Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    For those of you that did the Population unit, what case study did you use for the 8 mark question? I wrote about Kerala, India, but a lot of people at my school either wrote about China's one child policy or France's pro-natal policy, so I'm slightly confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf bhatti)
    but its not extreme weather would you visit Spain if there is a 70% chance it will rain pretty much every day? that is push factors for people visiting other countries rights?
    yeah that's a good point but i think that would only be the case in countries like India where you get the monsoon season, it wouldn't apply in britain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    For those of you that did the Population unit, what case study did you use for the 8 mark question? I wrote about Kerala, India, but a lot of people at my school either wrote about China's one child policy or France's pro-natal policy, so I'm slightly confused
    It was mainly Kerala, France could have been used but not China

ReputationRep:
    I used Indonesia. Problem with Kerala is that it is birth control so it's not completely relevant. Apparently, a lot of people were stumped by the question and some teacher are complaining about the wording...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantaˌ)
    I used Indonesia. Problem with Kerala is that it is birth control so it's not completely relevant. Apparently, a lot of people were stumped by the question and some teacher are complaining about the wording...
    I never learned the Indonsian case study . It was the wording of the question that confused me as well; on one hand birth control was used in Kerala (i.e. contraceptives given out), but I thought that it might also be referring to China, as in their one child policy they literally control the number of births In the end I settled or Kerala as they used methods of controlling birth rate other than using contraceptives (educating women, dividing up land etc).

ReputationRep:
    I never learned the Indonsian case study . It was the wording of the question that confused me as well; on one hand birth control was used in Kerala (i.e. contraceptives given out), but I thought that it might also be referring to China, as in their one child policy they literally control the number of births In the end I settled or Kerala as they used methods of controlling birth rate other than using contraceptives (educating women, dividing up land etc).
    Similar thing happened with me. We only learnt Indonesia and China and I was pretty sure it wasn't China so I had no option but to go for Indonesia...

ReputationRep:
    I used one of Rio's shanty towns as a case study, I can't remember what the Name of the place was now though... I did put it in the exam though... I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that Kerala would be a good case study as it says in the text book that it is a non-birth control policy. I used Indonesia, but I don't think it's sustainable :s I think the question wasn't worded that well - I think what it wanted was just NOT China, but I'm not sure.....?

ReputationRep:
    The question specified to use a "NON BIRTH CONTROL" related strategy for sustainable development in a country. If you wrote about China, you pretty much answered the question wrong from the start. At my school we were taught the One child Policy & Trans-Migration in Indonesia, with the majority of people sitting the exam in my school writing about trans-migration as a strategy.
    If you wrote about China, like my friend did (He like many others, misinterpreted the question) you'd be lucky to get even 2/8 marks unless some of your points pondered on points found in a correct case study example.

ReputationRep:
    For the changing urban environment squatter settlement question, I did improvement in Rio de Janeiro - would planting trees in order to make the area look more attractive be an environmental improvement ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graviton-Pulse)
    For the changing urban environment squatter settlement question, I did improvement in Rio de Janeiro - would planting trees in order to make the area look more attractive be an environmental improvement ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That would sound more like a sustainable cities improvement, but then again, you could class this as a local authority scheme of improving life of people in squatter settlements, so you could get the mark for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djent)
    The question specified to use a "NON BIRTH CONTROL" related strategy for sustainable development in a country. If you wrote about China, you pretty much answered the question wrong from the start. At my school we were taught the One child Policy & Trans-Migration in Indonesia, with the majority of people sitting the exam in my school writing about trans-migration as a strategy.
    If you wrote about China, like my friend did (He like many others, misinterpreted the question) you'd be lucky to get even 2/8 marks unless some of your points pondered on points found in a correct case study example.
    I did kerala, because they do passive population control very effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graviton-Pulse)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I did that. The favela-bairro project is a local authority scheme in Rio de Janeiro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey does anyone know when the mark scheme will come out?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf bhatti)
    hey does anyone know when the mark scheme will come out?
    It probably won't be publicly available for a long time I'm afraid. Most exam boards refrain from putting the mark schemes for recent exams up on their websites for several months because teachers like to use summer exams as mocks for next batch of year 11s.

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know where I can get the paper for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    How do you revise for this?! I'm really struggling to keep it in my head, especially the Physical Geography side of it. Please tell me about any helpful revision methods that keep the information in your head, including the parts that you don't find interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the questions for tourism, dev gap, population and eco systems in this exam? (:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.