Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I feel tired & stressed all the time... Watch

So I'm a 15 yr old female currently studying my GCSE's and am in year 11, so my final exams are less than 2 months away and I'm scared ****less because I don't feel like I'm being productive enough.

I'm really behind on all my coursework and my exam results for my real modular exams haven't been great, since I've so far got all high B's and one A which really isn't good enough since I have a minimum target grade of A* in all subjects... this is all due to my lack of revision and not paying attention in lessons.

...and so here's my biggest problem: my lack of revision is all due to my constant tiredness! I feel so lazy and tired all the time, my parents have gotten me tution in science,maths and english but it's still not helping as I'm simply not going over what I'm learning and I'm feeling so incredibly stressed all the time, as It's like my education is constantly at the back of my mind no matter what I do but at the end of the day I still end up wasting my time.

To be very honest I'm a pretty social person and realising this is part of the problem, I have cut that all out of my life as I'm not on any social networking sites whatsoever and have limited my outings however I feel little or no progress and although I do seem to be improving it's simply just not enough if I want to achieve my A's & A*'s whcih are a must since
    my parents have really high expectations and I just can't let them down... please help!!

- lot's of love,
    EXTREMELY STRESSED.

p.s sorry for how long this is, I kind of just joined tsr today and still aren't very familar to how it works, just hoping it's length won't put you off

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12 now so went through this last year. I felt really tired and stressed as well as I'm sure everyone of our age felt/feel. I'm sure there is a scientific reason why teenagers tend to be tired all the time, something to do with the development of the brain.
    Anyway, you have to make sure that you get to bed early! I know this sounds really difficult but you have to get to bed for about 9 on some nights of the week and you will honestly feel so much better about it. Just leave your laptop or whatever else may distract you somewhere else and really try and concentrate on sleeping.
    That should make you feel a bit better and more ready to revise. I also wouldn't worry too much about revision and you should have study leave as well (?) so if you really get your head down during study leave you will feel better. I think you will find that getting closer to the exams, the pressure of how soon they will be will kick in and you will just get some work done.
    As for your parents, if they see that you are putting in the effort by going to bed early and cutting out some social events then they will happy with you. If you have done all of this and still feel you are getting no where in a month's time then why don't you just have a conversation with them and let them know your expectations of yourself and make sure they are OK with them.
    Really hope this helped, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12 too and went through exactly the same last year in GCSE's. I swear the more you have to do the less motivation you have to do it - I'm still the same now!

The reason you might be feeling tired is stress in general. I know it's hard when there is so much to do to not panic but stress will be a main reason for feeling tired and the worst thing is that once you are stressed, you feel more stressed for being stressed!

Just take some time out of studying.. find a group of mates one weekend and just have a laugh and take your mind off of everything for one night or just have a friday night and dedicate it to yourself. I find that taking one or two nights off of school a week and just doing nothing but relaxing or spending it with friends really helps and you get back into school-mode with more motivation to do well. Your body/brain aren't made to be focused on one specific thing for a long period of time. And you are still young too! That doesn't mean you should completely stop your revision or whatever but it's healthy having a brain break once in a while and stimulating your brain with something other than boring revision!

I hope this helps and I hope you do well in your exams. It gets easier, I promise!

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs were a breeze but I'm having this problem in year 13 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und3niable_)
    GCSEs were a breeze but I'm having this problem in year 13 now.
    Same here... to hell with IB >.<

ReputationRep:
    It's a good start having realized what your problem is. You can plan a schedule of what to do (include time to relax and just watch telly, bedtime, times to study specific subjects, etc.) Go to bed early, so your body gets enough time to rest. Look for healthy foods that help give energy and cope with stress. Check this TSR article and this one. I believe there are also special breathing techniques to deal with stress and pressure. You can also put important dates in a calendar so you can prepare ahead of time.

Most important thing: Believe in yourself! If you work hard enough and do everything you can to improve, there's no need to worry about anything.

Hope I helped. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itank28)
    Same here... to hell with IB >.<
    Wow and there's me thinking A-Level was hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und3niable_)
    Wow and there's me thinking A-Level was hard
    well, I'm sure that A-levels can get really difficult too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itank28)
    well, I'm sure that A-levels can get really difficult too!
    Hmm, just alot of content tbh.

thank you everyone! your advice has really helped :-) I'm definitely going to ensure I sleep earlier now and am going to make sure I take breaks when I need them. I know a levels are so much harder, and to be very honest GCSE's are really easy. I just feel all this pressure because of huge amount of coursework I previously avoided that has stacked up and the fact that I really want a's & a*'s!
    but it should all be good, you guys are amazing! thanks again!

-threadposter. aka. extremely stressed

(Original post by ADBwriter)
    It's a good start having realized what your problem is. You can plan a schedule of what to do (include time to relax and just watch telly, bedtime, times to study specific subjects, etc.) Go to bed early, so your body gets enough time to rest. Look for healthy foods that help give energy and cope with stress. Check this TSR article and this one. I believe there are also special breathing techniques to deal with stress and pressure. You can also put important dates in a calendar so you can prepare ahead of time.

Most important thing: Believe in yourself! If you work hard enough and do everything you can to improve, there's no need to worry about anything.

Hope I helped. Good Luck.
    This advice & those posts were a great help! weetabix here I come! lol
    thank you so much!!:heart:
    -thread poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This advice & those posts were a great help! weetabix here I come! lol
    thank you so much!!:heart:
    -thread poster
    It's nice to read you're better. Keep it up! You can do it... :thumbsup:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.