Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Greek player Nazi salutes in a recent match Watch

ReputationRep:

His coach has announced that the player does not have an idea about politics and the player himself has announced that he detests fascism.

:lolwut:

The face on his team mate next to him says a lot about his thoughts...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...st_read_module

ReputationRep:
    Classy.

ReputationRep:
    Does he have a history or involvement with any facist groups? If not, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, footballers aren't really known for their intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    He's an idiot. Little else to say really.

It seems to have been a mistake.

(Original post by Steevee)
    Does he have a history or involvement with any facist groups? If not, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, footballers aren't really known for their intelligence.
    This, sadly.:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Idiot. He needs to go play in the traffic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    It seems to have been a mistake.

This, sadly.:sadnod:
    He should have at least tried to play it off as an ancient Greek salute.

If it was a mistake and he knows non of the connotations related to the action, then I wonder where he would have picked the salute up from :holmes:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

(Original post by Mess.)
    He should have at least tried to play it off as an ancient Greek salute.

If it was a mistake and he knows non of the connotations related to the action, then I wonder where he would have picked the salute up from :holmes:

He's said he was pointing to a team-mate in the stands, apparently:

Katidis denied he gave a Nazi salute. "I am not a fascist and would not have done it if I had known what it meant," Katidis said on his Twitter account.

The player said he was simply pointing at Michalis Pavlis in the stands to dedicate the goal to his team-mate as he continues to fight health problems. AEK's German coach, Ewald Lienen, backed Katidis.
    Also, he's been banned for life from playing for all Greek national teams.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...an-nazi-salute

I was thinking about this about an hour ago, I wonder what the crowd thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    He's said he was pointing to a team-mate in the stands, apparently:

Also, he's been banned for life from playing for all Greek national teams.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...an-nazi-salute
    I read that excuse and thought it was even worse :mmm:

The person is just an arrogant idiot who either thought he could get away with it or that he was outside the normal rules of decency.

I am glad he has been banned from the national team and I hope his club bans him as well.

ReputationRep:
    Figured he'll do such a thing considering he has 50 cent's debut album title tattooed on his body...

ReputationRep:
    If the player was supposed to be pointing at another teammate as Mess and Abiraleft say, why would he "point" with his whole hand on not just one of his fingers?

If he was pointing at his teammate, where was his teammate supposed to be? High up in the crowds? What a ridiculous excuse and one of the lamest I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)

His coach has announced that the player does not have an idea about politics and the player himself has announced that he detests fascism.

:lolwut:

The face on his team mate next to him says a lot about his thoughts...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...st_read_module
    He's been handed a lifetime ban now by the Greek FA.

ReputationRep:
    So people are happy for the likes of Gerrard, Terry, Keane, Barton, Cantona, Bowyer to be involved in international football after they've committed substantial physical attacks etc, but this guy must be banned for making some stupid hand salute at his own fans, who probably appreciated it?

See that all logic goes out the window and people start overreacting whenever there's a vague fascist element involved. This guy isn't rounding up Jews in Athens ffs. He's just some moron who probably thinks a nazi salute is just a laugh.

IMO his club should discipline him if they feel that he's brought the image of the club down, but the national team should just pick the best team. Who cares if this guy is a fascist, communist or none of the above?

ReputationRep:
    Wow lifetime ban. Di Canio only got a one game ban and is still allowed to manage here. Di Canio even admitted he was a fascist as well and a fan of Mussolini.

Actually thinking about it, how the **** has Di Canio got away with this? It's absolutely scandalous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose14)
    Wow lifetime ban. Di Canio only got a one game ban and is still allowed to manage here. Di Canio even admitted he was a fascist as well.
    What meaning does 'being a fascist' have? Is he marching on the streets or involved in street fights with communists? Not as far as I know.

Having a vague reverence for fascism, 99% of the time just meaning a strong sense of nationalism and love of the family, surely has absolutely nothing to do with a footballer's career. Football should be politically neutral. If players/fans choose to bring it into the game then that's a shame but the authorities have no legitimacy in deciding which beliefs are 'wrong'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    What meaning does 'being a fascist' have? Is he marching on the streets or involved in street fights with communists? Not as far as I know.

Having a vague reverence for fascism, 99% of the time just meaning a strong sense of nationalism and love of the family, surely has absolutely nothing to do with a footballer's career. Football should be politically neutral. If players/fans choose to bring it into the game then that's a shame but the authorities have no legitimacy in deciding which beliefs are 'wrong'.
    He's a Mussolini fan. A murderous dictator. If he thinks its acceptable to air that kind of view at a football match then he deserves significant punishment imo.

ReputationRep:
    It was an overreaction but this kind of punishment may be too extreme in my view, there have been many incidents in the past that various football associations have overlooked, in some cases, where bigger punishments were meant to be extracted but were not. Also yeah in 2005 Serie A match between Lazio and Livorno, Paolo Di Canio performed the Roman Salute in the direction of Lazio's extremist fans, the Irriducubili. A gesture that was originally associated with the fascist dictator Mussolini like you guys have mentioned. He intended it as am expressionof solidarity with the far-right attitudes of the Lazio fans, and as a provocative gesture toward the Livorno fans, known for their extreme left-wing political attitudes. Well, I don't remvwr any kind of extreme belligerent action taken against him by the Italian FA, rules and regulations have changed though now anyways but the greek's possibly have deciphered this one top far. Plus, he's been seized for expressing his political opinion, they surely cannot justify their move because of that.

Well, he certainly did Nazi that coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    It was an overreaction but this kind of punishment may be too extreme in my view, there have been many incidents in the past that various football associations have overlooked, in some cases, where bigger punishments were meant to be extracted but were not. Also yeah in 2005 Serie A match between Lazio and Livorno, Paolo Di Canio performed the Roman Salute in the direction of Lazio's extremist fans, the Irriducubili. A gesture that was originally associated with the fascist dictator Mussolini like you guys have mentioned. He intended it as am expressionof solidarity with the far-right attitudes of the Lazio fans, and as a provocative gesture toward the Livorno fans, known for their extreme left-wing political attitudes. Well, I don't remvwr any kind of extreme belligerent action taken against him by the Italian FA, rules and regulations have changed though now anyways but the greek's possibly have deciphered this one top far. Plus, he's been seized for expressing his political opinion, they surely cannot justify their move because of that.

Well, he certainly did Nazi that coming.
    Seems like another copy and paste :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Seems like another copy and paste :beard:

It was typed by me :facepalm: my view

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.