The Student Room Group

clinical psychology

iv decided that i want to become a clinical psychologist, im starting at leeds uni in september studying psychology.

I'm just wondering, what i have to do to become a clinical psychologist, Iv had a look online but i cant seem to find much, does anyone know which post grad degree i have to do after? is it just a phd in clinical psychology? confuseddd

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi,
I'm currently in my third year studying Psychology and am planning the exact same thing in the future. I think generally you have to do a masters/phd if you want to become any psychologist though it doesn't necessarily have to be in clinical psychology, you just pick the topics that interest you the most at that point. I am planning to do a masters in psychology and then a doctorate in clinical psychology for my final studies. Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by xcherryx
Hi,
I'm currently in my third year studying Psychology and am planning the exact same thing in the future. I think generally you have to do a masters/phd if you want to become any psychologist though it doesn't necessarily have to be in clinical psychology, you just pick the topics that interest you the most at that point. I am planning to do a masters in psychology and then a doctorate in clinical psychology for my final studies. Hope that helped :smile:

thank you! have you done any work experience/volunteering?
To become a clinical psychologist you need a doctorate in clinical psychology, but it's very competitive. Most people get a master's and few years of experience before getting on, or even a PHD :smile:
Teaandsugar is right, it's a very competitive field to get into.The actual course you need to get onto is the doctorate in clinical psychology, but to get onto this course you need a good psychology honours degree which is accredited by the BPS. You also need plenty of experience in related fields. While studying for your degree, you could try and get some work experience shadowing mental health workers and try and do some voluntary work which shows a caring attitude of any type :smile:
After you've completed your degree, gaining the relevant experience to get onto the doctorate typically involves working as an Assistant Psychologist in the NHS for 1 year to gain experience of what the role involves.
It's a long hard route to get into it, but if its what you want it's definitely worth it so go for it! Here's a link which I found helpful:
http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-education-training/how-become-psychologist/types-psychologists/becoming-clinical-psychologis
Reply 5
Original post by SpottedZebra
Teaandsugar is right, it's a very competitive field to get into.The actual course you need to get onto is the doctorate in clinical psychology, but to get onto this course you need a good psychology honours degree which is accredited by the BPS. You also need plenty of experience in related fields. While studying for your degree, you could try and get some work experience shadowing mental health workers and try and do some voluntary work which shows a caring attitude of any type :smile:
After you've completed your degree, gaining the relevant experience to get onto the doctorate typically involves working as an Assistant Psychologist in the NHS for 1 year to gain experience of what the role involves.
It's a long hard route to get into it, but if its what you want it's definitely worth it so go for it! Here's a link which I found helpful:
http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-education-training/how-become-psychologist/types-psychologists/becoming-clinical-psychologis

thanks, that really helped :smile:
Original post by Jessica_94
thanks, that really helped :smile:

No problem :smile: good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending