Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm currently studying French, Psychology, Sociology and Religious Studies at AS Level.

I want to be a primary school teacher in the future and I would like to go to university to do so, I'm predicted A's and B's in my a levels so hopefully I will be able to get in to University to study education, however I'm a bit unsure of what kind of course I should take?

I live in Nottingham but I do not want to stay in Nottingham for university, I've looked at course such as BA (Honours) Education Studies (ucas code x300) at places such as Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Met and Manchester Met and was wondering if this is the right type of course to take in order to become a primary school teacher? Or should i take a course such as BA (Honours) Primary Education with Qualified Teacher Status (ucas code x120)?

I'm really unsure whether i should take a course that comes with QTS or take a course without and do a pgce afterwards? If you do a course with QTS included do you still have to do a pgce?
    Would appreciate advice from anyone who is at university, training to become a primary school teacher or has reached that level already!

Also I do have a lot of work experience in primary schools already and have booked to do about 3 more weeks worth this year. I will also be doing more work experience next year so I don't think I'll have a problem with not having enough work experience.

Also if anyone is currently studying a course similar to this and are planning to become a primary school teacher, what university are you at how good is your course? Would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Your A levels definitely seem suitable Most universities that offer an education degree have BA courses (leading to QTS) which i'm pretty sure is one of the most popular routes into teaching. You can also do BEd Primary Education which is similar as you do end up as a qualified teacher. I dont know much about the PGCE pathway apart from it's the way into secondary teaching:/ therefore i'd do either BA or BEd. Well done with the work exprience by the way
    Hope i helped + good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissyMe.x)
    Your A levels definitely seem suitable Most universities that offer an education degree have BA courses (leading to QTS) which i'm pretty sure is one of the most popular routes into teaching. You can also do BEd Primary Education which is similar as you do end up as a qualified teacher. I dont know much about the PGCE pathway apart from it's the way into secondary teaching:/ therefore i'd do either BA or BEd. Well done with the work exprience by the way
    Hope i helped + good luck
    There is also a Primary PGCE, so it is possible to take that route too.
    There are so many routes into primary teaching. I am starting BA Primary Education and Teaching in September
    If you are interested in any other subject, you could even do a degree in that, then do PGCE afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to keep you options open and maybe go into secondary later then I'd do a first degree and then a PGCE. If I had my time again I'd do a joint accountancy degree so that I could teach Maths and then PGCE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jprp598)
    Hello I'm currently studying French, Psychology, Sociology and Religious Studies at AS Level.

I want to be a primary school teacher in the future and I would like to go to university to do so, I'm predicted A's and B's in my a levels so hopefully I will be able to get in to University to study education, however I'm a bit unsure of what kind of course I should take?

I live in Nottingham but I do not want to stay in Nottingham for university, I've looked at course such as BA (Honours) Education Studies (ucas code x300) at places such as Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Met and Manchester Met and was wondering if this is the right type of course to take in order to become a primary school teacher? Or should i take a course such as BA (Honours) Primary Education with Qualified Teacher Status (ucas code x120)?

I'm really unsure whether i should take a course that comes with QTS or take a course without and do a pgce afterwards? If you do a course with QTS included do you still have to do a pgce?
    Would appreciate advice from anyone who is at university, training to become a primary school teacher or has reached that level already!

Also I do have a lot of work experience in primary schools already and have booked to do about 3 more weeks worth this year. I will also be doing more work experience next year so I don't think I'll have a problem with not having enough work experience.

Also if anyone is currently studying a course similar to this and are planning to become a primary school teacher, what university are you at how good is your course? Would you recommend?
    If you're set on becoming a primary school teacher then you should do the BA/Bed Primary Education with QTS. This will make you a qualified teacher upon graduating and you won't have to do a PGCE.
    If you want to keep your options open you should do a degree in a subject that interests you and then do a PGCE (or other postgrad teaching course) afterwards. However, be advised that the postgraduate teaching route is VERY competitive and it takes many people a couple of years to get on to one.
    You will not be a qualified teacher after an Education studies degree, nor will it be the same as a proper teaching course.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I saw your thread and thought this may be of use to you!

If you are serious about becoming a primary school teacher then I highly recommend a very cheap book that has served me well that would answer all your questions about which route to take. It's called Tips for Women in Primary Schools and was released in 2013 so it's bang up to date it's only like £2.79 or so. Like I say it has really helped me and will give you a real head start on getting your head round what is essentially a massive and very complex modern career. Its a kindle book but you can get the APP and download it to your iphone thats what I did.

The problem is a lot of people underestimate how difficult it is to become a primary school teacher and think its a piece of cake but the reality is very different. Anyway i know that reading that book got me through the end of my PGCE

The fact that you have loads of in school experience will serve you well but its a different kettle of fish once you get in front of a class!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jprp598)

Hi
    It certainly sounds like you're on the right track If you're 100% sure it's a primary school teacher you want to be I would recommend a BA/Bed Primary Ed course with QTS status. This is because the PGCE course (from what I have heard) is very hard to get a place on. I know someone who got a place and the course she applied for was PGCE and there were only 30 places! :O
    If you're not 100% sure but want to do something in education then by all means go for an education course, just be aware that PGCE is VERY popular and oversubscribed. I'm sure you'll have no problem with showing you have experience and everything,but then neither would hundreds of other candidates. But don't let that put you off. It is possible! Just the 3 year course would be best if you know that's what you want Good luck!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.