Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Are young people less Islamophobic than the older generation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    True? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matt...?utm_hp_ref=uk

I think it could be because more young people have grown up interacting with Muslims in schools where as the older generation would mostly know Muslims through the media. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Not a phobia, it's a legitimate, rational response.

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about the UK or the world over?
    Where I currently live , the situation, has never been worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately young people are normally beset on all sides by your typical BBC type propaganda (which this article does so well), that almost all Muslims are good and beneficial, that only a tiny minority hold extreme views and that disagreeing with these 2 points means you're a crazy racist. The reality is much different, Muslim growth is a threat to the social values this country holds so important, and people are slowly starting to see it.

"32 percent of Muslims on UK campuses believe killing in the name of religion is justified"

"54 percent wanted a Muslim Party to represent their world view in Parliament"

"40 percent want Muslims in the UK to be under Sharia law"

"36% of 16-24 year olds believe if a Muslim converts to another religion they should be punished by death, compared to 19% of 55+ year old Muslims."

"Muslims between the ages of 16 and 24 had the highest unemployment rates at 28%; 11% of Muslims over the age of 25 were unemployed."

"61% think homosexuality is wrong and should be illegal."

"Muslims households were the least likely to be homeowners (52%) and are the most likely among all religious groups to be living in accommodation rented from the council or housing association (28%); 4% live rent-free."

"Unemployment rates were higher for Muslims than any other religion, for both men and women. Muslim male unemployment rate was 13% in 2004, and for women it was 18%."

"7% “admire organisations like Al-Qaeda that are prepared to fight the West’. 13% of 16-24 year olds agreed with this statement compared to 3% of 55+ year olds."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wiki...RE8-02527.html

http://dvmx.com/British_Muslim_Youth.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frube)
    Unfortunately young people are normally beset on all sides by your typical BBC type propaganda (which this article does so well), that almost all Muslims are good and beneficial, that only a tiny minority hold extreme views and that disagreeing with these 2 points means you're a crazy racist. The reality is much different, Muslim growth is a threat to the social values this country holds so important, and people are slowly starting to see it.

"32 percent of Muslims on UK campuses believe killing in the name of religion is justified"

"36% of 16-24 year olds believe if a Muslim converts to another religion they should be punished by death, compared to 19% of 55+ year old Muslims."

"Muslims between the ages of 16 and 24 had the highest unemployment rates at 28%; 11% of Muslims over the age of 25 were unemployed."

"Muslims households were the least likely to be homeowners (52%) and are the most likely among all religious groups to be living in accommodation rented from the council or housing association (28%); 4% live rent-free."

"Unemployment rates were higher for Muslims than any other religion, for both men and women. Muslim male unemployment rate was 13% in 2004, and for women it was 18%."

"7% “admire organisations like Al-Qaeda that are prepared to fight the West’. 13% of 16-24 year olds agreed with this statement compared to 3% of 55+ year olds."

Do you think the findings to these polls would be much different for any other religious group? Has anyone carried out a poll into the opinions specifically for any other religious group? It makes me wonder why they carried out polls for Muslims only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebell100)
    Do you think the findings to these polls would be much different for any other religious group? Has anyone carried out a poll into the opinions specifically for any other religious group? It makes me wonder why they carried out polls for Muslims only.
    Because only Muslims are a threat to everyday society

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)

Posted from TSR iPad
    Have you even met any Muslims or spoken to one?

ReputationRep:
    I think for older people, anything alien to them is harder to get used to, and yes, part of it is probably interaction. It's the same with race relations to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frube)
    That would suggest to me that it isn't their religion that is making Muslims sympathetic to terrorists, if it was there would be no difference in age. It could be due to a lot of 16-24 year old Muslims being students, meaning that they only moved to the UK recently, and so the change in culture has repulsed them, giving them more extremist views. They should have done a survey comparing Muslim students who were born in a Western country to ones born in Muslim countries. I suspect very few of the ones born in a Western country would hold these views.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Islamophobia is different than, to say, racism. The thing is that Islamophobia is not exactly tied to certain generations, like racism might be on the whole (e.g. against black people, those from the older generation may be more racist).

I blame such widespread Islamophobia on the media.

On the other hand, what I wouldn't label as Islamophobic are statements expressing dislike and distaste of Islam and criticisms of Islam and its elements.

Dislike and distaste of Muslims, however, is Islamophobic and prejudicial.

ReputationRep:
    People who hate the younger generations forgot who raised them. But as part of the younger generation I personally do not like the traditions that Islam brings with it because it's 2013 not 1745.

ReputationRep:
    I think its often perceived by people because of the media that younger people are more Islamophobic than elder generations but I dont think this is the case. Look back at when the elder generations were young, racism generally was high and 'paki bashing' was a regular thing.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR iPad
    TRUTH!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frube)

Yh and those 600 muslims polled represent the whole Muslim population in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR iPad
    I know, Everyone is terrified when I am walking down the street.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Not a phobia, it's a legitimate, rational response.
    As a former Muslim I completely agree, Islam is something to be feared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFrozenLake.)
    I know, Everyone is terrified when I am walking down the street.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you wear a Casio F91

Posted from TSR iPad

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.