Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Denied entry to a pub - CitizenCard Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    First post here
    So, I'm 18. The DVLA say that I cannot drive, because of my eyesight. I believe I would be able to do it, and that the eyesight requirements they enforce are unfair and not a very good test for sight. However, that's a completely different issue...
    Long story short, this means I haven't applied for a licence as the DVLArses say I don't meet their requirements.
    So, I got one of these blasted CitizenCards. I go to Liverpool on nights out every now and again, and you can guarantee that every time I go I will be denied access to somewhere, because the ID is "dodgy", "doesn't look real", "we only accept DL's and Passports" etc. I get in to a few places, but I get shifty looks from the bouncers and it's just generally not a great atmosphere.

Anyway, for something to do, me and a couple of mates went out to a pub-y club-ish type place a few miles from where I live. Something to do, bit of a laugh! Anyway, we get there, they whip their provisionals out and I submit my glorious CitizenCard. Lo and behold, the bouncers said "Licences and passports only". Jaws dropped, night ruined. We got all got lifts to meet up for a night out, and it just ended there and there was nothing i could do about it. My mates could've got in fine but they weren't going to leave me standing outside. This frustrates me so much, I can't really go out without fearing bouncers haha. I will not take my passport out - if it can't fit in my wallet I don't want to carry it. You can guarantee I'd lose it, probably by pulling my phone out to answer a text and bringing the passport out onto the floor with it, and I don't want to pay £80 for a new one or whatever it is.

It's bad enough I won't get given a licence that I believe I could cope with, It's a stress to go to the bloody pub - "I'll let it slide this time, mate". It's like an achievement every time I manage to get served, that's how poor it is haha. It's pushing me to just lie on the licence application form so I can get one, I'm sick and tired of being the one that let's the team down and wrecking the night.

Not really too sure why I've written this. Just seemed an appropriate place

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you meet all the requirements when wearing glasses though?
    That would be quite annoying - but I suppose the only option you have is to take your passport out. I'd probably look at getting a provisional again though... Hardly anywhere accepts the citizen cards, as I'm sure you are aware now xD

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at it recently. It would involve me lying about being able to see a plate from 20m, and I have to declare a medical condition.

The thing is, whilst I can't tell you what the plate says, I can tell you that a plate is present and has text on it haha. I could tell you what make and model the car is from quite a bit away. I can see when a light is red or green from absolutely miles away literally. I honestly believe I could do a better job than a lot of people is see driving, it's horrendous how bad some people are - road positioning etc. I really don't want to take the passport out, I don't have £20 to my name never mind £80 haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you get a provisional license? You shouldn't have to do an eye test for a provisional...

ReputationRep:
    Because even with my glasses, I can't read a licence plate from 20m, and I still have to declare a medical condition the DVLA wouldn't like. No you don't have to do an eyesight test to get one, but is be lying if I pretending I had nothing wrong with me. I think I will just lie, bring down the government haha. Bored of having no friends when they get into places haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for spelling in the last post, was on an iPhone. Should explain it all

ReputationRep:
    You could still get a provisional licence... You'd just use for ID and nothing else. Sure, it's more expense, but it's better than nothing, right?

I believe on the CitizenCard websites there is a form or contact address if you need to file a complaint (in particular, for premises which refuse entry to the card). It would be worth doing that and possibly contacting the premesis just to ask them of their policy and to update their bouncers about it.

They should be accepted and usually are by the major alcohol sales groups (shops, clubs, etc).

ReputationRep:
    Ill apply for a prov this week I think. Yeah it seems to work in supermarkets, where the person serving is a Middle Aged woman an not some hothead bouncer haha. Ill look into that complaints form

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it's not the pub's fault you don't have an officially recognised ID.

bring out your passport or quit moaning

ReputationRep:
    I share your frustration, the most annoying thing is that the government has spent money on the PASS scheme and then just failed at the last hurdle, educating businesses, meaning for pretty much all clubs and many pubs the scheme was a complete waste of money.

Actually, scratch that, the MOST annoying thing is that many of the places who will turn you down with a PASS card will be displaying challenge 25 posters which state that PASS cards are an acceptable form of ID.

Anyway, remember a provisional is £50 now anyway, so the difference is not as big between that and a passport as you might think. The main concern for me is if passport/drivers license was stolen someone could theoretically steal my identity but with a PASS card they could only use it to prove their age.

I take my passport out as I don't have a provisional and haven't had the money to justify buying one for the amount I go out, I'd recommend a coat/jacket with an inside zip pocket, that's what my partner has and I always get him to store it in there.

xxx

If it has a PASS hologram they should accept it. This is pretty fundamental government age check / ServeLegal (independent company that tests businesses) stuff. the staff and bouncers who refuse you, are poorly trained. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin jol)
    it's not the pub's fault you don't have an officially recognised ID.

bring out your passport or quit moaning
    I'm sorry, but I think you'll find it has a PASS logo on it and is therefore recognised as ID.
    Take your cynicism elsewhere I cannot be bothered to deal with people that show no understanding or ability to reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    If it has a PASS hologram they should accept it. This is pretty fundamental government age check / ServeLegal (independent company that tests businesses) stuff. the staff and bouncers who refuse you, are poorly trained. Simple as that.
    Yeah, but I can't tell every bouncer in the country to stop being a moron aha. Yes they should accept it, but they don't. And this is what this thread is about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshuaLewis1809)
    I'm sorry, but I think you'll find it has a PASS logo on it and is therefore recognised as ID.
    Take your cynicism elsewhere I cannot be bothered to deal with people that show no understanding or ability to reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
    actually what is and isn't ID is determined by local licensing laws. pub i work at is explicitly not allowed pass or army ID.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    It is but the government needs to make more of an effort so companies realise this because I know a lot of places who assume the CitizenCard is a bit dodgy despite the fact it isn't. I work at a supermarket and we've basically been told to only accept Passports and driving licences to be safe, many others do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin jol)
    actually what is and isn't ID is determined by local licensing laws. pub i work at is explicitly not allowed pass or army ID.
    I thought the pass scheme was nationwide-government sort of thing? Surely this isn't at each establishment's discretion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's really odd, I had a citizen card which said I'm 13, but as it had my date of birth I used to produce it as proof of age that I'm over 18! And it was accepted every time.

Nowadays I just carry my passport, it's not that much of a hassle. I do wish it was a little smaller.

ReputationRep:
    I can't drive because I'm being tested for epilepsy so I feel your pain. Thankfully I've got triple citizenship so I have three passports haha. Just lie on the form and get a provisional, you won't be able to actually learn to drive if you can't see the plate because it's part of the test but you may as well get it for ID.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You can be fined if you lie, I think.

OP - I feel your pain. I was trying to find out when I was 18 whether I could drive. Legally, if I could read a few more letters, I could drive. (whether I'd be safe is another matter) Now, that's not possible; as my eyesight has gotten too bad to even think about driving.

I've had a few places question my citizen card, even though it says on their wall that the accepted forms of ID include passes with the pass hologram on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshuaLewis1809)
    I thought the pass scheme was nationwide-government sort of thing? Surely this isn't at each establishment's discretion

Posted from TSR Mobile
    would the government completely messing something up be unprecedented?

i think it's complicated in that it should be ID, but due to local licensing laws and how strict the consequences of serving minors are, most establishments stick to drivers licenses and passports. its better to refuse someone service than to get your license taken away for serving a kid. at the end of the day no pub has to serve you no matter what your age.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.