Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I live in a 3 bedroom shared student house, but this term one of the housemates' boyfriend has seemed to of moved in, he goes home at best one day a week. He has clothes,toothbrush,shaver,does washing here and eats here but he doesn't pay any rent/anything towards the bills. He is also not a student and me and my other housemate are getting tired of having to clean up after them and put up with him doing nothing all day.
    We have once before brought it up with the housemate but she just told us to get a life and that it was obviously not his main house. That was over a month ago and since then he has only been home 5 times.
    We are really stuck on what to do, we feel mean saying he cant stay round anymore but if he wants to stay he should pay up don't you think?
    We also thought it was illegal for non-students to stay in student houses is this true?
    Please help us shed some light on this problem

ReputationRep:
    Is it a university-owned flat? If so, get onto the accommodation office about that.

ReputationRep:
    If its private accommodation tell the landlord that there now are four people living there then he will have to pay also I would sort it becuase legally he has to pay council tax which he isn't
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Speak to the landlord about this.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheld27)
    I live in a 3 bedroom shared student house, but this term one of the housemates' boyfriend has seemed to of moved in, he goes home at best one day a week. He has clothes,toothbrush,shaver,does washing here and eats here but he doesn't pay any rent/anything towards the bills. He is also not a student and me and my other housemate are getting tired of having to clean up after them and put up with him doing nothing all day.
    We have once before brought it up with the housemate but she just told us to get a life and that it was obviously not his main house. That was over a month ago and since then he has only been home 5 times.
    We are really stuck on what to do, we feel mean saying he cant stay round anymore but if he wants to stay he should pay up don't you think?
    We also thought it was illegal for non-students to stay in student houses is this true?
    Please help us shed some light on this problem
    I've been in a similar situation, but he just agreed to pay towards bills. We didn't make him pay rent as we felt it was a bit unfair, we understood he still wanted his own room in his house in case they broke up and he couldn't afford to two lots of rent. Though he was also all our mate not just her boyfriend which made things easier.

Hmmm, not really illegal. He should be paying council tax, but he'll be doing that at his own house so I don't think it'd be a massive issue unless your house is in a significantly higher council tax band than his.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to **** off. Or ring me and i'll get me and the boys round to forcibly remove him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkshire.lad)
    Tell him to **** off. Or ring me and i'll get me and the boys round to forcibly remove him.
    This is the best advice you'll ever get OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    This is the best advice you'll ever get OP
    Yeah either that, or he starts chipping in. I know for a fact if when I hopefully get into uni and get a house 2nd year, and someones boyfriend wasn't paying rent I would tell him where to go, or give him a roundhouse kick across the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkshire.lad)
    Yeah either that, or he starts chipping in. I know for a fact if when I hopefully get into uni and get a house 2nd year, and someones boyfriend wasn't paying rent I would tell him where to go, or give him a roundhouse kick across the face.

Haha thankyou guys, we have now taken this to the landlord and hope something is sorted sooner rather than later

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.