Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'll give you the short version.

I'm a TA/Techy guy at a local school/college. I just turned 20 in Feb. Recently, I've found myself in the same pubs, cinemas, etc. as a certain someone in year 11 - she's in her last month or so of exams, 16, but turning 17 this year. We both kinda like each other and...yeah you can see where it's going.

Nothing's "gone on" before you ask, it's all safe, so there's no worry there. We both think it's a little dodgy. But where exactly do I stand? I basically have no responsibilities - I don't mark students, I don't discipline, I just fix stuff, help people out with recordings, blah blah. When I see this person around school I don't act out of turn or anything. Just a nod and a wave and I get on with work. So it's not encroaching on my work. But is there any specific legal...thing that addresses TA's?

I have to say it's been very hard working there. It's fun as well, but being at the most 3 or 4 years older than the people I deal with, I seem to just hit it off with alot of the students. And it's not even like i go out of my way to, it just happens. Especially at college level. I mean I have way more in common with the students than I do with any of the staff cos it only seems like a couple of years ago since i finished college.....probably cos it was only a couple of years ago.

I dunno, it's confusing. I don't wanna get in any trouble. And I don't wanna get her in any trouble. If worse comes to worse I guess it'll just have to wait till she's finished there, but in the meantime, what do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    Just don't show her your 3 an a half inch floppy at school and I'm sure everything will be ok.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Legend.

ReputationRep:
    seriously..i am now convinced that this is all guys talk about....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chimp_spanner)
    Okay I'll give you the short version.

I'm a TA/Techy guy at a local school/college. I just turned 20 in Feb. Recently, I've found myself in the same pubs, cinemas, etc. as a certain someone in year 11 - she's in her last month or so of exams, 16, but turning 17 this year. We both kinda like each other and...yeah you can see where it's going.

Nothing's "gone on" before you ask, it's all safe, so there's no worry there. We both think it's a little dodgy. But where exactly do I stand? I basically have no responsibilities - I don't mark students, I don't discipline, I just fix stuff, help people out with recordings, blah blah. When I see this person around school I don't act out of turn or anything. Just a nod and a wave and I get on with work. So it's not encroaching on my work. But is there any specific legal...thing that addresses TA's?

I have to say it's been very hard working there. It's fun as well, but being at the most 3 or 4 years older than the people I deal with, I seem to just hit it off with alot of the students. And it's not even like i go out of my way to, it just happens. Especially at college level. I mean I have way more in common with the students than I do with any of the staff cos it only seems like a couple of years ago since i finished college.....probably cos it was only a couple of years ago.

I dunno, it's confusing. I don't wanna get in any trouble. And I don't wanna get her in any trouble. If worse comes to worse I guess it'll just have to wait till she's finished there, but in the meantime, what do you all think?

you are actualy a GOD, i'll have the job if you don't want it and fair play to ya........

ReputationRep:
    lol i was gunna say how unhelpful these comments were but....it was kinda funny

Let jokes of hard-drives and so on ensue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    you are actualy a GOD, i'll have the job if you don't want it and fair play to ya........
    lol yeah, the whole being-surrounded-by-a-million-and-one-cuties aspect of it is quite good......in a way. BUt that also makes me sound very very bad. Which I'm not. I swear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chimp_spanner)
    lol yeah, the whole being-surrounded-by-a-million-and-one-cuties aspect of it is quite good......in a way. BUt that also makes me sound very very bad. Which I'm not. I swear.
    no it makes you sound one lucky *******, and if they are ready to read they're ready to breed :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    no it makes you sound one lucky *******, and if they are ready to read they're ready to breed :cool:
    But I learned to read when I was 4. You mean I missed 12 legal years of the good stuff?!

ReputationRep:
    If you really like each other yes, wait until she has finnished school, perhaps that would make your relationship more worthwhile when you finally get together properly.

Otherwise, if you cant keep your hands of each other, look for another job.

ReputationRep:
    Are you officialy employed by the school? Because if so then you can't do anything while she is legaly a student at your place of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Are you officialy employed by the school? Because if so then you can't do anything while she is legaly a student at your place of work.
    or more importantly is she hot?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, she is probably still immature and might be giggling about this to all her friends (or may do in the future) and then you'll be buggered. Year 11 girls just can't keep quiet (I've been one). What do you have to base this fantasy on? A few meetings in the pub and a passing glance at school. Don't be so silly. She has the excuse that she is still young and immature - you should be the upstanding, wise person here and realise that girls MIGHT get "crushes" on their teaching staff but that it doesn't mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. You should be asking "Will I be breaking the law".

The answer to "Am I breaking the law" is no. But you are only not breaking it currently. Perhaps you've phrased the question like that because you want to hear lots of people saying no - when really you've asked a deceptive question (for yourself and for others). This is potentially dangerous territory. Leave it WELL alone!

ReputationRep:
    one of the techs tried it on with one of our year 11s, he got sacked. be careful.

ReputationRep:
    Hand youself into the police before this gets out of hand. Its the safest option to control your desires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Hand youself into the police before this gets out of hand. Its the safest option to control your desires.
    Oi! Are you taking the mickey? My advice was serious. Grrr.

And double grrr... where did I go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)

Anyway. Where did you say you went Blissy? Westminster?

Serious, whats the grrr for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)

Sorry I'm in a very funny mood. Please forgive my stupidity.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.