Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana.p)
    I work 40hrs a week and will start my first 60 credit module in October 13. Then in Feb my 30 credit will be added whilst doing my previous one. Do you think that is too much as a starters???
    That's almost what I started out with, except my first 60 points was made up of 2 x 30 pointers. I've only done one 60 point module and I really don't feel like it was the same amount of effort that would be required for 2 x 30 points, more like 1.5x I guess.

For some people it would certainly be too much, for others it would be absolutely fine. I found it pretty easy, but the subject matter was all pretty familiar to me as a lot of the level 1 computing stuff is pretty basic and was covered in my A-Level. If you start the 60 pointer and think you don't want to take any more on then it's easy enough to postpone the second module before it starts in Feb!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    That's almost what I started out with, except my first 60 points was made up of 2 x 30 pointers. I've only done one 60 point module and I really don't feel like it was the same amount of effort that would be required for 2 x 30 points, more like 1.5x I guess.

For some people it would certainly be too much, for others it would be absolutely fine. I found it pretty easy, but the subject matter was all pretty familiar to me as a lot of the level 1 computing stuff is pretty basic and was covered in my A-Level. If you start the 60 pointer and think you don't want to take any more on then it's easy enough to postpone the second module before it starts in Feb!
    Thanks for your input, I didn't know you could postpone the second module if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana.p)
    Thanks for your input, I didn't know you could postpone the second module if needs be.
    Well, I'm not 100% sure how it works now (I'm an old student on the transitional pathways) but I can't see it being an issue. So at least you have a couple of months to see how it goes. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana.p)
    I work 40hrs a week and will start my first 60 credit module in October 13. Then in Feb my 30 credit will be added whilst doing my previous one. Do you think that is too much as a starters???
    I do think it is doable. I completed 90 credits this year while in full-time college and I was volunteering. Its a challenge, but the key word is organisation. As long as you keep up to date and are organised in your study and writing assignments, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy2206)
    Hi guys!

Just a quick question! I'm considering starting a OU course in September, and i know that a degree will take me 3-4 years full time and 6 part-time.

Does anyone here study full time and work full time also? Is it absolutely impossible? I would like to know, as i have been offered a full time position where i am currently working part-time and was wondering if i could juggle both without running myself into the floor

Thanks
    A x
    It depends how disciplined you are with regards to studying really.

I believe the OU say that you should study for 6 hours per 30 credit course which means that, if you do it full time, you're recommended to study for 24 hours per week.

So, if you can manage working full time, and studying for 24 hours per week then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I am going to be going to university part time, doing 75% rate of a full time course. I'm expected to study around 24 hours per week. I decided to work just part time, and uni part time, so I can spend more time studying to get higher grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana.p)
    I don't think it's too much at all, but that depends on how organised you are and your motivation. As long as you organise yourself in some way and are motivated to complete the modules you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    For those who have done full time OU, have you found it easier to complete the weekly work for each module one at a time or do you do you mix it up throughout the week?

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that this was posted because I've registered to study BSc (Health Sciences) and I work full-time Nights! I believe it will be manageable but will need a lot of hard work!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.