The Student Room Group

Mars One looking for people to travel, live out their life and die on Mars.

Poll

Where do you stand?

The man behind the private space project dubbed Mars One is looking for people to travel to Mars, but he's not offering a return ticket.

"The technology to get humans to Mars and keep them alive there exists," Bas Lansdorp told Day 6 host Brent Bambury in an interview that aired this week on CBC Radio.

"The technology to bring humans from Mars back to Earth simply does not exist yet."

Lansdop said he's looking for people who are utterly dependable, good in groups and "at their best when things are at their worst."

The never-to-return explorers will require eight years of training, and the search starts this year.

The flight is scheduled to leave in Sept. 2022.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/03/16/mars-one-live-die-mars.html?cmp=rss

Scroll to see replies

In b4 Total Recall and David Bowie references.
Reply 2
Original post by Snagprophet

Aliens with acid for saliva and something about a prison full of criminals more like.
Reply 3
Original post by Martyn*
Aliens with acid for saliva and something about a prison full of criminals more like.

It's their blood that's acidic, not their saliva. Get your martian facts right Martyn.
Reply 4
Original post by Dr Pesto
It's their blood that's acidic, not their saliva. Get your martian facts right Martyn.

I thought they could spit acid? Or is that in the Alien V's Predator movie?
Original post by Dr Pesto

They're not even Martians.
Original post by Martyn*
I thought they could spit acid? Or is that in the Alien V's Predator movie?

Their spit does have an acidic effect but it isn't as strong as their acidic blood. I remember a scene (i think from Resurrection) where the alien spat in someones face and it burned them slightly and blinded them but didn't burn through them completely like the blood acid has been shown to do.
Reply 7
Yikes. You have to be pretty desperate to get your name in a history book to sign up to this IMO.
Original post by Snagprophet

Goddamn I was just about to say I'd only go if there were some hookers with three tits.
Reply 9
I would miss my comforts too much. A miss for me, thanks!
I don't know. If your life was really **** here and there was nothing worth staying for then why not eh? Better than killing yourself on earth, at least you'd be relatively famous.
Reply 11
Original post by llessur123
I don't know. If your life was really **** here and there was nothing worth staying for then why not eh? Better than killing yourself on earth, at least you'd be relatively famous.

Think what the requirements for this are. If you're on the verge of killing yourself then you won't have half of these.

THATS BULL,

LIL WAYNE is a martian, and hes on earth, why not just ask him how he got here?
It'd be a bit... boring wouldn't it?
Reply 14
Strong Catch 22 situation: the only people who would want to do this are depressed loners with nothing to live for, but being a depressed loner with nothing to live for would mean that you are ineligible for such a demanding mission.
Original post by tooosh
Think what the requirements for this are. If you're on the verge of killing yourself then you won't have half of these.

I was being dramatic. I mean if you were completely bored with life on earth and indifferent about it then it wouldn't be so bad.
Our head of year used this Mars mission thing as a lesson for reading the small print on a job application. He told us everything about it and people were like 'yeah yeah that sounds cool' but when he said you wouldn't be able to return, people sat up and were like 'wha-?!'. Quite funny actually xD It'll make me remember to always read the small print in the future!
Original post by de_monies
It'd be a bit... boring wouldn't it?

I'd have to take a gameboy.
Reply 18
Original post by llessur123
I was being dramatic. I mean if you were completely bored with life on earth and indifferent about it then it wouldn't be so bad.

Still applies though lol. Apathy will absolutely kill your chances at getting into this let alone surviving it mentally.
Reply 19
HG Wells already put me off.

Quick Reply