Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am most likely going to take a gap year after getting poor AS results last year (June 2012-BBBC) and great ones in January 2013 (AAAAAB) pulling me up to an AAA overall. Ive been rejected by LSE (philosphy and economics) and UCL for economics and dont think itd be worth going to my others.

If i come out with an A*AA and take a gap year, how difficult would it be to get unconditional offers from these universities?

LSE
    UCL
    Warwick
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You need to get feedback about why you were rejected. If it was solely due to your grades then you should stand a good chance. If another part of your application was weak you need to find this out now so that you can improve that before applying.

ReputationRep:
    For the top universities, the entrance requirements do not reflect the competition for the course, and so you really need to get higher than what they ask for.

e.g. Economics at Oxford would be AAA on paper, but to stand a remote chance you'd want A*A*A+
    Cambridge openly say that you'd want at least 2-3 A*s to reapply.
    For LSE/UCL, it'll almost certainly be similar, but you might have a slight chance at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal)
    For the top universities, the entrance requirements do not reflect the competition for the course, and so you really need to get higher than what they ask for.

e.g. Economics at Oxford would be AAA on paper, but to stand a remote chance you'd want A*A*A+
    For LSE/UCL, it'll almost certainly be similar, but you might have a slight chance at Warwick.
    On the contrary, entrance requirements do reflect the competition for places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uttamo)
    On the contrary, entrance requirements do reflect the competition for places.
    I meant standard offers (like when they say Economics is A*AA at UCL, for example), sorry.

i.e. what grades you have to meet at A-level once you have an offer - these do not reflect competition for places.

As an example for you, Cambridge Economics is regularly A*A*AA-A*AA, whereas Oxford E&M is almost always AAA.
    LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham etc. all have higher standard offers than Oxford for Economics.
    Manchester has higher standard offers for Physics than anyone else in the country.

ReputationRep:
    I meant standard offers (like when they say Economics is A*AA at UCL, for example), sorry.

i.e. what grades you have to meet at A-level once you have an offer - these do not reflect competition for places.

As an example for you, Cambridge Economics is regularly A*A*AA-A*AA, whereas Oxford E&M is almost always AAA.
    LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham etc. all have higher standard offers than Oxford for Economics.
    Manchester has higher standard offers for Physics than anyone else in the country.
    But UCL (for example) offer AAB to ABB for Archaeology. That doesn't mean Archaeology students are not as clever as Economics students? It simply means there's less competition for places. I see what you are saying though, especially with the Oxford example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uttamo)
    But UCL (for example) offer AAB to ABB for Archaeology. That doesn't mean Archaeology students are not as clever as Economics students? It simply means there's less competition for places. I see what you are saying though, especially with the Oxford example.
    Sorry, I should have been clear - it normally does reflect the competition, but with the most competitive courses at the most competitive universities, it doesn't reflect it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I should have been clear - it normally does reflect the competition, but with the most competitive courses at the most competitive universities, it doesn't reflect it as well.
    Ah yeah, I suppose that is true. They do get misleading at the top end.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys. so your saying Oxbridge, UCL, LSE is very difficult. But i have a chance at warwick with A*AA with an A* in maths/

ReputationRep:
    I think you might get UCL and Warwick.
    Oxbridge and LSE are quite far fetched but if you can come out with an A*AA you could try applying to one of them.
    Then you could put 2 choices as back up.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see the point of having back ups if i dont want to go to them. i have the same problem this year

ReputationRep:

Do they want higher grades if you reapply?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.