Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outtacontrol)
    That's cool! I'm already here actually, it's quite nice, but very quiet at the moment haha.
    Ohh okay! Lool this time in four weeks it wont be!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say hey! My friend and I are moving to Ham Cam on the 14th Sept for our first year at BCU. We are both so excited, cant wait to meet everyone! Will be a busy day but we have already arranged to do drinks at night to meet everyone! Come and say hey!! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shan5)
    Ohh okay! Lool this time in four weeks it wont be!
    Yeah hopefully not!! There's a lot of security here though, I hope it's not going to be really strict.

(Original post by Cococo)
    Just wanted to say hey! My friend and I are moving to Ham Cam on the 14th Sept for our first year at BCU. We are both so excited, cant wait to meet everyone! Will be a busy day but we have already arranged to do drinks at night to meet everyone! Come and say hey!! :-)
    Wow cool! BCU might have an event on that night as well. I think last year we had a warm-up party at Lounge North on the Saturday.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hopefully not!! There's a lot of security here though, I hope it's not going to be really strict.

I heard it okay tbh. Carnt wait. Its taking ages to come!!

Wow cool! BCU might have an event on that night as well. I think last year we had a warm-up party at Lounge North on the Saturday.
    Think a few ppl are throwing a drinks night on move in day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cococo)

Yepp i"ll be coming to say hey along with a couple others! Haha

ReputationRep:
    And don't forget the free pizza down the Village Inn pub at Hamcam too - always good to soak up the beer before the next round!! Always important when it's £5 for 3 Jager bombs!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balpizzle)
    'every year you were there'??? If it was so bad, why did you stay?
    yeahh every year I was there that's what I said lol... like I said it wasn't ALL bad but yes there were a lot of negative things about the place which I only decided to rant about online because of the final straw that broke the camels back and I felt that people ought to know what they could be letting themselves in for should they choose to stay there. Most of the friends I had stayed there for their second year so why would I move? and actually in the first year when the heating did go out they did offer to provide portable electric heaters which helped at the time but in my final year I was made to give a portable heater I had back to the office in the middle of WINTER when it was FREEZING because apparently the whole of another block of flats didn't have any heating at all. I actually did plan to get another place for my third year but unluckily couldn't get a place suitable enough. I'm just writing about my experiences plain and simple... doesn't mean to say others will have the same experience.. just saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shan5)
    Okay, sounds like you had a bad experience! However alot of people have told me mixed opinions, most of them being positive. So i guess people that are moving in there this year will have to judge for themselves.
    And fair enough its in handsworth wood, but the crime aint that bad at all! And i"ve lived in a much worse place for the last 14years which is lozells!! And i have felt safe as can be round there. These days in birmingham, no matter where you live, your at risk of being attacked . I mean like last year i lived in the ensuite apartments in the mailbox by broadstreet! And alot of people think that its posh and perfect round there. Where in fact there were so many robberies, both armed and non armed. And at one point me and few friends just got back through the secured gates to where we were staying and someone wanted for armed rape followed a group of girls in just before we got there. So really and truely i guess ur eyes need to be open in area of birmingham.

I am a bit weiry about the contract, seems a little too good to be true. But i will keep an eye for things that you have pointed out in that section. :-)

I am staying in a 5bedroom flat and it seems like the main problems are occuring in the halls?

But thanks for post your "rant" lol, it has made me watch out for a few things this year. :-)
    lol definitely do watch for em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgiePi)
    Just a note from someone who has lived at Hamstead for all 3 years of my degree (2010-2013), in the hall - its great. the staff are really friendly and if you do have a problem (for example the shower) just tell them at the accommodation office and usually they'll send someone to look at it the same day. in my final year the hob in our kitchen broke and it was replaced within a week. there is 24/7 security so there is always someone on hand.

some points reading through the comments above:

yes there is a drugs presence on campus, there will be in any halls you go in I'm afraid, but you only have to deal with it if you're friends with people who use.

I have never seen a rat. cats, a fox and a hedgehog yes, but no rats.

noise complaints are dealt with swiftly - the chap below me liked his music loud but security always got him to turn it down to a reasonable level within 10 mins of my complaint.

the gym is fairly small but (when i was there) it was about £15 for the year, so what do you expect - if you want more equipment join the main uni gym at perry barr.

