Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

panic attack or something else????help Watch

ReputationRep:
    yesterday night i was feeling as if i was out of breath it was like something was sitting on my heart it felt really heavy my head was buzzing and my breathing was really hard then i fell asleep when i woke up my heart was still feeling like this but even worser i felt as if i was having a heartattack /asma attack. when i came home i gave my inhaler but wasnt feeling anybetter i felt as if i was high my body felt awake so did my mind it almost felt as if i wasnt in control of my body i then went to the toilet and felt even worse : my vision went blury i ddnt know wat was going on it was like i was on a rollercoaster i then fell to the floor and felt very nauseas at this time i felt as if i was going to pass out . at this time i was somehwat aware of my surrondings just not my body .i then i uncontrollaby started to shake my legs ,body ,hands ,teeth my breathing was shallow too i shaked for about 2/3 mins max .after about ten minutes i was still feeling very weak and numb and i still had the feeling as if i wasnt in my body .this has happend to me only twice and quite recently.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has suffered from a panic attack I would say what you have experienced could be due to somethink else, a panic attack doesnt last over a long period like you have just described there. I would say explain what has happened to your GP and they would be able to tell you more on what it could be and how to make sure it doesnt happen again.
    My own experience of a panic attack came on in a sudden amount of seconds, I kept walking up and down the room quickly, feeling out of control and confused, i then suddenly found it incredibly difficult to breathe, just couldnt catch my breath, this then led to more panic with me struggling more to breathe, at this point i was lying on the floor face down trying to gasp for air, feeling like i was about to die (very common irrational feeling during a panic attack) it got worse as anyone came to try and help me i had to be left alone in the room alone with just one person as anymore made me incredibly worse with me starting to gag and my chest tightening up....i also felt i couldnt life my neck up straight and my tongue kept falling back which frightened me even more. My panic attack lasted around 20 minutes, anymore advise just message me

ReputationRep:
    owww thankss

ReputationRep:
    Panic attacks are periods of intense fear or apprehension that are of sudden onset[1] and of variable duration of minutes to hours. Panic attacks usually begin abruptly, may reach a peak within 10 minutes, but may continue for much longer if the sufferer had the attack triggered by a situation from which they are not able to escape. In panic attacks that continue unabated, and are triggered by a situation from which the sufferer desires to escape, some sufferers may make frantic efforts to escape, which may be violent if others attempt to contain the sufferer. Some panic attacks can subside on their own over the next several hours. Often, those afflicted will experience significant anticipatory anxiety and limited symptom attacks in between attacks, in situations where attacks have previously occurred. The effects of a panic attack vary. Some, notably first-time sufferers, may call for emergency services. Many who experience a panic attack, mostly for the first time, fear they are having a heart attack or a nervous breakdown
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limitededition)
    yesterday night i was feeling as if i was out of breath it was like something was sitting on my heart it felt really heavy my head was buzzing and my breathing was really hard then i fell asleep when i woke up my heart was still feeling like this but even worser i felt as if i was having a heartattack /asma attack. when i came home i gave my inhaler but wasnt feeling anybetter i felt as if i was high my body felt awake so did my mind it almost felt as if i wasnt in control of my body i then went to the toilet and felt even worse : my vision went blury i ddnt know wat was going on it was like i was on a rollercoaster i then fell to the floor and felt very nauseas at this time i felt as if i was going to pass out . at this time i was somehwat aware of my surrondings just not my body .i then i uncontrollaby started to shake my legs ,body ,hands ,teeth my breathing was shallow too i shaked for about 2/3 mins max .after about ten minutes i was still feeling very weak and numb and i still had the feeling as if i wasnt in my body .this has happend to me only twice and quite recently.
    If you felt pain and tightness in the centre of the chest, and pain deviating down the left arm, I would suggest going to your GP or a Hospital ASAP.

Though you mentioned you have Asthma? So what it sounds like is you had Asthma Attack and then a Panic Attack right after?

