Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a place for an MSc in Strategic Marketing.

First, I was wondering how good is the Business School(I also hold offers for an MSc in Management&Marketing in Lancaster and an MLitt in Marketing in St. Andrews).

Second, I was wondering if Durham Uni is know outside the UK, particularly USA, and if so does it have a good reputation?Because the feeling I get from the forums is that only a few unis are known in USA(Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews).

Thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lora_Di)
    I have been offered a place for an MSc in Strategic Marketing.

First, I was wondering how good is the Business School(I also hold offers for an MSc in Management&Marketing in Lancaster and an MLitt in Marketing in St. Andrews).

Second, I was wondering if Durham Uni is know outside the UK, particularly USA, and if so does it have a good reputation?Because the feeling I get from the forums is that only a few unis are known in USA(Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews).

Thnx
    Broadly speaking I'd say its postgrad courses and the department is at a comparable level to Lancaster and as good, if not better, than St Andrews. However, you'll probably getter a more accurate comparison in the Postgraduate forum (Business postgrad programmes subforum specifically).

As for Durham's reputation abroad, it is a medium size university. It is not a large, research monster located in a major city so its name among the public in particular, as well as academics in some disciplines, will be lacking.

However, if you look at employer reviews you'll find Durham tend to perform fairly well (take the QS employer review where it is often top 20 or so in the world - though there can be more than 20 or so universities in that top 20 or so! ) and one French ranking the name of which I always forget but does rank universities according to the number of current or previous CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. In this Durham was ranked as high as the entire University of London (so take LSE, UCL and the like as individual universities, Durham ranks higher).

The methodology used in these rankings can be questioned, and they may be Anglo-American biased. They still don't give any clear indication of how well known Durham is among employers in the US, I admit. However, just be careful not to assume that just because a university isn't well known among the public, employers won't know of it or will be biased against it.

I really don't any employer in the US will show much favour toward any of the three, to be perfectly honest, beyond any individual bias at least. However, I've never worked in the US and no one on the site will be able to give a comprehensive, accurate overview of how major American employers, across a wide range of sectors, perceive UK universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hi River

thank you for taking the time to provide me with such a detailed answer.
    I will take your advice and add this thread to the other forum and see if I can get a dialogue going there.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.