Yes there is crime in the area (but there is in the whole of Birmingham!) it never put me off living there, I never had any problems and as I say, the security on site is 24/7.

the cleaners in the main hall building work 5 days a week, kitchens and bathrooms are cleaned everyday. of course the bins are left over the weekend, and emptied first thing on monday, whereas in most halls (like the flats at hamstead) you are responsible for taking out your own trash. If the smell bothers you I suggest you do this.

the heating in the main hall works fine and it was very cosy in the winter.

I never had a mouldy window.

I lived at Hamstead even though I studied at the city centre campus, the 16 bus is very direct and takes about 20 mins.

So I would deffo recommend living here, I had a wonderful 3 years and didn't want to leave. there is a park area out the front of the hall which is great in the summer, and its a short walk from Handsworth park with is really lovely. I also had a bus pass included in my contract which was a great saving.
    Just clarify I never said that EVERYONES experience is gonna be the same as mine, just putting out what MY own experience was and like I've said before just because u didn't see rats doesn't mean there weren't any.. and actually half the people I knew that stayed in halls all complained about their heating being really low and the showers having no hot water, yes the showers were fixed eventually but when my friend called the office to ask if she could use the shower in one of the flats because she was having her time of the month and need to go uni (since they had hot water still - unlike the halls) the person who answered at the time flat out said NO - even though they could have allowed her use one of the showers in the spare flats... I don't call that helpful..do u? At the end of the day you pay for a service in accommodation when u rent a place you don't expect for the heating to go out in crucial times during winter or for there to be no hot water until the after for several days it wasn't the first time they had the problem you would have thought by my 3rd year atleast that problem would be sorted, maybe the water piping system needs to be changed since its an ancient building.. I don't know.. but in any case it was my experience, just something for people to think about before they decide to commit living in a place for a year.

ReputationRep:
    im starting bcu in september and im thinking of staying in hamstead halls, i would rather of stayed in jennens court but its double my student loan so this looks like the better option.. the only thing im worried about is that there will be no first years here as ive heard its primarily second and third years.. is this true? also are you still involved with freshers week and all the student union stuff?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student studying BA fine art, and yes, are they involved in freshens week?

ReputationRep:
    Kaya 1717 I would say your assessment of the campus is fairly accurate, the reason the gym equipment is so often out of action is because they get the gardeners to do the repairs and safety checks on the equipment! If you see them working on the machines you'll notice they're the ground staff who have no knowledge of the equipment whatsoever or what they should be looking for! They're also the same people that put the equipment together so good luck.This is mainly because they're too tight to get a proper company in I would imagine. It's not all bad tho there is opportunities to make a little money, just this summer they were paying students not to use their toilets because sewage was flooding into the flats below! And bang on about the rude staff zero people skills.

ReputationRep:
    I must say I agree with some of the negatives of the residence, I mean the halls are really noisy, and the staff is not good with people at all. The bathrooms are disgusting and the toilets are clogged once a week. The gym is super small and yes the equipment breaks down all the time. I have lived here for three months now and twice the showers have been ice cold. But I mean it is cheap so I guess you get what you pay for. But I would warn people from taking the bus late at night since there are some dodgy people on them and I have already witnessed two fights on the bus.

ReputationRep:
    sorry this is a long one, I don't normally write reviews online but this accommodation made me want to write one.

I stayed in the halls at hamstead campus in my first year and boy do I have a few things to say about it . firstly Its my own fault that I ended up at this campus, I got my BCU place a week before my course was about to start and hamstead campus was the only one with rooms available, trust me I tried to call all the different accommodations and nothing else was available. I didn't have time come in a see the halls, but the picture in my head was a flat of 5-10 people, a shared bathroom,toilet and kitchen fair enough. When I got there it was alot different and I don't know if it was just me but the way they explained it on the website was not what I expected on my way to this campus, I was so excited on my way there, thinking what my flatmates will be like. The halls are a long corridor of rooms, toilets and showers on one side and kitchens on the other. You don't have any flat mates here, you live next to people but nothing forces you to communicate with them. most of the time its just 'hi and 'bye', the girls all locked away upstairs.

As soon as I moved here I wanted out, I knew what other accommodations were like at other campus, I was notified cosmo had rooms available a week after signing the contract, But cause of the way hamcam's contract works, I could move out but I would have to carry on paying the rent until I could find someone to live here for me, which is pretty hard. Cause hamstead campus halls are normally the last resort for anyone.
    by far hamstead campus is the most depressing halls in the world for a first year student, please if you are thinking about staying in the halls come to the campus and view the room before applying I really wish I did, I've also heard the flats are pretty good, but the halls for me were S***.

