The Student Room Group

Level 3 BTECs — how's the workload?

Hello, I'm due to begin BTEC Level 3 ICT (the one that's equivalent to 1 A level) in September. And since I've never done a BTEC before, I have some questions. Can anybody tell me what the workload may be like? Is most work done in-class or as homework? Will I probably have to do lots of long essays?

And, most importantly, will I have enough time left over to focus on my A-levels which I'll be studying for alongside it? ...I've heard that BTECs can be very time-consuming. :/

Oh, and also, will my tutors be allowed to help me or answer any questions I may have while I'm doing an assignment? ...or is it all supposed to be completed under strict controlled conditions?

Sorry for all the questions lol! Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Level 3 BTECs are equivalent to 3 A-levels, not 1.

You will have time to study for A-levels. I don't do ANY work at home and I'm working at the equivalent of BBB at A-level (and only because I haven't finished all the units yet, I have 3 more to do & I have a few more I can bump the grades on easily).

I do this exact course (the Extended Diploma one though, it has 18 units) and it's not particularly difficult, just some parts are.... tedious. It honestly depends on the units you study though. There are loads of units your college can pick from.

Your tutors are allowed to discuss the work, yes, but they shouldn't really be doing it for you, not at A-level. You can resubmit (theoretically) as many times as you like for it to be marked but your college will probably say a maximum of 3.
Reply 2
Work hard enough you will do fine, time consuming most definately on BTEC Sciences. For Extended diploma in a science (3 a-level equiv) there are around 4 assignments each unit on average and about 18-20 units averaging 2000-3000 words an assignment, over two years so allot of work.

It is largely based on home produced (again may change frim subject to subject) work mind but arguably rewarding.

It will vary on subjects mind and as its a single alevel equiv, imagine the same but in a third If that helps.
Reply 3
Forgot to add tutors can help you throughout as long as they are kind haha.
You'll have time to do work for A-Levels :smile:!
I do an BTEC Extended Diploma which is equivalent to 3 A-Levels :smile: and well one of my tutors is basically piling a lot of work on us even though we have two other tutor and their work to complete as well, which is a pain :frown:! But we seem to try and get our work done on time. But as the BTEC you're gonna do, I don't think you'll get as much work.
My class always get work set as homework.
You do get help from your tutor.
Reply 5
It's so easy to do Btec IT lol
I just went in for 2 years when ever I wanted, just sat there watching funny youtube vids and browsing the web, and still got a Distinction and Distinction *
Reply 6
I do the BTEC ICT Subsidiary diploma, which is what I assume you do too, given that it's equivalent to one A-level. The workload is nothing to stress about at all, if you bother to work in lesson time, and ignore any unnecessary work outside of what is specifically required, then you could get it done with little to no work outside of lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I did a BTEC ICT lv3 course 2 years ago and well personally for me I loved it compared to secondary school. the workload wasn't that much but it was tedious. It was less essays and more reports which were usually very long (average 6 pages) but I still had plenty of time to do other things and not feel too pressured so I took it along side studying for my GCSE resits (the originals were really bad) so that I could get into a decent university (which I have done). My lecturers were really helpful with regards to coursework and did encourage me to study something I would enjoy later in life.

I can only share with you my experience but looking back I consider myself very lucky. I was surround my good friends in class (It was relatively small, only about 13 of us) and teachers and so I did actually enjoyed doing my assignments funny as that may sound when back at secondary school I didn't care at all about work, hence the resits, and uni was just a distant dream.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sheun
I did a BTEC ICT lv3 course 2 years ago and well personally for me I loved it compared to secondary school. the workload wasn't that much but it was tedious. It was less essays and more reports which were usually very long (average 6 pages) but I still had plenty of time to do other things and not feel too pressured so I took it along side studying for my GCSE resits (the originals were really bad) so that I could get into a decent university (which I have done). My lecturers were really helpful with regards to coursework and did encourage me to study something I would enjoy later in life.

I can only share with you my experience but looking back I consider myself very lucky. I was surround my good friends in class (It was relatively small, only about 13 of us) and teachers and so I did actually enjoyed doing my assignments funny as that may sound when back at secondary school I didn't care at all about work, hence the resits, and uni was just a distant dream.

You're lucky you don't get pressured! My Health and Social Care class is under pressure by the amount of work we're getting. Plus one of the EV's is coming in next term and wants to see one of the units so now I'm one of the people that the EV wants to see work from and I have to do my upgrade for that unit tomorrow so it's more pressure :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending