Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Anyway. Where did you say you went Blissy? Westminster?

Serious, whats the grrr for?
    there is nothing wrong with a teacher-student relationshipbut realistically everyhthing is wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    there is nothing wrong with a teacher-student relationshipbut realistically everyhthing is wrong

He is isnt a teacher though. I'd personally say Blissy is right, this person has written a question so we are to say 'no' to make him feel better. Like I said though, if he actually really likes her and she feels the same they should wait until she has left.

ReputationRep:
    she'll be leaving after her exams anyway, unless she stays on at 6th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Anyway. Where did you say you went Blissy? Westminster?

Serious, whats the grrr for?
    Grrs are just part of my personality. It's kind-of a Marge-like mumble. I never mean them seriously though

ReputationRep:
    When I say "...happen to have been in the same places as this person" that's just another way of saying, yeah I've met up with them out of work. Just another way of saying it, not like oh i got a glance at a pub or anything silly like that. I'm not phrasing the question to meet my own ends at all, I just wanted people's interpretation of it. Will I be breaking any laws, am I breaking any laws - same difference. And it's not like a teacher/student "crush" thing at all - well at least I don't see it like that. FOr a start, I'm not a teacher. But I'm not being an ass about it - I appreciate the advice, and you're not the first to say it. And when enough people give you the same piece of advice, that's generally a hint to take it. I've already told her that if I feel it's gettin too "funny" then I'll knock it on the head, or just wait. I just wanted some....outside views on it, that's all.

Like I said, it's just a difficult position to be in, and it's an easy one to make light of, but....yeah.

But I'll agree with you then - probably best to leave it alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chimp_spanner)
    Okay I'll give you the short version.

I'm a TA/Techy guy at a local school/college. I just turned 20 in Feb. Recently, I've found myself in the same pubs, cinemas, etc. as a certain someone in year 11 - she's in her last month or so of exams, 16, but turning 17 this year. We both kinda like each other and...yeah you can see where it's going.

Nothing's "gone on" before you ask, it's all safe, so there's no worry there. We both think it's a little dodgy. But where exactly do I stand? I basically have no responsibilities - I don't mark students, I don't discipline, I just fix stuff, help people out with recordings, blah blah. When I see this person around school I don't act out of turn or anything. Just a nod and a wave and I get on with work. So it's not encroaching on my work. But is there any specific legal...thing that addresses TA's?

I have to say it's been very hard working there. It's fun as well, but being at the most 3 or 4 years older than the people I deal with, I seem to just hit it off with alot of the students. And it's not even like i go out of my way to, it just happens. Especially at college level. I mean I have way more in common with the students than I do with any of the staff cos it only seems like a couple of years ago since i finished college.....probably cos it was only a couple of years ago.

I dunno, it's confusing. I don't wanna get in any trouble. And I don't wanna get her in any trouble. If worse comes to worse I guess it'll just have to wait till she's finished there, but in the meantime, what do you all think?
    unless she's really really hot or u actually love her i doubt it would be worth it. Lots of hassle, people calling you a kiddyfiddler, possibly bad for your career. All for what? The most likley outcome would be you'd end up breaking up after a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I had it off with the computer tech at my old college...Kinda weird though because he knew all my other friends and now he's in my french class at new college...very strange.
    Still illegal I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    It's been a long time since I've heard the phrase "had it off".

<nostalgic sigh>

ReputationRep:
    My 16 sister is going out with a 20 year old 'year in industry' uni student who is working as a IT assistant at college.

He was called into the heads office and asked if anything is going on. When my sister first told me I was shocked he was allowed to do it, and go out with her.

I don't think you're breaking the law, but you're abusing whatever powers of authority you have. Call it off now, before you get in serious trouble.

ReputationRep:
    hang on, now I read this again, it seems A LOT like my sisters scenario - you're not from Woking College are you chimp_spanner?!?! :confused:

(Original post by chimp_spanner)
    Okay I'll give you the short version.

I'm a TA/Techy guy at a local school/college. I just turned 20 in Feb. Recently, I've found myself in the same pubs, cinemas, etc. as a certain someone in year 11 - she's in her last month or so of exams, 16, but turning 17 this year. We both kinda like each other and...yeah you can see where it's going.

