Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Tennis Society III Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Sure, but by the time he double-faulted his elbow was already clearly bothering him. It's a shame, I was looking forward to a slightly longer fight because it was a very enjoyable match.

EDIT: Good play by Federer, though. Sharpest he's looked in a while.
    Yes, I noticed he clutched his elbow more and more towards the end of the 2nd set. Not sure exactly how old he is, but Jerzy will have time to straighten out his game a little and be intelligent with his dropshots (it cost him the first set as well). Still, it was stunning the way some of those 230km/h serves came back over the net! Rog probably quite used to receiving those bombs from Roddick. If he keeps this up, he could very well win the title.

Also, in complete contrast to the Nadal-Ferrer match, these two guys raced through the games, didn't get stuck in too many baseline rallies, and served several aces between them and hit several great winners. Nice bit of variety to the day's tennis, which is quite pleasing in some ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Yes, I noticed he clutched his elbow more and more towards the end of the 2nd set. Not sure exactly how old he is, but Jerzy will have time to straighten out his game a little and be intelligent with his dropshots (it cost him the first set as well). Still, it was stunning the way some of those 230km/h serves came back over the net! Rog probably quite used to receiving those bombs from Roddick. If he keeps this up, he could very well win the title.

Also, in complete contrast to the Nadal-Ferrer match, these two guys raced through the games, didn't get stuck in too many baseline rallies, and served several aces between them and hit several great winners. Nice bit of variety to the day's tennis, which is quite pleasing in some ways.
    He's 22, which is a bit "old" for a youngster, but that said he's made a Master's final, some quarters, had his fair share of top ten wins, etc; so even if he can't engineer massive changes, I'm not sure he necessarily needs to - he's amongst the best if not the best of the next generation. I'd certainly pick him over Dimitrov, for example.

ReputationRep:
    He's 22, which is a bit "old" for a youngster, but that said he's made a Master's final, some quarters, had his fair share of top ten wins, etc; so even if he can't engineer massive changes, I'm not sure he necessarily needs to - he's amongst the best if not the best of the next generation. I'd certainly pick him over Dimitrov, for example.
    I'd say 22 is really young in the modern game.

ReputationRep:
    Shame to get an elbow injury with the French Open coming up.
    Read an interview of Benoit Paire the other day, he said Federer usually humiliates him on court lol, and that is probably what will happen today. His win over Granollers was good, but that was Granollers.

ReputationRep:
    no way, Dimitrov and Raonic have it over Janowicz...Dimitrov is going to be big.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LookIts_Liam)
    no way, Dimitrov and Raonic have it over Janowicz...Dimitrov is going to be big.
    I second this - when he sorts his fitness out he'll be top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamsie555)
    I second this - when he sorts his fitness out he'll be top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5
    The only thing keeping Raonic and Nikishori out of the top 10 now is that they are pitiful on clay.

I still think Tomic at his best is streaks above the others mentioned although i full expect Del Potro to be the world number 1 within 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LookIts_Liam)
    Raonic has a serve and little else. He might achieve the sort of career you'd expect from a better Isner, but that's still not going to be much more than say, a brief stint in the top 5 but mostly hovering at no. 20-10 region.

Dimitrov... I don't know. In many ways it is easier to sort out your game than it is to sort out your head. Berdych is an example of that. I mean, his playstyle is very different to Dimitrov, but in many ways the only reason Berdych can't keep up with much of the big 4 is because mentally his game just isn't there. That's also something incredibly difficult to fix. Janowicz actually has a really cool head under pressure. If you saw that match against Federer, he remained motivated and concentrate throughout. I don't think Dimitrov can do that, and I'm not entirely convinced Dimitrov will ever be able to do that. Much like Berdych, Dimitrov will score big wins over important people on those days everything clicks, but I think Janowicz will probably go further.

