Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 (should be year 13) and will soon after my june exams be writing my personal statemet. I am looking to study a BA honours in education, to enable me to become a primary school teacher.

When I was taking my year 11 GCSE exams my mum passed away (I was 15, and I'm now 17) which caused me to get grades which weren't as high as I could have achieved, I got 7 B's, 3 C's, 1 D and a Merit in ICT (I was predicted A's and A*'s in most subjects) But because I ended up missing a few months off school and didn't feel motivated at all to do work I really struggled with them. I then started A levels at my school's sixth form and took Maths, Chemistry, Biology and French, however after taking my January exams and completely messing them up I decided to quit my sixth form. (Please bear in mind I was suffering from depression and my Dad was in hospital for 7 weeks before my January exam, so I felt I really could't cope and basically didn't revise for them)

I then started a new sixth form in September, so I am basically redoing my AS levels but I have taken completely different subjects. (I'm already doing better, I passed my january exams woohoo!)

Basically I am wondering whether i need to explain why it will take me 3 years to complete my a levels and not 2 years? Should I write about my circumstances/struggles? Or can i act like nothing happened and not even mention my failed year at my first sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    No, you do not need to explain your educational history in your personal statement. You just need to write about the course you would love, how you have been working towards becoming said person e.t.c. You need to tell them about you and the course.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.