Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Mars One looking for people to travel, live out their life and die on Mars. Watch

• View Poll Results: Where do you stand?
    Sign me up
    38.79%
    Earth 4 lyf
    61.21%

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of anything worse.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some random guy)
    I hope this succeeds. They're planning to fund it partly by setting up a Big Brother like system where we can observe the denizens of Mars in their everyday life. Since they'll have an internet connection there and every 2 years we'd get new peeps and gear arriving I wouldn't mind going at all.
    I'd point out that Mars gets much higher radiation than Earth so i'm not sure how long you last before you get cancer.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like an amazing opportunity. I'd miss Earth's gravity though.

Does this remind anyone else of "The Waters of Mars" Doctor Who episode? Yikes.

Anyway, I think I'd really struggle with the food aspect. And the fact that the journey takes seven/eight months. And the eight years training. And ... well, everything really.

Think I'd rather stay on Earth

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't they take 2x families of 4 that are unrelated/have nobody on Earth? Though inbreeding would be a problem unless they take 8 unrelated or a family of 4 and 4 loners; it's hard finding people willing to give up friends and family.
    8 hobos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    I'd be a bit worried that with no proper military or government, if the people actually manage to land on Mars and build a settlement there, there'd be tribal-like anarchy. People will want to dictate over others, and I can't see any other country or the UN being able to solve it. There'd have to be a proper government, cabinet, legislation, etc. and probably some sort of weaponry which would work in space for something like this to ever work.

As someone said on the CBC report:

Week 1 - Awesome I'm on Mars living in a capsule the size of a 5 man tent.
    Week 2-2000 - Crap I'm on Mars living in a capsule the size of a 5 man tent.
    To be fair early attempts by Europeans to colonise the Americas weren't always successful. Many colonies simply couldn't hack it and declined or fell apart as people died or they were abandoned.

Yet here we are hundreds of years later and the whole continent is well and truly settled.

I think the problem is no-one seems to allow for failure any more. So they question anyone who might actually be fine and willing to give this a go.

ReputationRep:
    how did the astronaughts who already visited mars get back then?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamgreatness)
    No man has being past the moon.

ReputationRep:
    If I was in a situation where my life was down the drain, I would probably take a punt on this, seems like a hell of a way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No man has being past the moon.
    o rly?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    o rly?
    Yup, just loads of probes.

ReputationRep:
    the Ark portal, but that was destroyed after some rather unpleasant goings on.

ReputationRep:
    oh right

ReputationRep:
    would you still be able to access internet from Mars?

ReputationRep:
    The living on Mars bit sounds quite exciting, and despite the necessary sacrifices (lack of privacy and earthly comforts like friends, family clothes and food) would arguably be worth the effort if you're motivated enough.

What I couldn't hack though, would be the 8 years' training, possibly for NOTHING if the project doesn't go ahead. So basically, you spend 8 years in the desert, they don't get enough financial support, and you've basically wasted a decade of your life.

Edit: Also, it all sounds a bit 1984ish, ie you are watched and filmed all the time, can only access certain internet sites... They basically control you. Plus if you ever had a problem you'd be screwed, as it would take 22 minutes for Earthlings to receive your SOS message and then 6 months for them to go rescue you :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be down to go one the second or third ship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I'd be down to go one the second or third ship.
    do you mean on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Selling pan-fried Mars Bar Lasagne presumably.
    I said Italian restaurant not Scottish-Italian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    It sounds like an amazing opportunity. I'd miss Earth's gravity though.
    Isn't the Gravity on Mars not hugely different from Earth?

(Original post by Jack93o)
    would you still be able to access internet from Mars?
    Doubtful The bill would be enormous. It's a hell of a price to pay to access TSR from Mars.

ReputationRep:
    do you mean on?
    Yes, yes I did.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.