Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Get in Shape At Home? Help Please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm 16, and I'm a skinny person because I have a high metabolism. The problem is that I have like no muscles. I start college in september and I really want to be more muscular before then, Any advice on how to achieve this at home? I go cycling every other day, and at the weekend up to 20Km.
    NOTE: Other ideas than "join the gym" because there are no good gyms in my area, they are either too expensive, or have nothing. Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I have freeweights from Argos which were £49.99 for 50kg and you can buy additional weights when you get past that amount. I know this is expense, but it's a good investment as it's the same as two month's gym membership but you can use them whenever you like.

If you don't want to do that, then bodyweight exercises are your best bet. Things like pushups, crunches, pullups (you can buy pull-up bars relatively cheaply) would help.

Of course, you have to sort your diet out. Most people who say they have a "high metabolism" simply don't eat enough. Spend some time looking at how you can add more calories to your diet- because you have to have this surplus to build any kind of significant muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Watch videos online of workouts and if you don't have the weights, use a bag of sugar or something similar!
    Sit-ups, crunches. Both done without equipment!

Good luck

Also, watch out for that cardio (cycling) because that'll be increasing your metabolism and making you skinnier (unless you want that).

ReputationRep:
    Buy a set of York dumbells. If you do some bicep curls and tricep kickbacks you'll get results. Gradually increase the weight over time, and when you've reached the max weight just increase repetitions. I've been using dumbells for two years now and do about 20-30 reps with around 10 sets. The result will not make you 'big', but you'll gain lean muscle and get that toned vascular look. Combine this with pushups and ab crunches. Most importantly, make sure you feel a lot of pain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Thanks For The Help! I do eat quite a bit, I'm just sorting out what I eat at the moment.
    It might help to use a diet and exercise tracker such as MyFitnessPal.com to record your progress .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    It might help to use a diet and exercise tracker such as MyFitnessPal.com to record your progress .
    I'll get looking then! Cheers for the help, I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Right, I'm 16, and I'm a skinny person because I have a high metabolism. The problem is that I have like no muscles. I start college in september and I really want to be more muscular before then, Any advice on how to achieve this at home? I go cycling every other day, and at the weekend up to 20Km.
    NOTE: Other ideas than "join the gym" because there are no good gyms in my area, they are either too expensive, or have nothing. Any help is appreciated
    Incorporate pullups into your workout. They are difficult to get wrong and don't cost anything.
    You often don't need a bar, at the moment i use the back of some stairs - but most houses have a ledge somewhere that you can use.

Press ups are another free and easy thing to add into a workout.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as you - only weigh 9 and a half stone, and I'm nearly 18. I'm now trying to eat even more (even though I eat loads anyway) and currently do an obscene amount of sit ups and press ups. Squats can be quite good too, along with basic bicep curls

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.