Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

InterRailing with Anxiety and Depression Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I was meant to be going interrailing starting in Germany for 22 days with my two best female friends from my first year of uni, and two of our other close male friends. I have been back and forth over whether I should go or not, as I have depression and an anxiety disorder which means anything can make me shut down, and travelling usually stresses me out so much that I have had panic attacks on the London Underground and 7 hour long cross country journeys, but that is only when I am alone. On the flipside of this however depression means I sometimes just cannot face people, it's like I forget how to talk and I am sat in my own head controlling my body like a robot. I am on anti-depressants and am seeing a therapist at University.
    I have actually said this week that I definitely can't go as I had a major freak out a few nights back after one of the guys said he had invited some randomer none but him knew, and I really really don't do well with new people so spending a month with a strange male made me panic and panic and then decide not to go. Minus one girl they are all also quite disorganised, for example the two guys went to London by bus and they both accidentally booked their bus ticket back for a month too late, and neither of them realised until they were queueing for the said bus!!
    But, anyway.
    The problem is also kind of money, I could really do with working instead, and I would have to ask both my parents for money, but even then I don't know if I could scrape together enough. I have already booked my flight to Germany (60 pounds) but they could probably find someone else to go with them.
    I was so excited to begin with, but then everything kept changing like going for the 10 travel days in 22 instead of the 5 travel days in 10 ticket, and now we're making a detour to see our friend in Croatia, and as control is one of my big issues I just felt like I was being suffocated.
    I'm sorry this is so long, but do you think I should go?? Any advice would help!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm thinking of going interailing this year too!! If you have depression then this will get you out of it.

Sounds a bit of a pain with your disorganised friends tho. What you should do is meet up with the new person before hands so they won't be a stranger then you might feel less anxious. They might be nice you never know.

Also, why don't you suggest helping to organise things and book things if you like to be more in control.

You could also say that you might only be able to go for half of it. That way you always have the option of getting on a plane back home at any time without feeling trapped.

People you meet travelling are usually really nice, young professionals and students and not idiots you might meet in Ibiza! Except for the Australians.... maybe...

Anyway. Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Hello! I'm thinking of going interailing this year too!! If you have depression then this will get you out of it.

Sounds a bit of a pain with your disorganised friends tho. What you should do is meet up with the new person before hands so they won't be a stranger then you might feel less anxious. They might be nice you never know.

Also, why don't you suggest helping to organise things and book things if you like to be more in control.

You could also say that you might only be able to go for half of it. That way you always have the option of getting on a plane back home at any time without feeling trapped.

People you meet travelling are usually really nice, young professionals and students and not idiots you might meet in Ibiza! Except for the Australians.... maybe...

Anyway. Have fun.
    I have no idea who neg rep'd you, and I don't know why either :/
    Thanks for your advice! I don't think this new guy is going, but its just an example of how spontaneous they are, and I wouldn't put it past some of them to invite people like a week before! I don't know.
    I suggested doing half of it, but the other organised person pointed out how they won't know which country they are in etc., as they might decide to stay longer and stuff. I'm still in two minds.

ReputationRep:
    bumpedy bump

ReputationRep:
    In your current state I would think it's very unwise to go. It does depend on how aware your friends are of your anxiety and depression issues, and how aware you want them to be - if you continue as you are then they will find out at some point. If they're perfectly cool about it then that would help.

What I think is most important, though, is how far away it is and how much you think you can recover. If it's several months away and you're making good improvement now then it seems sensible to plan in advance for when you're likely to be better. If you're not currently improving and are on treatment, and not improving when you should be, then it's unwise. If you haven't tried treatment, you should, and should probably delay the decision a bit longer.

I think those are the main issues. You shouldn't do it at the moment, but if you're likely to improve then it could be a lovely thing to do. And seek treatment if you haven't, and it does depend on whether other people know about the problems and how OK you are with them knowing.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.