Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I read a couple of interesting things in different threads on TSR, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything directly according to the question I was asking myself. I applyed to Durham, Edinburgh, Manchester, UCL and Imperial for an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering (MEng), and I actually have offers from Durham, Manchester and UCL and no answer from Imperial and Edinburgh for the moment. Since I live in Europe, I used international rankings, talked to friends studying in british unis like LSE, Manchester or Warwick and read a couple of things on the internet to know which unis I should apply to. The things I wanted to know is which university is the best to study Mechanical Engineering, which one has the best reputation, which one will give me the best career opportunities after graduating, etc.

ReputationRep:
    The one with best career options after graduation and with the most funding for undergrad has got to be Imperial. If you get a 2.1 or 1 degree at the mech eng faculty, you'll be very employable. Imperial also has links with the financial sector in London, so you'll be able to get in touch with companies such as Goldman Sachs.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your answer. I heard a lot of good things about Imperial, but I also read that there is no social life there, and that the department is really big, which means that there is no real personal help. I read a lot of bad things about the Mech eng department of UCL as well as some good things. I still think that it can't be complet rubbish since UCL is known to be a very good university. What do you think about studying Mech eng at UCL and about the career options after graduating from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bnergiz)
    Thank you for your answer. I heard a lot of good things about Imperial, but I also read that there is no social life there, and that the department is really big, which means that there is no real personal help. I read a lot of bad things about the Mech eng department of UCL as well as some good things. I still think that it can't be complet rubbish since UCL is known to be a very good university. What do you think about studying Mech eng at UCL and about the career options after graduating from there?
    my advice would be go where you like the most and from your post it sounds like ur really interested in UCL, so go there im sure you will still end up with a good degree and good opportunities xD

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm still waiting for the other unis to give me an answer, but like you said I'm very interested in UCL. I like the uni, and the idea of studying in London seems really nice to me.

ReputationRep:
    Your choices of universities for Engineering surprises me.

Edit: Bar Imperial ofcourse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeid1)
    Your choices of universities for Engineering surprises me.

Edit: Bar Imperial ofcourse.
    Why do they surprise you? He obviously wants to go to a big city. They're all decent engineering uni's regardless.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, if the course is Accredited By IMechE then wherever you go will be good. The key diffrence would be the amount of funding the unis put into research vs how much they put into more employability areas. if you want to get the best job, go for one that has good stats with employment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingm)
    Why do they surprise you? He obviously wants to go to a big city. They're all decent engineering uni's regardless.
    Warwick, Durham and UCL are unheard of when it comes to engineering. Warwick is hardly a big city, nor is Edinburgh and Durham doesn't need mentioning when talking about large cities! If he was looking for good engineering universities (which the op is clearly capable of) I would have expected the likes of Southampton, Bristol, Loughborough, Bath.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.