Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to the end of first year at Newcastle and I was wondering what kind of research opportunities someone with my limited knowledge and experience could get. I have access to the university and I will be contacting the faculty (not sure who this would be) to try and get some voluntary or paid work crunching numbers or other grunt work. I'd like to think that if I present myself as a keen medical student willing to work for free I'll get some experience.

Also, say by the end of this I had a data table or something to show for it, would that be useful in terms of my CV? The main reason I'd like to get experience now is that I may want to try one of the student-led research programmes, in which you run your own study, in future years.

Any stories or contacts would be most appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Id like to ask the same question - im at Barts.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities have studentships for the summer that one can apply for on a competitive basis?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Funding/Bi.../wtd004448.htm

This link is just for funding after you've found a willing supervisor!
    Generally it's not too difficult to find somebody in your university who's doing research in an area you're interested in - just email and offer your voluntary services over the summer! That's the tactic most people I know have used.

ReputationRep:
    Go to http://www.nsamr.org/, find your medical school under "societies" and contact your local academic med society for info!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses, I had already contacted my academic medicine society but the only things they had available involved coming up with my own research proposal and running a study. While this is definitely something I want to do in later years I'd rather get some basic experience under my belt first. I've contacted an attached research institute and I'm filling out an application with them. Any further discussion would of course be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_Bloggs93)
    Thanks for the responses, I had already contacted my academic medicine society but the only things they had available involved coming up with my own research proposal and running a study. While this is definitely something I want to do in later years I'd rather get some basic experience under my belt first. I've contacted an attached research institute and I'm filling out an application with them. Any further discussion would of course be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not a medical student, but you'll be amazed how simple it is to get going with your own research project. It's hard graft, especially if you need to get your hands dirty with lab work, but certainly not too difficult even with no experience

If you don't want to jump straight in, are there any doctors doing MDs that you know? I know several people who have volunteered to help with laboratory work and basic research in such a way. You may or may not get your name on a paper at the end of it, but it's good basic experience.

EDIT: Should also point out that it would be rare indeed for someone doing a lab-based MD to reject your help in the lab...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    Not a medical student, but you'll be amazed how simple it is to get going with your own research project. It's hard graft, especially if you need to get your hands dirty with lab work, but certainly not too difficult even with no experience

If you don't want to jump straight in, are there any doctors doing MDs that you know? I know several people who have volunteered to help with laboratory work and basic research in such a way. You may or may not get your name on a paper at the end of it, but it's good basic experience.

EDIT: Should also point out that it would be rare indeed for someone doing a lab-based MD to reject your help in the lab...

Thanks for the advice. It seems amazing that it'd be difficult at all to volunteer free work for someone!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.