The rent - pretty cheap but you pay for what you get, I would happily pay twice as much for a flat in a normal halls of residence in the city.

Travelling - You get a free bus pass with the £75 offer, really comes in handy! Millennium point is a 20 minute bus ride away, I had to leave 40 minutes before to get to campus on time and about an 1 hour/hour and a half walk. Perry bar is much closer, around 10 minutes on bus and a 30 minute walk. 16/16a bus to and from town always has weird people, just saying
    buses finish at 11:30, I'm not the type to get a taxi on my own, cause it seems like a waste of money, I've walked it to town just because any excuse I got to leave this place and go somewhere else for the night I would

On campus activities -
    - Gym free to use once you've done an induction, its okay but no barbell only dumbells.
    - Football courts are pretty good they
    play on Tuesdays and Thursdays around 6 till 9, you can meet quite a few people there.
    - Study room is
    a good place to do your work
    -
    on campus shop comes in handy for necessities
    - on campus pub, its quite nice inside, good place to get a quiet drink. But I was expecting a pub such as Aston's Gosta Green, nothing like that. Every time I went there it was so dead

Security - You feel very safe on campus, 24 hour security etc
    To have friends stay over you got to sign them in, you can have 3 guests stay for a period of 3 days. It does not matter what time they come (this may seem bad compared to some accommodations and others it may seem good, depending on the rules it has)
    Security on campus is strict, they let you get away with alot of stuff but I remember once at 3am my friends were thrown out because they weren't signed in.

The halls - Girls on the top floor and guys on the bottom? absolutely hate it, didn't see many girls at this campus, just a load of guys
    only time I enjoyed myself at this campus was when friends from home came to visit.
    -The heating is so rubbish, the radiator doesn't even heat up, its just the pipes around that warm the room up, some people feel there rooms are too cold and brought electric heaters from home, make sure they don't see you bringing it. I heard they don't like it
    -Didn't mix with alot of people at this campus, everyone just stick to their own ethnic groups here.
    -If you have nothing to do on you day off you will be mega depressed
    -Because the layout is not the same as usual halls, it makes it so hard to make friends, till this day I never found out what the names of the guys were that lived opposite and next to me. I think because it is set out how it is (a long corridor rather than a flat with several rooms) it makes it hard to make good relationships with people around you.
    - Wifi is pretty good here, bring a router for wireless

The Flats- I've heard flats are pretty decent and alot of fun, also lots of parties there, They have a range of flats, two bedrooms, Five bedrooms and Studios, all seem decent except for halls.

Anyway whenever I think about this campus I feel hate for it because i feel it ruined my first year at university. I wanted to go out clubbing a lot more than I actually did, my freshers here was rubbish, I only made a couple friends, I didn't meet any girls on campus,
    and maybe I could have tried harder to mix around, but I thought I did enough and didn't expect my first year at uni being so depressing that I moved back home the year after. Please do your research before you think about coming here, I wish I applied earlier and got one of the city centre accommodations such as the heights or cosmo. For me they should knock down the halls and build new, first year flats, with en suites because right now the halls are the worst place on earth.

If I had a choice to stay at home for my first year or move to this accommodation for my first year, I would rather live at home. So please do yourself a favour and avoid this campus.

Thank you Hamcam for ruining my first year at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercoverbrudda)
    sorry this is a long one, I don't normally write reviews online but this accommodation made me want to write one.

I stayed in the halls at hamstead campus in my first year and boy do I have a few things to say about it . firstly Its my own fault that I ended up at this campus, I got my BCU place a week before my course was about to start and hamstead campus was the only one with rooms available, trust me I tried to call all the different accommodations and nothing else was available. I didn't have time come in a see the halls, but the picture in my head was a flat of 5-10 people, a shared bathroom,toilet and kitchen fair enough. When I got there it was alot different and I don't know if it was just me but the way they explained it on the website was not what I expected on my way to this campus, I was so excited on my way there, thinking what my flatmates will be like. The halls are a long corridor of rooms, toilets and showers on one side and kitchens on the other. You don't have any flat mates here, you live next to people but nothing forces you to communicate with them. most of the time its just 'hi and 'bye', the girls all locked away upstairs.

