Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Duke of Edinburgh awards! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing a Duke of Edinburgh award at the moment by any chance? I'm doing bronze at the moment and it's going pretty well.
    What have you/are doing done for your sections? How are you finding it?

Edit:
    I think I may do Silver and Gold, but it sounds really daunting! Willing to give them a go though, if it's worth it and is rewarding. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I have done both Bronze and Silver and just about to start Gold. For Bronze I did Badminton for my physical, Lifesaving (swimming) for my skills and I volunteered at a local Charity shop. I found Bronze very rewarding and it influenced my decision to do Silver! Then for Silver, I did badminton again for my physical, cookery for my skills and I volunteered at the same local charity shop. For my Gold i am going to do: St Johns Ambulance for my skill, Archery for my physical and Volunteering at a local hospital. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm a DofE Leader but currently doing my Gold.

I started cycling for my Physical - just to and from uni every day but all adds up! Was a good way to keep in shape so maybe I'll get some brake levers fitted and start again (somebody nicked my last set )

For Volunteering I was a Course Rep at university - effectively collecting the views of students on my course and campaigning for a better academic experience

Skill I did mountaineering and started my Mountain Leader Award. Naturally this helps with the Expedition section too!

Have a practice expedition in the Peak District next weekend, but I seem to have misplaced my Keeping Track booklet, having not used it for years, and don't have an eDofE login.. d'oh!

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I am looking for any dofe gold residential ideas that people would recommend or have heard about others doing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm now completing my gold award! I didn't do the bronze or silver award so my volunteering and physical sections had a longer duration to people who had done the bronze and the silver.

I did helping out at a local high school for my volunteering, swimming for my physical, driving for my skill. I'm still looking for a residential!

I did my practice expedition in the Peak District and my real expedition in the Yorkshire dales doing the 3 peaks.

I'm hoping to get the award before I go to uni in September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doing Bronze at school at the moment

Volunteering - planning on working in a charity shop with my friend - just waiting for the girls currently working there to leave after easter

Physical - rock climbing it's actually really fun - pretty slow progress though

Skills - singing

Expedition - going to the South Downs in June, and I have a practice next week and also one in April.

Yeah - anyone thinking of doing dofe should - really fun, you'll get a lot out of it and it looks good on a CV too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Bronze at the moment.
    For my Physical I'm doing Tennis, I learnt how to play cards and general card skills for my Skills, and I volunteer at a school club to help the young students learn how to read. And then i've got my expedition in May which will hopefully be pretty cool. And overall it's been a really good experience, but I can't wait for my expedition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinb184)
    Hi - I am looking for any dofe gold residential ideas that people would recommend or have heard about others doing?
    For my residential i am helping out on a summer camp for kids hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my bronze. I've done chess for my skill, volunteering in the school library as my volunteering (duh) and Zumba for my physical . I'll be doing my practice expedition in May and my proper expedition in July. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    For my bronze volunteering I worked in a charity shop, for my skills I did violin, and for my physical I'm doing archery

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Gold and looking for Residential Ideas I recommend this.

http://www.grafham-water-centre.co.uk/activity-courses/duke-of-edinburgh-gold-residential

I did my residential with them last october and it was fantastic! Met some cool people too, one who is actually in my halls at uni come september (small world).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinb184)
    If you are looking to do something for free, I went to Talylln Railway on the Welsh Coast, and I would definitely recommend it.

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Is DofE worth it? I'm thinking of doing bronze next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've done everything but the Skills part of the Bronze Award and it's almost been a year since I was meant to have finished.

Even though I have til I'm 21 I want to finish it NOW. There just isn't much to do in my area.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.