I mean, look at it this way. There's 5 months between Dimitrov and Janowicz. Janowicz has:

- made 3R in the AO and Wimbledon
    - made a Master's final, even if it was with some luck
    - has 8 wins against top 10 players

Dimitrov has:

- never made it past 2R of a Grand Slam (despite entering more!)
    - best Master's result is a QF, which Janowicz matches even if you discard Janowicz' Paris run.
    - has 3 wins against top 10 players

And it gets even worse when you consider that Dimitrov, although he is 5 months younger than Janowicz, has been ATP-level just a little longer (he got some nice wildcards much earlier on. Janowicz reached ATP from Challengers the hard way). Unless Dimitrov pulls some serious, serious results over the next 5 months, he'll be behind where Janowicz was at this point in his career. Maybe he'll improve faster, but I doubt it because Janowicz has to improve his game, which is manageable. Dimitrov, as I mentioned, has to improve his head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The only thing keeping Raonic and Nikishori out of the top 10 now is that they are pitiful on clay.

I still think Tomic at his best is streaks above the others mentioned although i full expect Del Potro to be the world number 1 within 3 years.
    The thing about Tomic is his attitude tbh, in comparision to the other "youngsters" out there then talent wise he's definitely near the top & already made the 4R & QFs of GS by the age of 20, so his record is better than any of the other young guns out there, if he can just sort is head out he'd definitely be at least top 10 in the future.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Raonic has a serve and little else. He might achieve the sort of career you'd expect from a better Isner, but that's still not going to be much more than say, a brief stint in the top 5 but mostly hovering at no. 20-10 region.

Dimitrov... I don't know. In many ways it is easier to sort out your game than it is to sort out your head. Berdych is an example of that. I mean, his playstyle is very different to Dimitrov, but in many ways the only reason Berdych can't keep up with much of the big 4 is because mentally his game just isn't there. That's also something incredibly difficult to fix. Janowicz actually has a really cool head under pressure. If you saw that match against Federer, he remained motivated and concentrate throughout. I don't think Dimitrov can do that, and I'm not entirely convinced Dimitrov will ever be able to do that. Much like Berdych, Dimitrov will score big wins over important people on those days everything clicks, but I think Janowicz will probably go further.

I mean, look at it this way. There's 5 months between Dimitrov and Janowicz. Janowicz has:

- made 3R in the AO and Wimbledon
    - made a Master's final, even if it was with some luck
    - has 8 wins against top 10 players

Dimitrov has:

- never made it past 2R of a Grand Slam (despite entering more!)
    - best Master's result is a QF, which Janowicz matches even if you discard Janowicz' Paris run.
    - has 3 wins against top 10 players

And it gets even worse when you consider that Dimitrov, although he is 5 months younger than Janowicz, has been ATP-level just a little longer (he got some nice wildcards much earlier on. Janowicz reached ATP from Challengers the hard way). Unless Dimitrov pulls some serious, serious results over the next 5 months, he'll be behind where Janowicz was at this point in his career. Maybe he'll improve faster, but I doubt it because Janowicz has to improve his game, which is manageable. Dimitrov, as I mentioned, has to improve his head.
    Good point, Verdasco is another.

(Original post by Multitalented me)
    The thing about Tomic is his attitude tbh, in comparision to the other "youngsters" out there then talent wise he's definitely near the top & already made the 4R & QFs of GS by the age of 20, so his record is better than any of the other young guns out there, if he can just sort is head out he'd definitely be at least top 10 in the future.
    If he can sort his head out then he's in prime position to take the number 1 spot from Del Potro once the current big 4 have retired/died down.

ReputationRep:
    Berdych just is not competing at this stage, Rafa is all over him. I can see this match finishing quite comfortably in straight sets if he doesn't do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    Berdych's game plan is awful. It's all in his head, honestly. He has the exact Soderling-like game necessary to really trouble Nadal, it's just mental.

ReputationRep:
    That was quite a first set from Rafa. And it wasn't decided by Berdych's errors (he made 4 errors, Rafa made three). But I expect Berdych to get more comfortable in this second set. After yesterday, I'm not counting him out, it was all mental with Djokovic and look at what he pulled off yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Nadal has done it.

ReputationRep:
    8/8 finals for Nadal, lets see if he can make it 6/8 or not. This is Federers best chance to win Rome.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Federer vs Nadal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakas21)
    federer vs nadal! :d
    10/20 or 11/19 predictions......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    10/20 or 11/19 predictions......
    Wait for Federer's match first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Wait for Federer's match first!
    Any idea when Federer's match starts? I might watch a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty.B)
    Any idea when Federer's match starts? I might watch a bit.
    7pm BST iirc

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.