As soon as I moved here I wanted out, I knew what other accommodations were like at other campus, I was notified cosmo had rooms available a week after signing the contract, But cause of the way hamcam's contract works, I could move out but I would have to carry on paying the rent until I could find someone to live here for me, which is pretty hard. Cause hamstead campus halls are normally the last resort for anyone.
    by far hamstead campus is the most depressing halls in the world for a first year student, please if you are thinking about staying in the halls come to the campus and view the room before applying I really wish I did, I've also heard the flats are pretty good, but the halls for me were S***.

The rent - pretty cheap but you pay for what you get, I would happily pay twice as much for a flat in a normal halls of residence in the city.

Travelling - You get a free bus pass with the £75 offer, really comes in handy! Millennium point is a 20 minute bus ride away, I had to leave 40 minutes before to get to campus on time and about an 1 hour/hour and a half walk. Perry bar is much closer, around 10 minutes on bus and a 30 minute walk. 16/16a bus to and from town always has weird people, just saying
    buses finish at 11:30, I'm not the type to get a taxi on my own, cause it seems like a waste of money, I've walked it to town just because any excuse I got to leave this place and go somewhere else for the night I would

On campus activities -
    - Gym free to use once you've done an induction, its okay but no barbell only dumbells.
    - Football courts are pretty good they
    play on Tuesdays and Thursdays around 6 till 9, you can meet quite a few people there.
    - Study room is
    a good place to do your work
    -
    on campus shop comes in handy for necessities
    - on campus pub, its quite nice inside, good place to get a quiet drink. But I was expecting a pub such as Aston's Gosta Green, nothing like that. Every time I went there it was so dead

Security - You feel very safe on campus, 24 hour security etc
    To have friends stay over you got to sign them in, you can have 3 guests stay for a period of 3 days. It does not matter what time they come (this may seem bad compared to some accommodations and others it may seem good, depending on the rules it has)
    Security on campus is strict, they let you get away with alot of stuff but I remember once at 3am my friends were thrown out because they weren't signed in.

The halls - Girls on the top floor and guys on the bottom? absolutely hate it, didn't see many girls at this campus, just a load of guys
    only time I enjoyed myself at this campus was when friends from home came to visit.
    -The heating is so rubbish, the radiator doesn't even heat up, its just the pipes around that warm the room up, some people feel there rooms are too cold and brought electric heaters from home, make sure they don't see you bringing it. I heard they don't like it
    -Didn't mix with alot of people at this campus, everyone just stick to their own ethnic groups here.
    -If you have nothing to do on you day off you will be mega depressed
    -Because the layout is not the same as usual halls, it makes it so hard to make friends, till this day I never found out what the names of the guys were that lived opposite and next to me. I think because it is set out how it is (a long corridor rather than a flat with several rooms) it makes it hard to make good relationships with people around you.
    - Wifi is pretty good here, bring a router for wireless

The Flats- I've heard flats are pretty decent and alot of fun, also lots of parties there, They have a range of flats, two bedrooms, Five bedrooms and Studios, all seem decent except for halls.

Anyway whenever I think about this campus I feel hate for it because i feel it ruined my first year at university. I wanted to go out clubbing a lot more than I actually did, my freshers here was rubbish, I only made a couple friends, I didn't meet any girls on campus,
    and maybe I could have tried harder to mix around, but I thought I did enough and didn't expect my first year at uni being so depressing that I moved back home the year after. Please do your research before you think about coming here, I wish I applied earlier and got one of the city centre accommodations such as the heights or cosmo. For me they should knock down the halls and build new, first year flats, with en suites because right now the halls are the worst place on earth.

If I had a choice to stay at home for my first year or move to this accommodation for my first year, I would rather live at home. So please do yourself a favour and avoid this campus.

Thank you Hamcam for ruining my first year at university.
    Where did you live in your second year bro? I was kind of caught out when I moved in to the halls, expecting the same thing as you haha. Luckily I'm just over here for the summer before I move into a house in Selly. Couple of weeks then I'm out! phewwwww

ReputationRep:
    What date is everybody moving in?
    8th 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The traditional halls are a bit grim, for anyone looking in the future. For the price you won't beat it, but the kitchens are disgusting, the fittings are all old, the toilets don't or barely flush, the showers aren't great. Sharing toilets with about 30 others is far from ideal especially when there's not even toilet paper or soap. Staying over the summer was a struggle, let alone 10 months. Getting into town is long as well, you're looking at like half an hour on the bus.

For record though I visited mates in the flats a few times and they were fine, plus they were only like a tenner more.

ReputationRep:
    don't think ham cam was your reason for not meeting girls ha.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2016
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.