Changes in Respiratory Rate and Heart Rate occur naturally due to the release of Adrenaline, this also increases blood pressure and also increases Muscle Hypertonicity (Tightness) and also causes Capillary Dilation, so this increases warmth, clamminess and sweating; and thus can mimic Heart Attack symptoms. Panic Attacks can also cause Paresthesias, Palpitations, trembling and or shaking as the Autonomic Nervous System is essentially in overdrive. Panic Attacks can also disrupt coordination and cognitive function temporally.

The increased Respiratory Rate and Heart Rate increase the amount of oxygen in the blood, which creates an unbalance of Oxygen to Carbon Dioxide within the blood... Rapid heart beat, dizziness, and light-headedness can soon follow. (Research Hyperventilation syndrome)

Most of your symptoms can be explained as a BAD Panic Attack; however they should not be on going and not be getting worse. If they are, I would again suggest going to your GP and getting it sorted for your own peace of mind.

(Original post by JacobC94)
    I also wonder if I've had panic attacks or something else. People told me I was, but I'm not sure, and if people ask now I just say yes to save the bother of explaining in detail what happens. It might not be a panic attack at all...So when it happens, it only happens when I go out of the house and I'm anticipating something, like going to school, but not randomly like it seems to with some people. I start to feel extremely worried, and when I realise there's no way out I feel claustrophobic, like I need to escape, I get shortness of breath and I feel sick (nearly always am), I also have negative thoughts about what will happen to me running through my brain constantly. In some situations, if I'm feeling angry or sad, the emotion grips me. It's like I can feel it running through me and I end up shouting, screaming, swearing, or (once) banging my head against a wall! And I feel like a can't stop, like I want to stop existing (not suicidal, just that I don't want to be there). Other times, if I'm feeling sad, I just end up crying for ages, until suddenly the emotion goes away and I'm fine again. These emotional things don't sound like a panic attack at all from what I've heard, and I've never had a heart-attack-like heart beat during one before. I mean, it gets faster but not to the stage that I feel I'm gonna have a heart attack. This seems to be a key element of a panic attack though.Is it actually a panic attack? Or an emotional breakdown? Or what!? Because it doesn't seem to match the definition of a panic attack, but to be honest the definition isn't so clear cut.Thanks
    Claustrophobia, Agoraphobia, Anxiety, Depression & maybe Necrophobia too? People have different levels of Anxiety/Depression and thus different levels of Panic Attack.

I suffer from terrible Panic Attacks, like the one I described above... EVEN THOUGH I'm studying Clinical Hypnotherapy, and know of all the mental & cognitive processes/mechanics & Biological mechanics that are involved and how to treat them, dealing with it yourself is difficult, I do understand where you both are coming from, from a professional and personal perspective; if you are worried go to your GP, and they will investigate and might refer you to a Psychologist.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobC94)
    I wouldn't say I have any of those phobias really, but I can see how they relate to my so called 'panic attacks'
    I really just posted that to see if anyone knew if I was actually having panic attacks (they died down when I left school half a year ago) because although they vary from person to person and there are different 'levels', getting a fast heart beat and feeling like you're having a heart attack seems to be a key feature of peoples' panic attacks. I don't get this though, I mean, my heart beat increases but not to the point where I think I'm having a heart attack.
    The emotional outburst thing I sometimes get definitely doesn't seem to be a feature of anyone elses' panic attacks.
    Thanks,
    J
    Depression/Anxiety is more likely in your case, emotional outbursts/instability can occur with either Depression/Anxiety, but not so much the phobias; unless Depression/Anxiety is a secondary to phobia of course. So as you said you can rule them out, unless you fear something?

You may just be an emotional person, have there being any dramatic events recently in your life? Like death of a loved one, moved house or gone to university or anything else potentially stressful? Emotion is fine, but erratic negative emotion; like lots of anger or fear is not normal and can be detrimental to your health... Look up "Type A Personalities". I would suggest going to a medical professional mate, as they would be able to give you more advice then I can.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limitededition)
    Dude you should go to the doctors! TSR can't help you!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.