Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Losing weight before University Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently my BMI is 30.33
    I am 5ft3 and 171lb

I really want to have a BMI close to 20 when I go to University

Right now I'm eating 1600 calories a day, doing 45 minute workouts on Just Dance (Burns around 300 cals).

I don't have a lot of time around studying as I have 5 A2 exams in June. I can probably make an hour a day for exercising.

Any tips, comments or advice would be great
    Also, I start Uni in late September, can I get to a reasonable weight?

ReputationRep:
    Don't use BMI as it's essentially meaningless. Just consciously consume less and move more and just see how you feel. The best way to lose weight is to make it a lifestyle change and not a diet and to do it slowly.

Also, everyone has time for exercising as no one should be studying constantly no matter how many exams they have

ReputationRep:
    Work out your TDEE (total daily expenditure) I.E how many calories your body is using each day. Take away 500 calories from your TDEE and you'll be losing around a 1lb a week. What your doing at the moment is fine, stay away from crash dieiting and find some sort of exercise you enjoy doing (exercise isn't necessary you could lose weight just by nutrition but there are many other benefits of exercise).

At a healthy 1lb a week weight loss you could lose around 20 lbs by September. So yes it's doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ionaboner)
    Currently my BMI is 30.33
    I am 5ft3 and 171lb

I really want to have a BMI close to 20 when I go to University

Right now I'm eating 1600 calories a day, doing 45 minute workouts on Just Dance (Burns around 300 cals).

I don't have a lot of time around studying as I have 5 A2 exams in June. I can probably make an hour a day for exercising.

Any tips, comments or advice would be great
    Also, I start Uni in late September, can I get to a reasonable weight?
    You're doing all the right things, eating a calorie deficit and exercising. As an above poster said, it's really good to make time for exercise despite being busy with studying. It will actually make you more effective if you focus your mind and energy on something physical on a regular basis.
    You've started your weightloss nice and early to allow yourself to do it in a healthy way.

What does a typical day of food and drink look like for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    You're doing all the right things, eating a calorie deficit and exercising. As an above poster said, it's really good to make time for exercise despite being busy with studying. It will actually make you more effective if you focus your mind and energy on something physical on a regular basis.
    You've started your weightloss nice and early to allow yourself to do it in a healthy way.

What does a typical day of food and drink look like for you?
    Name:  g.PNG
Views: 789
Size:  12.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Wii fit is quite good with losing weight

Keep doing what you're doing, maybe sure your diet is full of the good stuff though, and make exercise regular, especially if you don't have a good metabolism

Posted from TSR Mobile e

ReputationRep:
    It's doable but don't try and lose too much too fast, I once went from a bmi of 22 to 16 in 4 months (Which wasn't healthy at all!) I'm currently trying to gain to a bmi of 19/20 for university so I feel more healthy and can look after myself better! I don't recommend counting calories at all, you can get way obsessed with it and start depriving yourself of things because you think they are to high in fat or whatever when it could be something with really healthy fats like nuts or nut butter.
    But if you do want to lose weight healthily, I recommend cutting out liquid calories - get on the green tea hype if you can bare it that really sped up my metabolism.
    As for fitting in workouts, walk everywhere you can instead of hopping in the car/on the bus and run up the stairs instead of taking the escalator - little things like that add up and help :-)
    Oh and make sure you're having rest days, you'll get sick of it doing it every day and your muscles need time to repair. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ionaboner)
    Name:  g.PNG
Views: 789
Size:  12.4 KB
    I see you're eating bread-based meals and snacks a lot of the time, and a fair amount of pre-packaged, semi-processed foods.
    I think it will help you to feel better and have more energy if you based your meals around vegetables and lean proteins with more whole grains, and made more stuff from scratch. From that diet I think you're probably missing out on a lot of vitamins and minerals.

Breakfast could be porridge with some apple and berry compote and a glass of milk, or a poached egg on rye bread.

Lunch could be a chicken salad (include leafy greens like broccoli and spinach) made with chicken breast that you've grilled yourself, or a couple of homebaked chicken drumsticks (really cheap! - try rubbing them with harissa paste before baking!) or a tuna salad.

Dinner should be based around proteins and veg again. Roast chicken (use the leftovers for lunch), salmon (again leftovers), sardines, curry, stews...the possibilities are endless!

You'll find that you can actually eat more (quantity-wise) this way because these types of foods are fewer calories per weight.
    Also, don't be afraid of fats. Your body needs healthy fats (like the ones in salmon or avocado) to function and generally any product that has a "low fat" version has tons of stuff added to it to make it not taste horrible after taking away the fat.

See the nutrition thread linked in my sig for more help.
    Dinner

ReputationRep:
    Agree about the fats, and I eat porridge every single morning - with either banana and peanut butter or raspberry compote and almonds whatever I can find really - so yummy and healthy. As long as you watch your sugars get plenty healthy fats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helenabee)
    Agree about the fats, and I eat porridge every single morning - with either banana and peanut butter or raspberry compote and almonds whatever I can find really - so yummy and healthy. As long as you watch your sugars get plenty healthy fats.
    OMG porridge with banana and peanut butter sounds amazing. Trying that next week!

ReputationRep:
    Rather than thinking of studying and exercising as conflicting activities, use one to complement the other! When I was studying for my finals it was great to spend an hour and a half studying followed by a half hour walk or maybe a session with music on my exercise bike, then I was ready to study again afterwards.

You can lose weight mostly by changing your diet and making sure that you stick in the limits that MFP gives you- they always worked for me. Any exercise is a bonus, really. I understand that perhaps you can't get into a brilliant exercise routine right now, but once you graduate and get a job you'll have even less time than you do now, so learning to build exercise into your life is very beneficial.

Make small changes such as take stairs instead of lifts, get off the bus a bit earlier etc. I found it was fun (possibly a bit weird but never mind) to set myself little rules, such as every time I got to the bottom of the stairs I had to do ten star jumps. Only a little, but enough to get the heart rate up a little bit.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.