The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That draw... how much money did Federer pay? Djokovic must have been a cheap-skate.
Djokovic's path to the final:

Goffin
Dodig
Dimitrov
Dolgopolov
Haas
Nadal
(final)

Federer's path to the final:

Qualifier
Qualifier
Benneteau
Simon
Tsonga
Ferrer
(final)

I mean, wut?
Original post by TopHat

Goffin
Dodig
Dimitrov
Dolgopolov
Haas
Nadal
(final)

Qualifier
Qualifier
Benneteau
Simon
Tsonga
Ferrer
(final)

I mean, wut?

LOL - well, don't think Federer (or I) will be arguing with that - they clearly love him in France and want to see him in the final.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm just saying, if you're going to fix draws at least fix them subtly. No wonder the sly devil has 17 Grand Slams.
Original post by TopHat
Yeah, I'm talking about earlier in his career.

That's what I'm saying. Because Fed-Murray a) wasn't as popular as Fed-Djoko, and b) Murray was more likely to beat Federer than Djokovic (which back then was true), slam draws conveniently never paired them.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree. If you watch both the US 2008 and AO 2010, Murray just looks like a rabbit in headlights for the entirety of both matches. Outside of slams, Murray's record against Fed is what, 11-5? (that's off the top of my head, may be slightly off). That's a pretty clear and decisive margin (I mean, it's pigeon-level), especially when some of those 5 will have been from the clay Masters. Personally, I think a large factor behind both of those finals was the "oh**** im in a slam final wtfwtfwtf" element which plagued Murray until, well, really recently actually. If back in the period 2008-2010 Federer and Murray had met in the semis of either the US Open or the Australian, rather than the final, I'm willing to bet Murray's H2H would be rather better than it is. I mean, obviously we can only speculate, but I can't think of many other plausible explanations why someone would have such a clear lead over another player that suddenly disappears at crunch time.

Yh, agree with most of what you say, but if you watch the 2008 US Open Final again, it's obvious that he was clearly outplayed in that particular match (Federer was the more dominant payer) - not sure how big nerves were a factor for Murray, given that he beat Nadal in the SFs.

Statistics wise, I think the H2H outside Slams is 10 - 6. Within this, Federer leads 3-0 at the WTF in London and 3-1 overall at Year End Masters Championships, Murray leads 6-1 in Masters events and 1-0 in Olympics matches, and leads 3-2 in other matches/events
Original post by Krish4791
Yh, agree with most of what you say, but if you watch the 2008 US Open Final again, it's obvious that he was clearly outplayed in that particular match (Federer was the more dominant payer) - not sure how big nerves were a factor for Murray, given that he beat Nadal in the SFs.

Statistics wise, I think the H2H outside Slams is 10 - 6. Within this, Federer leads 3-0 at the WTF in London and 3-1 overall at Year End Masters Championships, Murray leads 6-1 in Masters events and 1-0 in Olympics matches, and leads 3-2 in other matches/events

Yeah, so the correlation here is that Murray probably actually has a great match-up against Federer which is nullified by the fact Murray can't handle pressure very well - which is why the Murray/Nadal draw fix that meant Murray never faced Federer until the final is such a ****ty thing to have happened. In an alternative world where Murray drew Federer more often in the semis and made more finals, he'd probably have broken his duck rather sooner than he did.
Original post by Roger1
Surprisingly Djoko-Nadal are in the same half with Roger being with Ferrer. If Djoko somehow defeats Nadal, which he is very capable of and if we get Roger-Nole final and Roger turns on God Mode for just one match, he can defeat him. When Federer plays his best, he can still beat anyone expect perhaps Nadal on clay.

why is it a surprise? there was always a 50% chance of it happening
Original post by TopHat

Goffin
Dodig
Dimitrov
Dolgopolov
Haas
Nadal
(final)

Qualifier
Qualifier
Benneteau
Simon
Tsonga
Ferrer
(final)

I mean, wut?

I'd bet on berdych to beat ferrer, and if that happens, he should meet federer in the semis
Original post by Jack93o
I'd bet on berdych to beat ferrer, and if that happens, he should meet federer in the semis

Really? I think it would be the other way round - Ferrer owns Berdych (see H2H) and can certainly outlast Berdych in best of 5 sets on clay. Not to mention that Berdych has drawn Monfils in the 1st round and has a much trickier route to the QFs
I agree with Krish. Ferrer manhandles Berdych regularly.
Interesting to know that Nadal could play Rosol in the 3rd round :holmes:
Original post by TopHat
Yeah, so the correlation here is that Murray probably actually has a great match-up against Federer which is nullified by the fact Murray can't handle pressure very well - which is why the Murray/Nadal draw fix that meant Murray never faced Federer until the final is such a ****ty thing to have happened. In an alternative world where Murray drew Federer more often in the semis and made more finals, he'd probably have broken his duck rather sooner than he did.

I'd say that all Murray's victories bar the Olympics have come from 1 surface though, outdoor hards so i'm still not sure whether meeting in a SF at the FO or Wimbledon would have done much good.
Original post by TopHat

Goffin
Dodig
Dimitrov
Dolgopolov
Haas
Nadal
(final)

Qualifier
Qualifier
Benneteau
Simon
Tsonga
Ferrer
(final)

I mean, wut?

Bennetau is a dangerous one always for Federer. And a pumped up patriotic Tsonga could also pull off an upset.

Where is Berdych in all of this?
Nadal-Djokovic Semi who'd have thought that would have happened. I just have a feeling the draw is completely opened up for a outsider, and of course Fed will be pleased.
Reply 1894
Original post by TopHat

What about another great match-up murray against Nadal?
Reply 1895
Original post by Multitalented me
Interesting to know that Nadal could play Rosol in the 3rd round :holmes:

Now i really hope Mr Rosol makes it to the third round :smile::smile::wink:
Reply 1896
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
Bennetau is a dangerous one always for Federer. And a pumped up patriotic Tsonga could also pull off an upset.

Where is Berdych in all of this?

Bennetau has only troubled Roger on indoor hards, so I am not sure if he even makes it to the 3rd round to make him. Tsonga is way too eractic, so you never know with him.

And Berdych has Ferrer as a potential QF with a possible semi with Roger. But first he needs to get through his tricky 1st round match with Monfils.
Original post by Roger1
Bennetau has only troubled Roger on indoor hards, so I am not sure if he even makes it to the 3rd round to make him. Tsonga is way too eractic, so you never know with him.

And Berdych has Ferrer as a potential QF with a possible semi with Roger. But first he needs to get through his tricky 1st round match with Monfils.

Yeah, and it's probs 70-30 in favour of Ferrer if the two happen to face off in the QFs
Reply 1898
Original post by hskjlclcn
Nadal-Djokovic Semi who'd have thought that would have happened. I just have a feeling the draw is completely opened up for a outsider, and of course Fed will be pleased.

I always had a feeling it was going to happen and my prediction is Fedal Final and i really hope Fed plays the way he did in 2011 3rd set against nadal and they way he played against novak in the semis.
Reply 1899
Just had a look at the draw. Safe to say Tomas Berdych has the 'trickiest' path, Monfils R1, followed by maybe Gulbis in R2...good luck to him. But draws open up, so you never know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest