Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty.B)
    Any idea when Federer's match starts? I might watch a bit.
    Should start just after 7pm assuming no delays.

Rafa was very good today, so if he keeps it up tomorrow I can see him lifting the title anyway. Federer has to be at his absolute best physically and especially mentally to get through these final 2 matches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    7pm BST iirc
    Thanks ...so in about an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Should start just after 7pm assuming no delays.

Rafa was very good today, so if he keeps it up tomorrow I can see him lifting the title anyway. Federer has to be at his absolute best physically and especially mentally to get through these final 2 matches
    Rafa was really good, said the first set was one of the best he has played this year. I have caught up with Federer's matches this week through highlights, definitely the best I've seen him play in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Rafa was actually pretty decent in that match against Berdych. I mean, it helped that Berdych temporarily transforms into a one-legged duck whilst playing Nadal, but Rafa was nicely aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    Paire giving Federer a nice match. Very enjoyable tennis, lots of interesting shots. Certainly entertaining.

EDIT: I've really enjoyed the dropshot focus lots of the players troubling the Big 4 have had. Gulbis, Paire, Janowicz - all have used really clever dropshots to puzzle people. Been great.

EDIT: Well it was entertaining until that tiebreak. Dear god, that was Challengers level stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Tougher match than most people expected. Paire had more winners than Roger in that 1st set. Federer's stats were 11 winners, 16 UE, the first time this week that UEs were higher than winners. Nevertheless, he's a break up in the second. Come on Roger - keep going!

ReputationRep:
    The quality of this match has really plummeted. :/ It started so good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    The quality of this match has really plummeted. :/ It started so good.
    That can't be helped unfortunately. Neither of them are playing their best really at the moment.

What happened in the tie-break by the way? I missed it - anything special?

ReputationRep:
    It's over. It will be FEDERER vs NADAL tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Is this Fed's first final of the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    Yes. Hard to imagine actually. Could this be the point at which he turns his year around (like in Madrid 2009)?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Hard to imagine actually. Could this be the point at which he turns his year around (like in Madrid 2009)?
    perphaps and this is Federers best chance to win ROME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    perphaps and this is Federers best chance to win ROME
    Yes. But he needs to play better than today and for Rafa to play a little worse than today. I really hope he does it - he can silence his critics for a little longer!

ReputationRep:
    Some were talking about the next generation, thoughts on Benoit Paire? He can be a decent player, his backhand is good, big serve, he is quite good at the net also (plays a lot of doubles with Wawrinka).

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But he needs to play better than today and for Rafa to play a little worse than today. I really hope he does it - he can silence his critics for a little longer!
    Nadals going for his 20th Mandatory masters 1000 title and 24th overall.Also the last year Nadal lost 3 matches on clay was 2004 were nadal was a rookie so the statistics obviously favor rafa anyway but if Federer can play sublime tennis like he did in his first 2 matches he has a good chance 2maro.

ReputationRep:
    Berdych's game plan is awful. It's all in his head, honestly. He has the exact Soderling-like game necessary to really trouble Nadal, it's just mental.
    Speaking about Soderling, is he ever coming back? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty.B)
    Some were talking about the next generation, thoughts on Benoit Paire? He can be a decent player, his backhand is good, big serve, he is quite good at the net also (plays a lot of doubles with Wawrinka).
    He's definitely not next generation. Dude's 24!

ReputationRep:
    He's definitely not next generation. Dude's 24!
    LOL, He's like a week into that age..and that's one/two years above some of the players that were mentioned a few posts back!! Seems to be in that generation to me...

ReputationRep:
    Two great matches tomorrow to watch:

• Federer vs Nadal

• Williams vs Azarenka

I really hope Serena and Roger can come through and win the title.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.