Nothing's "gone on" before you ask, it's all safe, so there's no worry there. We both think it's a little dodgy. But where exactly do I stand? I basically have no responsibilities - I don't mark students, I don't discipline, I just fix stuff, help people out with recordings, blah blah. When I see this person around school I don't act out of turn or anything. Just a nod and a wave and I get on with work. So it's not encroaching on my work. But is there any specific legal...thing that addresses TA's?

I have to say it's been very hard working there. It's fun as well, but being at the most 3 or 4 years older than the people I deal with, I seem to just hit it off with alot of the students. And it's not even like i go out of my way to, it just happens. Especially at college level. I mean I have way more in common with the students than I do with any of the staff cos it only seems like a couple of years ago since i finished college.....probably cos it was only a couple of years ago.

I dunno, it's confusing. I don't wanna get in any trouble. And I don't wanna get her in any trouble. If worse comes to worse I guess it'll just have to wait till she's finished there, but in the meantime, what do you all think?
    we have a technician at our school just like you, he's driven a girl and stuff and is just a normal guy really, a lot of people like him

16 to 20 is pushing it a tad to far, if you were say 21 then its no goes lol
    i just turned 18 although some say i look younger, and anything below 16 to me, is jail bait

contrary to what i said the amount of 15 year old girls that look good is unbelievable
    you think they are like 18 but they're not

(Original post by DazYa12)
    we have a technician at our school just like you, he's driven a girl and stuff and is just a normal guy really, a lot of people like him

16 to 20 is pushing it a tad to far, if you were say 21 then its no goes lol
    i just turned 18 although some say i look younger, and anything below 16 to me, is jail bait

contrary to what i said the amount of 15 year old girls that look good is unbelievable
    you think they are like 18 but they're not
    i meant to say, driven a girl to her home

(Original post by Danithestudent)
    I had it off with the computer tech at my old college...Kinda weird though because he knew all my other friends and now he's in my french class at new college...very strange.
    Still illegal I'm afraid
    you're weird.

As an employee of the school you have an obligation to keep your relations with students as professional as possible. I’d say it was unwise to get involved with this girl while she is still enrolled there regardless if you keep it all personal away from work and professional while you’re both there. At the end of the day the school would look badly on it and as your employers it’s a good idea to keep on the right side of them – especially if you want a reference!

If she leaves at the end of this year then the school will not care one bit who you go out with, they view it as if it was ever complained about by a parent and made public it would make them look very bad to some people, this is what they want to avoid even if legally its fine.

Tricky situation but if she’s worth having then she’s worth waiting for.

ReputationRep:
    as long as she is over 16 then there shld b no probs
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I hate to point out the obvious but:

Read your contract of employment

Should explain in there if the school has any policy on relationships in the workplace.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure that if you're that serious then you can wait a little longer. she'llhave finished soon, her exams aren't far away, then persue her and talk to her about it. find out if she's satying on at 6th form. if she is then forget it. if not, then either leave it or first check ur contract like pencil queen said.

ReputationRep:
    so is she hot?

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah but that's besides the point

Nah seriously okay, thanks for the advice everyone. I can see what the general concensus is - and I feel a little stupid for even having to ask in the first place. Funny enough I didn't get a contract as such - just something to state my hours and position, but then I guess it's common sense (something which can often take leave of a guy when a girl is involved).

And no, it's not "serious" enough by any means for me to risk getting sacked (and hence f*cking up my plans to save enough money for Uni next year...yes I'm going to Uni in september, which makes it all the more pointless. damn im stoopit).

Still, damn marvellous. I go 20 years without a single frikkin girlfriend and the one place I seem to attract way too much female attention is the one place I really don't want it.

But yeah, advice duly noted people.

*feels stupid*
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It's one of the basic rights of all workers to have a full contract of employment (although they don't have to give it to you you should have signed it - they often keep the main copy in their files). Either way and even ignoring this situation you should *always* have a copy of your contract of employment and have read it and understood it.

Alternatively presumably your employer is actually the LEA - in which case they should have their employment policies (including on relationships at work) on their website.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.