Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    4y = 15ln (2) x - 15 ln(2) 2 + 17

At the back of the book , they have took out as a common factor the 15 ln(2) in order to simplify stuff, but then i thought that it couldnt be taken out since it doesnt appear in all three terms.

Thanks for all the help in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawoods)

At the back of the book , they have took out as a common factor the 15 ln(2) in order to simplify stuff, but then i thought that it couldnt be taken out since it doesnt appear in all three terms.

Can you post the initial question?

ReputationRep:

Can you post the original question

As you say ln2 is not a common factor so perhaps the error was earlier in your work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Can you post the initial question?
    hello there,
    The initial question was

Find the equation of the tangent to the curve y= 2^x +2^-x at the point (2, 17/4).

thanku for all help in advance!

ReputationRep:
    What did they get as a result? I don't see how factorizing can "simplify" an equation in the first place.

A move from

4y = 15\ln 2 (x) - 15 \ln 2 (2) + 17

to

4y = 15\ln 2 (x - 2)  + 17

Is perfectly valid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aznkid66)
    What did they get as a result? I don't see how factorizing can "simplify" an equation in the first place.

A move from

4y = 15\ln 2 (x) - 15 \ln 2 (2) + 17

to

4y = 15\ln 2 (x - 2)  + 17

Is perfectly valid...
    Hello , when determining the nature of any stationary points , if the second derivative is equal to 0, we differentiate again, right? and then for it to be a point of inflection what must the third differential equal to? thanks

ReputationRep:
    The third derivative must exist and not be 0, for this implies that there is a sign change at the second derivative.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hello , when determining the nature of any stationary points , if the second derivative is equal to 0, we differentiate again, right? and then for it to be a point of inflection what must the third differential equal to? thanks
    For a point of inflection, the third derivative must be non-zero.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The third derivative must exist and not be 0, for this implies that there is a sign change at the second derivative.
    Where do you keep getting this "third derivative" thing from? It's got nothing to do with a point of inflexion.

If the 2nd derivative is 0 then you may or may not have a point of inflexion. If the 2nd derivative is -ve on one side of the point and +ve on the other, then that point is a "point of inflexion" (the curvature changes sign).

(The first derivative can be 0 at a point of inflexion, but it MUST NOT change sign at that point - if it does, then you have a max or min.)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    For a point of inflection, the third derivative must be non-zero.
    Er, y=x^5, x^7, x^9 etc all have points of inflexion at x=0. The third derivative is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, thanks !

Pls can u help me with understading this:
    why cant 4ln(2) - 2 be written as ln(2)^4 - 2 ?
    when i type into calc they are giving different values..
    thanks, laurawoods.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you are doing ln(2^4) and not [ln(2)]^4

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you are doing ln(2^4) and not [ln(2)]^4
    hello there, thanks ...i didnt know it had to be inside...so it is it the number inside raised to k , and not the whole thing being raised to k , right?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yupyup, that is what the identity states

You can also get the identity from combining n*ln(x)=ln(x)+ln(x)+...+ln(x)=ln (x*x*...*x)=ln(x^n)

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.