing.

ReputationRep:
    The King is through. PHEW

ReputationRep:
    Name:  aF5HSGc.png
Views: 34
Size:  181.7 KB
    Mental.

ReputationRep:
    Ernests also won 97 points to Rafa's 94. I just... I don't know. Results like that put you off tennis.

ReputationRep:
    Ernests also won 97 points to Rafa's 94. I just... I don't know. Results like that put you off tennis.
    Erm....Rafa's 1st serve was 76% as opposed to Ernests' 60%. No aces. As Rafa has proven time & again, true grit and 'willingness to suffer' will oftentimes do the trick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Erm....Rafa's 1st serve was 76% as opposed to Ernests' 60%. No aces. As Rafa has proven time & again, true grit and 'willingness to suffer' will oftentimes do the trick!
    On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love nadal?

ReputationRep:
    Well you can certainly say Nadal knows how to win ..

Undeserved perhaps, but it's who crosses the line first not who throws the most punches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love nadal?
    Nadal was absolutely dreadful in the first set and was lucky he was not on the end of a bagel. Gulbis played fantastic in the first set and and majority of the second but I cant help but think he will be kicking himself big time, because Rafa was there for the taking in the 2nd set as well. Nadal won and found away to win but mark my words if Rafa plays like that against Novak he will get hammered throughly. I like Rafa as much as the next fan but the problem he faces is that his game has not changed in all the years I've watched him and his backhand if anything has got worse. He is over reliant on his forehand and players know this and more importantly people have worked out how to play him. As much as it pains me to say wether it is to many injuries catching up with him or loss of confidence

ReputationRep:
    LOL at some of the posters on here. Gulbis could've won but he did not, like someone just said here, throwing all the punches doesn't win you the match alone, you need to win match point and sadly Gulbis never got one. And if you are put off tennis from watching a Nadal match here is some advice for you: Don't watch Nadal play anymore, perhaps watch the players that make you like tennis. Since when was having good defence on clay a bad thing? Clay court tennis is built around that.

ReputationRep:
    I see Ashnard has resurfaced with his usual Fedtard-inspired remarks about Nadal.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal has become more inconsistent over the last couple of years or so. He has those moments of brilliance, but has also been making several uncharacteristic errors. The serve is not there yet. Returns are too short still, Djokovic would kill them off if he got the chance. This Nadal, however, is still very difficult to beat on clay for the time being.
    In some ways, he reminds me of Federer 2009 - still very good, but inconsistent at times. The one thing he's doing better is he's still finding a way to win almost every match. Question is, how much longer will he go on before the bubble bursts?

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, you will all get what you hope for when Rafa is destroyed for 'all the horrible tennis' he plays by Djokovic in the semis.

ReputationRep:
    It's not been horrible tennis or anything like that, I've just seen him play better. He can beat Djokovic, but not if he starts like he did today - almost lost the first set 6-0?

He's riding a wave of momentum in any case - someone is going to have to be very mentally strong to even have a hope of beating him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    It's not been horrible tennis or anything like that, I've just seen him play better. He can beat Djokovic, but not if he starts like he did today - almost lost the first set 6-0?
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to you, just two others. It's almost like MC where he got plain outplayed in the first set and almost got bagelled, it's clear, when he is up against someone with such a strong BH he is very vulnerable, not sure if you watched the Madrid QF, but Ferrer applied a similar game plan to what Djokovic uses against Rafa and he got pushed. What surprised me is he kept going to Gulbis' BH when his FH is weaker, it worked for him in IW but he chose not to go for it today? But I agree, i've seen him play better, we already know what will happen should he face Djokovic, looks like Rome will be the first tournament since his comback where he doesn't make the final, in fact I think Ferrer has a chance to actually beat him this time. Kinda wanted Rafa to lose here and go and prep for RG but he gutted out the win much to the dismay of many.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.