The Student Room Group

Leeds vs Sheffield History course.

After receiving all my offers, I have decided to firm either Sheffield or Leeds. Both are great universities, with great night life and the cities are really nice.
However, the Leeds history course seems to have much more flexibility than the Sheffield one.
They both have a very similar faculty size, therefore there will be a vast array of different topics taught, but the Sheffield course seems somewhat restricted with regards to modules...
After looking closely at each individual course on their respected websites last night, Leeds gives you a choice of well over 20 modules each semester, whereas Sheffield has a limited choice. Also, the number of compulsory modules at Sheffield is greater than at Leeds.

I am really stuck. Obviously Sheffield has many modules which interest me, but I cant help but think that a lot of the compulsory modules are just telling you how to write an essay?

If anyone who has firmed either Leeds or Sheffield, or better yet, anyone who has experienced these course, can give me some guidance, it would be much appreciated!
To study history, you have to consider questions like 'why studying history', 'how do we do it', 'what is truth?', 'what is reliable evidence?' etc etc. You need to get this on board before you start in depth reading/study on 'topic' courses. Preliminary or compulsory courses arent just about 'how to write essays', and they will give you the essential skills for studying this subject at a much higher level than was required at A level. So, dont dismiss courses whose titles seems a bit hazy or vague to you at the moment as 'pointless' - they wont be.

PS. A really good (and readable) book that will introduce you to what studying History at Uni level is all about is http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1403987343/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
It will introduce you to heaps of ideas about History as an academic subject that an A level syllabus never touches on. It might also make the different course structure at these two Unis look a bit clearer.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
To study history, you have to consider questions like 'why studying history', 'how do we do it', 'what is truth?', 'what is reliable evidence?' etc etc. You need to get this on board before you start in depth reading/study on 'topic' courses. Preliminary or compulsory courses arent just about 'how to write essays', and they will give you the essential skills for studying this subject at a much higher level than was required at A level. So, dont dismiss courses whose titles seems a bit hazy or vague to you at the moment as 'pointless' - they wont be.

PS. A really good (and readable) book that will introduce you to what studying History at Uni level is all about is http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1403987343/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
It will introduce you to heaps of ideas about History as an academic subject that an A level syllabus never touches on. It might also make the different course structure at these two Unis look a bit clearer.

It just seems strange to me that Sheffield will have a lot more compulsory modules than Leeds.
There is not one compulsory module in the second year at Leeds and I am not sure if I would liek that or not. Seems Sheffield want to actually teach you proper skills or something.
I dont know, its all too confusing and I dont have the balls to make a decision just yet haha
I'm a student studying History at Leeds, and I did look at studying at Sheffield too...

I made the decision to go to Leeds based on the variety and range available. I had only done the typical World War II, 20th Century Britain stuff so for me, I wanted the chance to really branch out. Leeds definitely had a greater range - since I've got here I've studied Asian History, Ancient History, Religious History, Economic History, Medical History and a good amount of typical stuff as well.

Not having compulsory modules isn't necessarily a bad thing - you're definitely going to do better at things that you've chosen because you like them, rather than things that you just have to do.

Nonetheless, the Leeds compulsory modules do make sure to give you all the skills you need.

The first year module: Introduction to Historical Skills gives you all the information about referencing, researching, constructing an essay, evaluating sources etc. and the Primary sources module in the second semester of first year also teaches you how to interact with primary sources and approach a historical issue from primary sources. So it makes sure that you're well equipped for everything you go into in the other two years.

The two compulsory modules, Medieval Europe, and Modern World, also give you a very well-rounded, broad insight into history in general. Over the course of the year you cover everything from the collapse of the Roman Empire to the 20th Century and its constantly updating so it's getting closer and closer to recent issues such as the Iraq war etc.

If you've got any other questions fire them away haha
Original post by DelBoy12
It just seems strange to me that Sheffield will have a lot more compulsory modules than Leeds.
There is not one compulsory module in the second year at Leeds and I am not sure if I would liek that or not. Seems Sheffield want to actually teach you proper skills or something.
I dont know, its all too confusing and I dont have the balls to make a decision just yet haha

Again, I am another Leeds History Student. Can't really expand on the earlier poster, but like he said the Introduction to Historical Skills module is really great as an initial foundation and the topics they give you can be fun too. I was given the Spanish Civil War, which I'd never studied before and found fascinating. Now I'm hoping to continue my Spanish history studies in second year, which I would've never thought before.

Leeds has really introduced me to a diverse range of history, like I say Modern Spanish, and now Medieval Wales. Whilst this isn't the most FUN, it is nonetheless somewhat unusual and I feel priveledged to be studying it! The 'Modern World' and 'Medieval' overviews are pretty restricted and very very fast paced, but you do get a general overview which I guess is the point! I've also now been given the chance to potentially study Medicine in the First World War in a scholarship, so there are lots of extra opportunities! Obviously, I can't say much for Sheffield's History Dept, but I would really reccomend Leeds as a place to study History :smile: Good luck with your decision and well done on the predicted grades for these Universities!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by DelBoy12
After receiving all my offers, I have decided to firm either Sheffield or Leeds. Both are great universities, with great night life and the cities are really nice.
However, the Leeds history course seems to have much more flexibility than the Sheffield one.
They both have a very similar faculty size, therefore there will be a vast array of different topics taught, but the Sheffield course seems somewhat restricted with regards to modules...
After looking closely at each individual course on their respected websites last night, Leeds gives you a choice of well over 20 modules each semester, whereas Sheffield has a limited choice. Also, the number of compulsory modules at Sheffield is greater than at Leeds.

I am really stuck. Obviously Sheffield has many modules which interest me, but I cant help but think that a lot of the compulsory modules are just telling you how to write an essay?

If anyone who has firmed either Leeds or Sheffield, or better yet, anyone who has experienced these course, can give me some guidance, it would be much appreciated!

You seem to have answered your question for yourself seeing how much more you seem to prefer the course than at Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending