Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    When cutting the top rate of tax from 50% - 45% the people who opposed it make arguments such as
    "those who are privileged should pay more"

"the rich have a duty of care to the poor"
    etc etc etc

they then call for another 5% increase up to 50%.

NOW lets take the average student (as that is the demographic of this forum) who lives off around £6000 a year. To billions of people in the world the typical student lives a life of luxury there are many many people worse off. Surely you have a duty of care to them? Are you willing to donate 5% of your yearly amount to a chairty (£300)?
    Surely, if you apply the same arguments you use against those better off than you, you should donate £300 a year to charity.

Just to note I don't have a problem with the 45% tax rate and i also don't donate large amounts to charity. I'm just sick of hypocrisy and people only applying an argument in a one sided manner.

Also I have never encountered a student who genuinely could not afford £300 a year.

ReputationRep:
    No, other countries with lower incomes have lower price levels, so living costs are lower. £6000 here is probably less than £300 in an Indian slum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Duck)
    No, other countries with lower incomes have lower price levels, so living costs are lower. £6000 here is probably less than £300 in an Indian slum.
    that's not the point.

The point is that people are banging on about rich people giving to the poor because it's their "duty" yet they don't give to people worse of than themselves the cost of living it irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    that's not the point.

The point is that people are banging on about rich people giving to the poor because it's their "duty" yet they don't give to people worse of than themselves the cost of living it irrelevant.
    But if a country has a high cost of living then the people there arent better off than people with less money in a place where they can buy the same amount of stuff for that money. Its not a matter of how many pounds you have, rather what you can do with it that determines how well off you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Duck)
    But if a country has a high cost of living then the people there arent better off than people with less money in a place where they can buy the same amount of stuff for that money. Its not a matter of how many pounds you have, rather what you can do with it that determines how well off you are.
    are you trying to deny that there's poverty in the world?

My point is

£300 > charity > helps people in poverty

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.